HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I just finished my install. I purchased the Morimoto Elite HID Silverado kit with 5500K bulbs from Fast Headlights.

It only took about 20 minutes to hook everything up for the initial test, then several hours routing wires and choosing where to mount items to make the install look clean.

I mounted the passenger side ballast and relay under the plastic cover behind the top of the grill and in front of the radiator. The drivers side ballast was mounted to the metal pillar next to the bulb cover. The install looks really clean, but it will be a real pita when/if I need to replace a component.

post-36124-0-52618100-1470164539_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just finished my install. I purchased the Morimoto Elite HID Silverado kit with 5500K bulbs from Fast Headlights.

It only took about 20 minutes to hook everything up for the initial test, then several hours routing wires and choosing where to mount items to make the install look clean.

I mounted the passenger side ballast and relay under the plastic cover behind the top of the grill and in front of the radiator. The drivers side ballast was mounted to the metal pillar next to the bulb cover. The install looks really clean, but it will be a real pita when/if I need to replace a component.

attachicon.gifIMG_3491.JPG

Looks great bud! Thanks for your business :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So I bought a set of Kensun HIDs off Amazon (I know...), and hooked everything up. I did not run a wire or harness to the battery, and I will not be doing that (because it's bullshit). The issue is that the lights work perfect when the truck is off, but when I start the truck, the HIDs come on and warm up, then shut off and will not come back on... I don't have warning cancellers/capacitors, will they fix the issue?

Edited by 650h1

So I bought a set of Kensun HIDs off Amazon (I know...), and hooked everything up. I did not run a wire or harness to the battery, and I will not be doing that (because it's bullshit). The issue is that the lights work perfect when the truck is off, but when I start the truck, the HIDs come on and warm up, then shut off and will not come back on... I don't have warning cancellers/capacitors, will they fix the issue?

This might help you:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/183835-hid-issues-15-silverado/?hl=kensun

Hey all I'm new here I have a 2015 Gmc and thinking eather hid or led never had less before but I have had hids in past trucks but never with the projector lens I was looking at DDM 8000k with the wire harness but do I need to do anything with resisters or anything else I don't wanna. Burn up the housing what do you guys recamend also should I get 35w or 55w I wanna get LEDs from vleds for fog lights and also is there a way to disable the day time running lights

Hey all I'm new here I have a 2015 Gmc and thinking eather hid or led never had less before but I have had hids in past trucks but never with the projector lens I was looking at DDM 8000k with the wire harness but do I need to do anything with resisters or anything else I don't wanna. Burn up the housing what do you guys recamend also should I get 35w or 55w I wanna get LEDs from vleds for fog lights and also is there a way to disable the day time running lights

1.) You will need the anti flicker/capacitors

• I ordered one for lows and one for highs. Fogs are fine without them. The highs may not need them either but I figured why not. Sierra's may only need one since I think the high/low are the same bulb.

2.) You will need a relay harness

• Again, one for high, one for low. I believe DDM sells a harness that will run both highs and lows to one harness. Check the previous posts to see if your truck uses the same bulb for high/low.

3.) You will find loads of people running 55w and 35w without any issues.

• I ordered 55W for the hights/lows and 35W for the fogs. You are always taking a risk when swapping factory stuff for aftermarket. I have had good luck in the past with previous 1500's and no melting anywhere. From what I researched, no one has had any issues other than a few cases with fogs.

4.) No way of disabling the DRL on the Sierra's that I am aware of.

• Gen5DIY sells a disable harness but it only fits the silverados.

Ya I'm told it's a 9012 build from vleds for the hid cause the shutter changes the light output they said just the one bulb and the shutter opens for more light output when I hit the highs Do the capacitors come on a harness or I have to wire them in

Pretty much anything you buy HID wise now a days is all 'plug-N-play." There is not cutting or splicing of any wires. You just need to make sure you wire it correctly. This is quote from the very first page in this thread:

-Single input harness will have two headlight-type plugs for the ballasts and a third input designed to connect to the stock headlight source. You must flip/reverse the connection between the stock signal and capacitor to account for the truck's reversed polarity. From the capacitor, you'll then connect relay, to ballasts, then to bulbs (see attached diagram)

-Dual input harness will have two headlight-type plugs for the ballasts and two inputs designed to connect to the both stock headlight sources. You will not flip any connections during wiring. The stock signals connect normally to capacitors, who then connect to relay, to ballasts, then to bulbs (see attached diagram)

Regardless of which you have, just remember the flow should be "Stock Signal ---> Capacitor ---> Relay ---> Ballasts ---> Bulbs"

That I can't help you with but if you search through this entire thread, you will find your answer. The search tool really is helpful when you use it. That kit seems a bit high priced and it still probably a china made kit. I ordered mine from amazon for almost half the price of that.

I ordered everything I thought I would need, and probably a little extra. I can always send back what I don't end up using anyways. I have installed a few conversions over the years but never had to use the relay kit or capacitors. It is all pretty standard anyways and it is literally plug-N-play.

Here is the 55W kit I ordered x 2 (H11 and 9005):

https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conversion-Colors-Digital-Ballasts/dp/B004ZF4MW8/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470856274&sr=1-6&keywords=hid+kit

Relay kit x 2 (again, not sure if it is needed for highs, maybe someone can chime in):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FP0G5EK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Capacitors/Anti Flickers x 2 (again, not sure if it is needed for highs or lows since it is a 55W kit, maybe someone can chime in):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTOB0NG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

35W 5202 kit for fogs x 1:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050Z9Y70/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adapter plug for fogs x 1:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9HUS1G/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by SouthPawCO