HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Thanks but we have already clarified this. You dont actually lose the high beams. The bulbs are still there. Me personally didnt hook the stock high beams up when I did a FXR retrofit. The FXR kit DOES have a shutter, and since my hids are already warmed up ready to go, I hooked up my high beams from there. You still can use your high beams but I just left them disconnected.

Well thanks to my great phone, it showed that as the last response. Once I posted it, it took me to the last page of the thread and showed were it had been covered haha.

Along with this, are you talking about the two wires under the FXR? Did you just connect those to your high beam socket? That is rather interesting.

Well my FXR kit came in last friday and I finally have some time to install it tonight after work. After my first HID install on the highs/lows, I keep getting moisture in them. It seems to start at the bottom of the assembly where the highs are and work its way up. I am hoping it is either because the dust seals are not on correctly (would be strange it both were misaligned) or I can add some silicone to the grommets for the bulbs. It is really starting to get annoying. It didn't help that I saw someone walk by truck and say "Wow! That is a good looking truck" and then they pointed out the headlights and said "ohhhh that sucks.."

If you need any accessories, would love to help. We have couple of toys for you at www.eTruckGear.com and offer honest service ( with 100 % positive Amazon feedback we try hard to be there for the customer)

Stop by and take a look. Tonno Pro is a nice brand to look at. Not that well known but super quality and low price. We are also Weathertech approved, meaning warranty applies as opposed to purchases on Amazon. Don't like Weathertech? We have Anzo, Husky or Maxliner. Amp Research, Thule, Warn, Rhino Rack. Will be glad to help.

I've noticed that Kensun and XenonDepot are now offering their H11 HID conversion kits in an L shaped bulb like the halogens instead of the straight configuration that is most common. Anyone know anything about those?

Edited by j3st3r
  • Like 1

Yes I got the ones from xenon depot they fit nice but didn't work I got the 55 watt ballest with power supply harness and caps nothing work and the plugs to go in the dust cap to come out into the ballest like most are part of the granite to seal these were not they were a separate wire that I had a cut into the grommet to feed the wires through so I sent them back they sent me my money back and I went with DDM tuning Iv had them in the past with no problems and I got the 35 watt canbus set just plug and play no caps no error light indicators it's all incorporated into the canbus ballast no problems at all love them if I fuger out how to load pics on here I would post some pics of them but don't know how to take a 1mb pic

I've noticed that Kensun and XenonDepot are now offering their H11 HID conversion kits in an L shaped bulb like the halogens instead of the straight configuration that is most common. Anyone know anything about those?

I did see notice that when I ordered but on my silverado the straight type bulb fit just fine under the cap. If you are going to go with Kensun, you have to use their resistor style relay harness with no capacitors. I couldn't get them to work otherwise.

I am all for being frugal and saving cost but IMO, buy the Morimoto kit and save yourself the headache. YMMV.

Yes I got the ones from xenon depot they fit nice but didn't work I got the 55 watt ballest with power supply harness and caps nothing work and the plugs to go in the dust cap to come out into the ballest like most are part of the granite to seal these were not they were a separate wire that I had a cut into the grommet to feed the wires through so I sent them back they sent me my money back and I went with DDM tuning Iv had them in the past with no problems and I got the 35 watt canbus set just plug and play no caps no error light indicators it's all incorporated into the canbus ballast no problems at all love them if I fuger out how to load pics on here I would post some pics of them but don't know how to take a 1mb pic

Any problem getting the stock dust caps back on using the straight h11? Did you use H11 or H11B? Seems I read most could not get the dust caps back on. Or did I imagine that? It's a really long thread.

• Like 1

I did see notice that when I ordered but on my silverado the straight type bulb fit just fine under the cap. If you are going to go with Kensun, you have to use their resistor style relay harness with no capacitors. I couldn't get them to work otherwise.

I am all for being frugal and saving cost but IMO, buy the Morimoto kit and save yourself the headache. YMMV.

Not trying to be frugal at all. Just thought I had read where people were having trouble putting the dust caps back on. Figured I would bypass that with the L shaped bulb. I would rather go with a morimoto set if it's not a problem getting the caps back on. You did the FXR upgrade didn't you? No problems with the dust caps and the bigger projector? Doesn't it use a DS2 or D2S (I think that's the right number) bulb? If so, is that a straight or L Shaped? Not sure why some are having trouble and others aren't. Drilling the hole for the grommet in a different spot or something? Didn't a user on here fab new extended dust caps for the Silverado because his factory wouldn't fit after the upgrade to HID? Edited by j3st3r

Any problem getting the stock dust caps back on using the straight h11? Did you use H11 or H11B? Seems I read most could not get the dust caps back on. Or did I imagine that? It's a really long thread.

Dust cap went right on no prob I didn't use H11 I have a gmc with projector head light so I use a 9012 non angled and had no problems send me a pm with your email and I can email you pics of it so you can see my from has a 14 Chevy and he had no problems with his

Dust cap went right on no prob I didn't use H11 I have a gmc with projector head light so I use a 9012 non angled and had no problems send me a pm with your email and I can email you pics of it so you can see my from has a 14 Chevy and he had no problems with his

Pm sent.

Not trying to be frugal at all. Just thought I had read where people were having trouble putting the dust caps back on. Figured I would bypass that with the L shaped bulb. I would rather go with a morimoto set if it's not a problem getting the caps back on. You did the FXR upgrade didn't you? No problems with the dust caps and the bigger projector? Doesn't it use a DS2 or D2S (I think that's the right number) bulb? If so, is that a straight or L Shaped? Not sure why some are having trouble and others aren't. Drilling the hole for the grommet in a different spot or something? Didn't a user on here fab new extended dust caps for the Silverado because his factory wouldn't fit after the upgrade to HID?

A standard HID kit will give you no problems getting the dust caps back on. You will be drilling a hole through it in order to feed the wires through to the ballast. The only reason I suggested the morimoto kit is because I had nothing but troubles with my Kensun kit from Amazon. Since I installed the Mori kit, it has been 100% reliable with no issues.

I did do the FXR swap and for the most part, it was 'bolt on.' I am currently having issues on just one side and I cannot figure out what it is. This side was a problem since day one and if you see my build thread, you will see why. The FXR on this side seems to stick out more than the other side so it is causing fitament issues with the dust cap. I picked up a couple of spares but I am going to still have to do some sort of shaping/fitting to make it work. My next attempt is going to be a heat gun and reshape them.

They do provide a different style of bulb (D2S) which is a lot smaller than their previous bulbs. The bulb is straight, not L shaped. Even with the new style of bulbs, I am still having troubles with my dust caps. The factory dust caps fit EXTREMELY tight even with the holes drilled. I think if you drilled the hole perfectly center to the bulb, it is still going to stick out. I have asked fastheadlights if they have actually used the new bulb since the change and have yet to hear back from them. I think the only way to do it 'correctly' would to buy the extended dust caps (http://www.shapeways.com/product/VM2A8WEEU/one-extended-silverado-headlight-cap) and save yourself the headache. I just have to figure out a way to justify a $100 a cap which I think is outrageous.

Edited by SouthPawCO

Southpaw, what do the original caps go for? A thought. Buy the stock ones and take a band saw and cut of just the end of your stock ones. On the ones you bought cut the length you need and then mate the 2 together

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk