HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Ok, so both are recommended for each kit then, correct? Headlights as well as fog lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you could go with. Both I don't know much about opt7 my canbus system from ddm is a 35 watt system and it has everything built into the ballets and I didn't need the relay harness on my 15 Sierra it doesn't hert to have it

Yes you could go with. Both I don't know much about opt7 my canbus system from ddm is a 35 watt system and it has everything built into the ballets and I didn't need the relay harness on my 15 Sierra it doesn't hert to have it

I have tried putco led headlights and opt 7, no problems with installation, but the get dimmer over time (as many led's seem to do), additionally, visibility in rain was awful. I am now on morimoto XB's (4500k), a vast improvement.

• Like 1

So back in August I installed FX-R's and Mori HIDs. Instead of baking the lens off I cut the housing open per FastHeadlight's instructions. When finished I used 4" wide roofing repair tape (the aluminum backed mastic tape) to wrap around the housing and then even used a torch to heat the tape to the point that the mastic was almost starting to melt and really pushed it down all around to get a good seal. I then drilled holes in the dust caps and installed the TRS supplied grommets. The issue I've noticed recently is that whenever it has been raining or early mornings that the windows are fogged (so high humidity conditions), the inside of the headlight lenses are fogged. It goes away a few days after the rain has ended. I feel good about the seal around the housing, but could that much moisture really be coming in around the grommet in the dust cap? Has anyone else noticed this after a HID retro? There's no water droplets, just a fine fog that the heat of the light burns off in the center. I would think having any moisture in there would be detrimental to the life of the bulbs. Something to worry about?

So despite having an led's powered by a seperate relay harness kit I broke down and installed the Morimoto Elite hid kit today, 35w ballast and 5500k bulbs, have to admit they are what everyone in the forum claims...needless to say I am suitably impressed!

Further to that I like the five year warranty too.

Edited by Comscan
  • Like 2

If you want brighter light go with a 50Watt ballast instead of the 35Watt. The bulb rating affects the color of the light more than the brightness. The Retrofit Source sells Morimoto kits online. I just installed one and it works great. Get on their website chat line and they can point you in the right direction. Ask the guy on the chat line for a discount code and you get 10% off.

Edited by vacuman

Get some.of these and put them in the headlights. Even a little humidity inside the lights can create fogging. A drop of water turns into a lot of fog when it evaporates. These packs will absorb any humidity in the lights.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/silica-gel-moisture-packs-48728.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Got them on order. Thanks!

I installed a Morimoto 35watt 5500K HID kit from The Retrofit Source a couple of days ago. I just got back from a 200 mile freeway trip from Vegas to Ca. 3 lane interstate through the boondocks.

These lights are freaking amazing! Excellent clear white light across 3 lanes and 15ft to each side and at least 150ft ahead all without annoying other drivers. The whole trip on low beam. No need for HB at all. I did this same trip a month ago with the stock flashlights and was convinced I had to do something.

Best money I ever spent on a vehicle.

Edited by vacuman

Well, add me to the list. I just installed the Morimoto HID 5500k kit in my Sierra. I also installed the Morimoto LED fog light replacement kit. [emoji15] WOW.

The fit and finish was definitely as professional as others have described. The color and beam pattern is fantastic.

14fc96350bc995812d9589c347def4ef.jpg HIGH BEAMS AND FOGS.

a9a32ffc2905d6690a7ba9ac43f9d472.jpg LOW BEAMS ONLY

eeec98b8d625a25b5fef82de13c4ef3e.jpg FOG LIGHTS ONLY

1f0e1d75699c60e247376a50f219bca0.jpg LOW BEAMS AND FOGS FACING OUT FROM MY GARAGE.

My only question is on the last photo, notice the two "high spots" of light. Any input on why that is occurring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The light pattern looks similar to the one I just installed. I don't think it's an installation problem. The bulbs can only be plugged into the harness one way and inserted and twisted into the headlight one way. I think it may be a reflection off some of the chrome trim around the grill. Beats the hell out of the stock ones though.

• Like 1