HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

The issue with a dedicated high beam only HID lamp is the warm up time. That's why you don't see them used this way in OEM installations.

Edited by spurshot

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I have tried to read through the majority of the posts but frankly, I've been reading for about a week and a half and I still haven't found my answers. I think I'm still back in 2015. I have finally met my wits end with the lighting on this truck (I have a 2015 Silverado 2500 LTZ). Here is what I'm considering, I'm trying to make sure I will be matching and having all the right components.

I'd like to do a Morimoto HID Elite system for the low beams and Rigid SAE D series fogs, I am undecided on the high beams. I may do a full FXR retrofit down the road if I don't like the Elite system by itself.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone know what color the Rigid SAE fogs are? I've seen a few videos and they look to me in the videos to be around 5000 - 5500 K, but lets be honest these are youtube videos. I want to make sure I match everything and I can't decide what Kelvin to go with on the low beams. 4500K or 5000K?

2. Should I do HID's or LEDs for the high beams? If I do HIDs the matching will be fine. But same question with the matching if I do LEDs. For instance, If I do Morimoto 2 strokes, will the color of these match my low beams if I do 4500k on the lows?

Intermission: As you guys can see I'm just trying to get everything to match. Please help.

3. If I do 2 strokes on the high beams will they be any brighter than the lows? or the lows with fogs? Just trying to decide if I will ever use them. This is why I am stuck on whether or not I should do HID for the high beams? I know it will scatter everywhere, but will it throw further? I always yield my high beams to oncoming traffic so it shouldn't matter right?

4. Will this all be pretty reliable? We take long trips towing with my truck, I need reliability. Should I keep extra bulbs with me in my truck?

5. For this truck do I get the HD relay and the Anti-Flicker Capacitor? Or the HD relay and the Canbus? Or all 3? Or Canbus only? I know this has been answered but I want confirmation.

6. Should I wait for the morimoto m-led projectors to come out and do a full LED system? From what I've seen so far they still may not be as good as the HIDs, but maybe less complicated.

Thanks for all your help.

• Like 1

I wanted to see if anyone else has the monthly diagnosis emails from onstar show error message for headlights after you installed HID headlights..? Anyone else have this happen to them? Is it normal?

2015 1500 LT Silverado Midnight Edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I have tried to read through the majority of the posts but frankly, I've been reading for about a week and a half and I still haven't found my answers. I think I'm still back in 2015. I have finally met my wits end with the lighting on this truck (I have a 2015 Silverado 2500 LTZ). Here is what I'm considering, I'm trying to make sure I will be matching and having all the right components.

I'd like to do a Morimoto HID Elite system for the low beams and Rigid SAE D series fogs, I am undecided on the high beams. I may do a full FXR retrofit down the road if I don't like the Elite system by itself.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone know what color the Rigid SAE fogs are? I've seen a few videos and they look to me in the videos to be around 5000 - 5500 K, but lets be honest these are youtube videos. I want to make sure I match everything and I can't decide what Kelvin to go with on the low beams. 4500K or 5000K?

2. Should I do HID's or LEDs for the high beams? If I do HIDs the matching will be fine. But same question with the matching if I do LEDs. For instance, If I do Morimoto 2 strokes, will the color of these match my low beams if I do 4500k on the lows?

Intermission: As you guys can see I'm just trying to get everything to match. Please help.

3. If I do 2 strokes on the high beams will they be any brighter than the lows? or the lows with fogs? Just trying to decide if I will ever use them. This is why I am stuck on whether or not I should do HID for the high beams? I know it will scatter everywhere, but will it throw further? I always yield my high beams to oncoming traffic so it shouldn't matter right?

4. Will this all be pretty reliable? We take long trips towing with my truck, I need reliability. Should I keep extra bulbs with me in my truck?

5. For this truck do I get the HD relay and the Anti-Flicker Capacitor? Or the HD relay and the Canbus? Or all 3? Or Canbus only? I know this has been answered but I want confirmation.

6. Should I wait for the morimoto m-led projectors to come out and do a full LED system? From what I've seen so far they still may not be as good as the HIDs, but maybe less complicated.

I'll try and give you some help as best I can since I was in the same boat with the Rigid/Morimoto matching.

1. I don't know exactly what temp the Rigid SAEs are, but I can tell you they're a little more blue than my 5000K 35w Morimoto HIDs (I'm also using the Mini D2S 4.0 retrofit but that shouldn't affect color, just dispersion). From what I understand, the 55w ballasts burn hotter, so they wash out colors by ~1000K, so if you were really obsessive about having the fogs match the lows, that might be your best bet. Keep in mind, if you have the LEDs in the headlights (like my 2014 Sierra), a bluer bulb may not sync up with those which would probably look worse than not exactly matching with your fogs. I tried to get some pictures with my camera, but the humidity is ~100% right now so it'll have to wait.

2. I haven't heard great things about LEDs being able to get the distance that HIDs get. I may be totally off base here, but I thought I read that somewhere. Since the Sierra only has one headlight (thank god), I didn't have to worry about matching those, but I would go with whatever you use in the lows, since they're in the same housing. It's easier to cheat when the lights are in different housings IMO.

3. Again, I can't comment on the Morimoto LEDs, but the D2S 4.0 high beam is like turning the sun on, especially when there are trees hanging over/next to the road. Really fun stuff haha.

4 & 5. I can't speak to reliability since I've only had mine a few months, but I know buying from the retrofit source was a blessing. I called them first to lay out exactly what I wanted to do (they don't have a package for the D2S projector retrofit, which requires different bulb connections etc.) and made sure I was ordering the right stuff. It all came in, and one of the ballasts was bad, and the anti-flicker was bad. I let them know what was going on and they immediately sent me new parts. So, if you're really concerned, it's probably a good idea to have an extra bulb and an extra ballast in the glove box so you can fix it on the spot should the need arise.

6. Again, can't speak to the LED stuff, but it's really not as complicated as it seems at first, especially if you aren't replacing the projectors.

Hope this helps. I'll try to get some pictures of the lighting difference tomorrow.

We are 188 pages deep at this point so I feel maybe it is best to just ask now.

I just installed Lumen G8 LED conversions to both my low beams and fogs. Fogs work excellently, no problems at all. The low beams work great...after about 2 minutes. Initially they will power on and work, but then they shut down, flicker a time or two over the next 2 minutes, and then power up and work fine.

I have read something about PWM or pulse width modulation to the DRL (daytime running lights) and the LEDS not getting a constant signal. These lights were supposed to be plug and play, no issues, yada yada. However, that is not the case. I'm sure there's a simple plug & play solution for a capacitor or anti-flicker device, but I would seek clarification on this if I may. I'd be interested to know which direction to head at this point.

I would appreciate anyones help at this point, particularly if you've ran into this issue and how did you resolve it. Thankyou

EDIT: 14 silverado z71

Edited by ksenter

I wanted to see if anyone else has the monthly diagnosis emails from onstar show error message for headlights after you installed HID headlights..? Anyone else have this happen to them? Is it normal?

I had the same headlight error in my OnStar reports. Went away after about 4 months or so.

Hi guys,

A few questions:

Quick answers for you :)

Use led in highs if you really want to have a matching color. Hid needs time to warm up and the constant on and off nature of high beams is bad for a hid setup. Led will not perform like hid but will give color matching you are looking for. If you do an fxr conversion down the road you will get high beam functionality from that and it will make your decision on what to do with you current high beams easier as you won't be relying on them.

Hid reliability is pretty good. Led on the other hand in my experience......we do many more warranty exchanges with led based products than hid.

I know I have left a few things off as far as your questions but only time for a quick reply. Lol. Hope that helps.

Phil

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys.

From what I understand, if i just go ahead and do the FXR retrofit from the get go, I wouldn't have to worry about matching the low and high beams because the shutter would function in the FXR? I didn't know if it would still function in this way in the silverado. Is this difficult to wire this function in? Does this bypass the stock high beams or do they still come on?

I've noticed my passenger side light bulb not working a few times now over the pst 2 weeks. I don't drive at night a lot, however it's annoying or course given the newness of my lights. I used the auto start twice now to turn my truck on and only the driver side light will work. I've tried turning them off, then back on. I've tried turning the truck off, then back on. No luck.

Perhaps a day or two later they will work fine when I turn them on.

Is this thought to be a common issue? I have maybe 15hrs of driving with the lights on total (likely less). Can TRS weigh in? Thank you!

Did you sort this out by any chance? My passenger side started doing this a couple weeks ago and now doesn't come on at all. At least it hasn't come on in a day or two. The ballast still sounds as if it's on with a buzzing noise so I'm thinking maybe the ignighter went out or the bulb.

We are 188 pages deep at this point so I feel maybe it is best to just ask now.

I just installed Lumen G8 LED conversions to both my low beams and fogs. Fogs work excellently, no problems at all. The low beams work great...after about 2 minutes. Initially they will power on and work, but then they shut down, flicker a time or two over the next 2 minutes, and then power up and work fine.

I have read something about PWM or pulse width modulation to the DRL (daytime running lights) and the LEDS not getting a constant signal. These lights were supposed to be plug and play, no issues, yada yada. However, that is not the case. I'm sure there's a simple plug & play solution for a capacitor or anti-flicker device, but I would seek clarification on this if I may. I'd be interested to know which direction to head at this point.

I would appreciate anyones help at this point, particularly if you've ran into this issue and how did you resolve it. Thankyou

EDIT: 14 silverado z71

RESOLUTION: Anti-Flicker Harness from XenonDepot fixed the issue. Plug and Play, no worries, no problems.

RESOLUTION: Anti-Flicker Harness from XenonDepot fixed the issue. Plug and Play, no worries, no problems.

Edited by ksenter

They actually have the Morimoto system on my Sierra I went with the 50w kit with the 4500 bulbs and they do not match the rigid. But I actually have a set of 5000k bulbs on the way and we'll keep the 4500 in the truck as spares I will post pictures once I get them installed

I've noticed my passenger side light bulb not working a few times now over the pst 2 weeks. I don't drive at night a lot, however it's annoying or course given the newness of my lights. I used the auto start twice now to turn my truck on and only the driver side light will work. I've tried turning them off, then back on. I've tried turning the truck off, then back on. No luck.

Perhaps a day or two later they will work fine when I turn them on.

Is this thought to be a common issue? I have maybe 15hrs of driving with the lights on total (likely less). Can TRS weigh in? Thank you!

I have replaced to ballasts in the last 6 months with trs ... one was doa the other had the same symptoms.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Did my fogs last week.

Morimoto 4500k HID 5202 Kit, I ordered a capacitor link and found out later I didn't need it. I was told by TRS that it didn't work while I was wiring up because of reverse polarity from the source. No biggie, I can always go back and put it in.

I also got Morimoto 5500k Silverado Kit today and will install tomorrow.

post-171767-0-70912700-1499456874_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did my fogs last week.

Morimoto 4500k HID 5202 Kit, I ordered a capacitor link and found out later I didn't need it. I was told by TRS that it didn't work while I was wiring up because of reverse polarity from the source. No biggie, I can always go back and put it in.

I also got Morimoto 5500k Silverado Kit today and will install tomorrow.

looking good!