HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

And what do you see in PIC 4 after install is complete?

That was off in Pic 1 during install because you have to remove it to take the airbox out to get access to the low beam.Grounds were attached for testing and then the brace was re-attached with the grounds under it.

yea, glad to see it was reattached.

For the record, none of this activity in this thread is compliant with DOT regs nor is it legal in most, if not all, states. The regs state that you may not modify a DOT compliant headlight, turn indicator, etc., in CA. It does not matter if you put a projector from a DOT compliant Lexus headlight assembly into your GMC headlight assembly. It does not result in a DOT compliant headlight. Just so's ya aren't surprised if you get stopped.

All the same, with a proper (if not DOT approved) projector, using a 4000-5000K bulb, that is properly adjusted, you stand less chance of having a cop stop you and giving your truck a full DOT compliance check and giving you a body cavity search. Those that just have to have purple headlights are just asking for it.

I personally know 5 cops here with hid retrofits. As long as you keep them clean and white in color you will probably not get bothered.

That was just a reminder for the noobs so they go into this knowing it's not a legal mod.

For all practical purposes an individual could not go through what it takes to get DOT approval for a light mod.

Edited by spurshot

Bass thx for the pics and the write up, I may give it a shot soon. I came from a 55W 5K FXR3.0 on my F150 to replacing the stock halogens in my Sierra with a Morimoto 35W 4300K kit and its not the same as the retro, although better than stock

I have another 55W FXR3.0 kit at home as I was planning to do my next F150 but then bought a Sierra instead, so all I would need is a canbus and 9006 relay. Did you use a 2.5" or 3" projector? I think I have a 2.5" and if so might be a hard to line up to the factory projector mounts which already needed some work

I like how you mounted everything under that plastic shroud. I also like where the relays are. ..but I was just a little too concerned about having all that stuff too close to the radiator .. crazy amount of heat coming from that area. so I put the relays a little lower... but they aren't vertical.

The heat is everywhere in the engine bay. The radiator is the least of your worries on that since where I mounted my parts is on top of the air shroud in front of the fan and radiator so any heat is primarily being pulled away from that spot. I totally understand though your reasoning. If it ain't broke don't fix it right?

Bass thx for the pics and the write up, I may give it a shot soon. I came from a 55W 5K FXR3.0 on my F150 to replacing the stock halogens in my Sierra with a Morimoto 35W 4300K kit and its not the same as the retro, although better than stock

I have another 55W FXR3.0 kit at home as I was planning to do my next F150 but then bought a Sierra instead, so all I would need is a canbus and 9006 relay. Did you use a 2.5" or 3" projector? I think I have a 2.5" and if so might be a hard to line up to the factory projector mounts which already needed some work

Mine are 3.0 and they are the same size as the OE projector

Hey guys. Been using this forum for awhile now and finally decided to join. Great forum and great thread! Just curious, now that these trucks have been out awhile and lot of people are doing this mod, who all out there has done HID fogs? If so, have you experienced any issues and what kits did you use? (I understand the risk of the previous mentioned heating problems but just curious if there is a product out there that more than one person has had success with.)

Hey guys. Been using this forum for awhile now and finally decided to join. Great forum and great thread! Just curious, now that these trucks have been out awhile and lot of people are doing this mod, who all out there has done HID fogs? If so, have you experienced any issues and what kits did you use? (I understand the risk of the previous mentioned heating problems but just curious if there is a product out there that more than one person has had success with.)

HID Guy sells a 25w kit for the fogs that he guarantees not to melt the fogs.

FYI, I have the morimoto kit and one of the lights went out last night during truck start. I went on my trip and was pleasantly surprised that even just one light is adequate to see OK.

While I was waiting, I had the truck on and just turned the lights off. When I turned them back on, both came on, so it must have just been a little start glitch.