HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

My topic keeps getting deleted in regards to lighting. This thread is full of old information on when this truck was just released and only a few things were available. Also, it's full of Chinese products for 20 bucks, rig jobs, and aesthetics.

Let me ask again….

As of right now, what is your opinion on the best setup for the truck lighting for the 2014 sierra?

Also, has Rigid came out with a kit for the fog lights yet w/ adapter? I don't want to run any Amazon or eBay 20 dollar special that runs really hot like I originally read last year. This thread is full of pages of information that I would assume is quite outdated as new products are being released.

Thanks mods for deleting my separate post when my question was never answered in the thread over a month ago. I understand whole "oh.. repost!" thought, but sometimes I think it's good to have a refresh of current information that's quickly accessible and not having to dig through 500 posts of old information.

Edited by ktreece

Let me ask again….

As of right now, what is your opinion on the best setup for the truck lighting for the 2014 sierra?

My choice for my lighting system was not limited by cost, but rather consideration of reliability/quality, lighting ADEQUATE for my needs, and a minimally intrusive modification to the truck systems. I don't know enough about projector retrofit to know if I wanted to go that route. I still have questions about the shutter adjuster penetration on the housing being waterproof. I may go with a projector retrofit once I learn more. For now, I have a Morimoto kit in the OEM projectors. In combination with the HID headlights I chose Baja Designs LED lights in particular beam types for my needs. I wired the extra LED lights to all dim with the dimming of the high beams so as to minimize the time required to dim them all and reduce the time a suddenly appearing oncoming car would be exposed to the lights.

Thanks for all information everyone,

I too am a 2014 Sierra owner and also very very disappointed in the performance of the headlights. I have always for the most part been a GM guy through and through even for my wife's and my work vehicles. It is a sad day when you have to feel like you should test drive a vehicle at night to check the headlight performance. I had my truck with 3000 miles on in at the dealerships service center for recalls, exhaust whistle, theft deterant service code and POOR Headlight performance just the other day. They just about had to throw me out when they said to me "Really this is the first i heard of anyone complaining about headlights"

Spurshot i like your final decision the Morimoto kit seems like the way to go. I live in Wisconsin with dark, cold, rainy, fall & winters with many animals and country roads and these headlights just will not cut it. I took the truck only a week old to the Black Hills of South Dakota for a family vacation and it was almost deadly with the hills, curves and animals. My 2003 silverado had way better head lights.

Again thanks for the information i will try to post as well when i discover things so others may learn too.

Also i just can't let GM get away with this poor engineering and want to do everything to make them fix it. I am posting a complaint with NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)

Sad part is my old man was going to buy probably his 3rd and last GMC truck, after he saw mine... that was until he turned on the headlights....

Going to be picking up my 2014 Sierra SLE in a few days and was wondering, does anyone have a picture or can tell me what the Sierra SLE (No LED lights) looks like with DRLs on. If I do a retro fit I would like to install "Demon Eyes" but think I may have to wire them to a separate switch as the factory DRLs may mess with the look.

Also, has anyone done the "Demon Eye" mod and has pictures?

You can look into a passive demon eye (non led based) I like this method better because, if done with the right color can give an OEM feel, needs no wiring, and gives a better "ah" factor then led based demon eyes.

Going to be picking up my 2014 Sierra SLE in a few days and was wondering, does anyone have a picture or can tell me what the Sierra SLE (No LED lights) looks like with DRLs on. If I do a retro fit I would like to install "Demon Eyes" but think I may have to wire them to a separate switch as the factory DRLs may mess with the look.

Also, has anyone done the "Demon Eye" mod and has pictures?

Do you mean halos? If so, Echavez has done some on his sierra. But it's an SLT

You can look into a passive demon eye (non led based) I like this method better because, if done with the right color can give an OEM feel, needs no wiring, and gives a better "ah" factor then led based demon eyes.

Thanks Jeezy, I will look into this.

Can someone tell me whats going on here with these HID's? Not sure which brand or anything but the shop is pretty legit and to my knowledge they use pretty good stuff. I noticed this the minute I pulled into the garage just a few hours ago. The shop is going to take a look at it after I get home from my business trip, but I figured i'd consult the board also.

photo_zpsd00ad278.jpg

Can someone tell me whats going on here with these HID's? Not sure which brand or anything but the shop is pretty legit and to my knowledge they use pretty good stuff. I noticed this the minute I pulled into the garage just a few hours ago. The shop is going to take a look at it after I get home from my business trip, but I figured i'd consult the board also.

photo_zpsd00ad278.jpg

If you look above the light on the right you'll notice the "eyes" on the wall. That indicates that the bulb is not set in the proper placement. All you need to do is open up the housing and remove the bulb, turn 90 degrees and then reinsert. And all should be good. Those process may need to be repeated once or twice more at most.

If you look above the light on the right you'll notice the "eyes" on the wall. That indicates that the bulb is not set in the proper placement. All you need to do is open up the housing and remove the bulb, turn 90 degrees and then reinsert. And all should be good. Those process may need to be repeated once or twice more at most.

I asked the shop this and his reply " it only goes in one way". I'll take a look at it when I get back from my trip. Thanks for the insight

I had an interesting failure of my TRS Morimoto kit. Yesterday, the driver side wouldn't light up. I unplugged the bulb and plugged it back in and still nothing more than a flicker.

I automatically thought it was the ballast, since there had been some past failures posted on the net.

I contacted TRS and they wanted me to do some troubleshooting to ID the component. The guy on the phone said they sent me a list. I didn't read it, but I started devising my own list.

First on my list was something easy. Swap the connectors at the relays. I went to unplug the relays and one cover came off the guts.

DSC_7842Large_zpsab74f621.jpg

I swapped them anyway.

DSC_7843Large_zpsf3391c2c.jpg

Sure enough, the problem moved with the relay.

DSC_7844Large_zps54f9ca3c.jpg

I just happened to have a few real Hella relays around that I intended for the LED driving lights. I took off the TRS relays and the Hella relays were an exact fit on the TRS harness plugs. Plug n Play. :driving:

DSC_7846Large_zps64afce18.jpg

On close examination, the TRS relay fried the contacts.

20140821_181807_zpskbqmi5gw.jpg