HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

As nice as the hids are to have, I have been having issues with my 35W morimoto kit from TRS. As of late, in the morning when I turn on the lights the driver side often does not fire up first try. I must put the truck in park, and turn the lights on and off and until they both come on. Seems like a ballast issue so I have a claim with TRS and they are more than willing to replace the ballast.

However, I've had a new issue that started a few nights ago where my lights will be on and I'm driving and they randomly go out altogether. Sometimes they come back on by themselves after a few minutes, if not I have to pull over and put the truck in park and turn them on and off until they fire up. Not safe and very annoying. Any idea what could be causing this? All my connections seem ok. I emailed TRS asking to just replace the whole kit since its obviously more than just ballasts, but no answer yet.

This isn't my first morimoto kit, and the ones I've had in the past have never done this and been good quality. I did the FXR 3.0 retrofit on my last truck (F150) and bought another FXR 3.0 kit thinking I might need to do another F150 but ended up getting the Sierra. Unfortunately I got the 2.5" projector, anyone do the retrofit without the 3" projector? I may take on the Sierra retrofit in the spring but in the meantime want to get this plug and play kit figured out. Appreciate any suggestions thx guys

Check the inline fuse. The fuse in my DDM kit was starting to oxidize and I was having the same issue. Sometimes they would work and other times, not so much. I immediately thought it may have been a faulty ballast but then how could both bulbs be having issues. Then I checked the harness and relay and both looked great. Then I checked the fuse thinking it couldn't be the fuse since they were still turning on but once I changed the fuse I didn't have the issue again. It has been 2 weeks since I changed the fuse and the night I changed the fuse was the last time I had any issue.

Not sure if it will be the same in your case but it seems to be the same effects that I was getting. So maybe its the same cause.

Hope this helps

thanks, will check it out tomorrow.

Just moved the truck and looks to me like the driver side bulb is on its way out. Starting to get that purple hue to it. Just gets better ! :dunno: ah well, replacement bulbs or even new kit aren't much, its more of the hassle/headache that bugs me

Does anyone have advice on where to mount ballasts? I think I found a dry spot on the drivers side; just on the side panel of the engine compartment but might just velcro it the the top of my fuse box instead. As for passengers side, I had the ballast and relay mounted just above the air box on the side panel but it turns out moisture came in somewhere and now I have a new ballast on order. Ive since moved my relays to the side of the air box (after market afe intake filter shroud) which seems to be a very dry spot. I was thinking of mounting the new ballast just above the rad on the drivers side..any opinions if this area will keep dry?? Also, I've went ahead and put silicone around the side of the ballast where the backing plate meets the housing and in the screw holes to prevent moisture from getting in.

Does anyone have advice on where to mount ballasts? I think I found a dry spot on the drivers side; just on the side panel of the engine compartment but might just velcro it the the top of my fuse box instead. As for passengers side, I had the ballast and relay mounted just above the air box on the side panel but it turns out moisture came in somewhere and now I have a new ballast on order. Ive since moved my relays to the side of the air box (after market afe intake filter shroud) which seems to be a very dry spot. I was thinking of mounting the new ballast just above the rad on the drivers side..any opinions if this area will keep dry?? Also, I've went ahead and put silicone around the side of the ballast where the backing plate meets the housing and in the screw holes to prevent moisture from getting in.

I mounted mine to the sides of the headlights. Between the headlight and the grille. I haven't noticed any water issues and they are hidden out of the way.

It's the coil in the relay. When the field collapses, it creates a spike pulse. The TRS relays have a resistor built in, as does the Bosch and Hella relays.

Edited by spurshot

They have recently been superseded by the XB line. A 50 watt ballast will shorten the bulb life and is more likely to damage the reflector. But if you need more light, and don't have supplemental lights, it may be the way to go.

They have recently been superseded by the XB line. A 50 watt ballast will shorten the bulb life and is more likely to damage the reflector. But if you need more light, and don't have supplemental lights, it may be the way to go.

Thanks. So have you heard of anyone having problems with the 50-55W kits melting any part of the reflector or housing? Definitely not trying to damage any part of the headlight. I don't want to have to pay to replace those housings! I have 5000k 35w now, but would like something that matches the LEDs and I heard either 4300k 35w or 5000k 55w.

Thanks

You might call TRS and ask what your options are. They have a new XB bulb out that's supposed to be better. The best performance is going to be a Retrofit of the projectors with a better projector and putting in osram cbi bulbs.