HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

The RX350 is well respected for its beam pattern on the HID Planet forum. It has a very wide beam as you can see part of on the left. That pic doesn't do the projector justice (or any others for evaluating the width and outer beam performance. There's a poll over on HID Planet on this projector.

SJ,

None of the holes line up. My retrofit will not drill holes thru the housing or at angles. It'll be simple adapter plate and a reducing ring for the lens snout.

No I definitely agree the 350 is a very solid projector. I've run the FX-R and the EVOX-R in my F150 and I am more of a fan of the EVOX-R myself. Everyone loves the FX-R, and it is good - but there are other alternatives that definitely dont get enough credit.

No I definitely agree the 350 is a very solid projector. I've run the FX-R and the EVOX-R in my F150 and I am more of a fan of the EVOX-R myself. Everyone loves the FX-R, and it is good - but there are other alternatives that definitely dont get enough credit.

Frankly, I would be happy with the FX-R performance, but 2 things moved me toward the RX350 BiX, non-AFS:

First the mounting I saw was not what I wanted to do. I found the specs on the RX projector and took a chance and bought them. Bass Mechanic had his removed OEM projectors around and he was kind enough to loan me one. I've come up with a simple layout for an adapter plate to mount the RX. It will also require a reducing/centering ring for the lens snout.

Second, the RX350 BiX had a lot of good comments on the HID Planet forum regarding its wide beam. Since my peeve about the factory projector is its narrow beam, I'm over-compensating. :D If I thought I could have shoehorned in the Acura TL projector, I would have gone with those. But, there's an old comparison of the RX vs the TL and it doesn't look to be worth it for me to change horses at this point. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?39272-Bi-Xenon-RX350-and-TL-Comparison&highlight=RX-350

The FX-R has a perfectly straight cutoff going for it that the RX really doesn't have. The RX is actually designed to have a drop of the cutoff on the oncoming traffic side and a little rise in the cutoff on the ditch side which can be seen on the shape of the cutoff shield/shutter.

DSC_2579Large_zps16a3c73d.jpg

Edited by spurshot

The hump in the center is also to eliminate the light directly in front of you to preserve night vision. Some will even advance that limiter up further to really eliminate the foreground but I've never seen the point.

Like I said, when you get those brackets cut, I would definitely pay a premium for a set :)

True, but the factory bleed light up so if you go 50 watt like I did you have to chenge the projector. I was just going to throw them in but talked with TRS and since I would blind people and need a new kit again to change later, the talked me into doing it right the first time. I'm very happy I did. The only time my lights hit others is over crests. I know now the factory would have required me to lower the lights so far it would have been almost pointless. I will be aiming then ourwards just a little next time I have the lights off. They are straightforward but I could get more coverage and reduce the center hotspot some.

The RX350 is well respected for its beam pattern on the HID Planet forum. It has a very wide beam as you can see part of on the left. That pic doesn't do the projector justice (or any others for evaluating the width and outer beam performance. There's a poll over on HID Planet on this projector.

SJ,

None of the holes line up. My retrofit will not drill holes thru the housing or at angles. It'll be simple adapter plate and a reducing ring for the lens snout.

Will the adapter plate be Sierra or silverado specific?

I plan to run the silverado kit so Xb35 bulbs. Now today I feel lazy and think just the kit and call it a day. Nothing ordered yet so I'll probably change my mind. I'm ocd and overkill by nature.

Edited by sugarjohnson
  • Like 1

SJ,

I am making the plates for the Sierra. I don't know if the Silverado projector has the same pattern or not. Maybe. Someone has already removed their projectors from a Silverado. Some straight on pics would help.

I bought The sierra spec hid kit, and have been running them for about a month now. Well, I want to upgrade to do a full projector setup from Morimoto. Will my sierra spec his system now be useless?

No. You can use the Morimoto ballast and harness. The bulbs will have to change to whatever the projector bulb size is. Often, that's the D2S bulb size. You'll also need the ballast to bulb harness. That part is pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

SJ,

I am making the plates for the Sierra. I don't know if the Silverado projector has the same pattern or not. Maybe. Someone has already removed their projectors from a Silverado. Some straight on pics would help.

That what i thought. Ill go back and look for the silverado retrofit post. Great topic not so great sorting back through 70 pages!

Thanks for the info....

Edited by sugarjohnson