Sign in to follow this  
BruceW

2007 NBS Sierra Denali Codes P2715 and P0700, occasionally revs high

My truck has 123K miles on it. The transmission is a 6 speed 6L80. About a month ago I was towing a 23' 8'6" beam, 5000 pound ski boat about 300 miles. The transmission temp maxed out around 193. About 100 miles before our destination the check engine light came on. It was late and we were going through small towns so I did not have a chance to check the code. I was in tow haul mode and never noticed any issue. The next day the CEL was gone.

Yesterday I was driving around unloaded and had the truck fail to shift and rev up to 3K+ rpm. At that time I noticed that the CEL was back. I was half a mile from home. I do not believe that it shifted on the way home, it seemed to be locked in gear.

Once home I stopped and restarted the engine. After restarting the CEL remained but the transmission seemed to function normally. Later I drove 15 miles into town to have the code read. The codes were P2715 and P0700. I did not ask to have the codes cleared.

I have had an issue with the 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd shift where it seems to be a delayed shift with some revving between for years. This seems to happen when I am not accelerating hard or loaded.

Today I drove about a 25 mile loop to talk to a transmission guy I know and take the kids for a snack. On the way I shifted manually up and down through the gears. It shifted smoothly. On a short divided highway section I floored it to accelerate. It downshifted twice. The first was smooth and good. It seemed to have some free revving with the second, although I may just be overly critical about this.

The transmission fluid was changed approximately 10K to 15K miles ago.

I am hoping that others can share their experience with and solutions for similar issues with this transmission. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BruceW

Off the top of my head, the p0700 is a TCM code, meaning there is something wrong with the TCM. Sounds like something you may need to go to the dealer for.

Sent from a jelly bean.

700 is sent from the trans control module(TCM) to the ECM that there is a code in the TCM ,,,,,you have to now scan the TCM for the real code

the other code is engine ,

the first thing to do is clear all codes in both modules and drive the truck to verify a hard fault and then re scan and then have the code printed out and follow the diag tree

or

take it in

Edited by govtech4
  • Like 1

P0700 is a request from the transmission to turn on the CEL.

P2715 is Pressure Control Solenoid "D" (4) Stuck On.

I talked with a mechanic today. He said that it sounded like something had broken loose after the fluid change and must have gotten into solenoid 4 or the associated valve.

I went out for a drive today and found that the CEL had cleared itself. He said they will do that after X successful trips without the problem reoccurring.

I decided to test it a little to see how the transmission was performing. I started off with a leisurely drive for about 10 miles of twisty and hilly road. It performed fine so I found an abandoned stretch of road and did about 20, 0 to 80 runs. I got the transmission temp up to 205 which is higher than I have ever seen trailering. It did not miss a shift. I often used manual shifting and tow haul mode.

What do you guys thing? Should I pursue this further?

Tough call. I'd suspect whatever gunk got wedged in the valve is now clear, so all is well again. I'd probably just drive it and forget about it.

If it's a faulty #4 solenoid, then it would show up again the same way, then you could go further into it. At least it's 4th gear not 2nd. :)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By shaneman20
      Well, seeing as how I can't find much on this subject no matter what forum I go to, why not try to start the discussion here and see what kind of following I can get and see where we end up.

If you're reading this thread, chances are you have thought about modifying or swapping out your current transmission in your 2014+ GM truck. In my case, I don't mind my 6L80 in my truck. It does fine for what I do right now and it's holding up just fine, but I think the big issue is when you start to search for big power (like I'm starting to do), that 6L80 is not going to hold very much (or so we think). Now, let's all face it. We've seen posts after posts, comments after comments, photos, videos, etc. of guys with built motors with turbos or prochargers shooting down the quarter mile in search for the best time on these 6L80s. Some say they're completely stock, others have them built, and we all ask ourselves the same question: Reliability. How well are these transmissions going to hold up to the abuse on the track? Especially if you want to make it a fast street/strip truck and drive it back home to the garage afterwords.

We know for a fact that 6L90s can hold quite a bit of power. Even though I've mostly seen it in Camaro ZL1 applications, there is a guy on YouTube (GuitarmaggedonZL1) who is running a stock 6L90 on stock converter making 1000HP (give or take on an unloaded dyno) and the transmission hasn't puked all over the ground just yet. (Exaggeration, I know.) So, needless to say, a 6L90 swap sounds nice, at first... After you figure the extra length and weight (and in my case, relocation of the transfer case and getting custom driveshafts made), it starts to look a bit unpromising, but still not out of the ball park yet since it will be able to handle the power some are seeking, but where these newer transmissions lack significantly if you want to do boosted applications at the track (or even just launch control on N/A), no one has developed a transbrake. Very, very few forums are talking about this, and only one video exists of a guy in his BMW testing out a transbrake on a 6L80/6L90, and who knows how reliable it is.

So, now, you start to think: Well, gee. What can I do now? How about a TH400 or 4L80e swap?

So far, I've seen few posts on that as well. No one is talking about it, and I think the biggest problem people seem to be facing is the new PCM: E92. Also possibly the fact that the TCM on the newer transmissions is inside the transmission and whatnot, but whether that plays a part in this, I don't know yet. Now, adapting a TH400 or 4L80e can be done (most likely with a different bellhousing since the bolt holes are in a slightly different spot), but you run into the issue of getting it to speak/cooperate/communicate with the new E92, which I don't think anyone has tried. The only video I've seen of anything working in this application was on a 1320Videos video with a Nova where they were using an LT4 long block (built motor to 388 C.I.) and twin turbos, and it had a powerglide in it. Don't know if it was a manual valve body or computer-controlled, but what I do know is that they used the factory computer to run the DI injection system and piggybacked the rest to an MS3 Pro. After dealing with some issues, they were able to make that thing boogy to a 9 second pass at 148mph. So, these engines have potential to haul ass, but we just haven't figured out how to crack the system.

So, at this point, I'll just leave what I've discussed here and see where the thread goes from here, and I'm hoping people chime in and vendors are watching/listening. Even though the demand isn't hot for it right now, there's going to be a surge for good transmissions when people can buy these trucks/cars/motors/transmissions for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately, I feel like we'll have to wait that long in order to see results, but oh well.

Just to give you guys an example: In the next year or two (2019 or 2020), I'd like to go turbo with my truck. (Doing all the supporting mods before going there minus built bottom end until I see where I can get with stock bottom end before sending a rod through the block or oil pan) Ideally, it'd be best to have a transbrake in that application with 2-step, but can't do it on the new transmissions. So, 4L80 seems to be the option, but I can't do that either because no one supports adapters or harnesses to make them work with the new motors/ECUs. That's the boat I'm in. I like to research everything before I go whole hog into something. Risk assessment, I guess.
    • By brandonkf4oar
      Ok Guys so I have a 2003 GMC seirra SLT I took it to the shop to get my right front hub replaced and have them drop my rear main oil pan and put a new gasket on it. After I got it back the speedometer did not work and the transmission fails to shift. So Yes I can take it back but my schedule is very busy and I am working all day today and Cannot get it back until monday. Just wanting to know if this sounds like a simple connection under the truck I can jump under it and reconnect. So basically im asking what connections would be disconnected that they would of had to pull in order to drop the oil pan.
      Thanks! Brandon
    • By Kareem Karame
      Ok, so this is my first time posting here, and I'm really hoping to get some useful feedback as y'all are truck people like myself. I've owned my truck for the past year and a half, and only began noticing this issue after I serviced and changed all my oils (Transmission, and both diffs.) We're talking about a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3l V8, SLT trim (if the trim matters).

Here's what happens. On 2HI it runs great, no sound, smooth as silk, and transmission temp hovers at around 91 Celsius (195 Fahrenheit), and when I use to shift it to 4HI or 4LO, it rises up to MAX. 105 Celsius (around 220 Fahrenheit), and still smooth on the turning. Once I changed all my oils, suddenly there is a LOUD whining sound coming from beneath once I turn (not even sharp turns), its really sluggish, and the transmission does not take long to reach temperatures of 120-125 celcius (245-260 fahrenheit). 

I've already rechecked all the oils, and everything is clean and at a good level, there are no leaks, and I've used oils as per the owners manual. Any idea what I'm looking at, or what I should be checking? I do not want to blow useless money on monkeys clanking around in my truck for no reason. 
    • By da7ome
      hi I have a 2009 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 L engine with 4l60e transmission with 4x4 and I want to make 550  horsepower how can I achieve that thnx