• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zedbear

zedbear

Enthusiast

• 297 posts
  • Drives:2013 Sierra

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Been having an issue with my A/C. Bought the truck new this past winter. Has auto climate controls. It was a cold spring but we got one good 80+ degree day in April and was finally able to try out the A/C for a bit. Worked great. I stopped for gas and then restarted and drove off. Noticed the A/C was blowing warm. Played with the controls a bit but nothing. Stopped and popped hood and found the compressor wasn't running. Drove it 15 miles home and the whole way it still wouldn't work. Parked it and 2 hours later drove it again and it was suddenly working again.... :dunno:

The rest of the spring and into early summer was pretty cool and the a/c was barely used. When it finally started warming up, I started using it more and noticed a few things. First, often when I let off the gas and am coasting, it will start blowing warm humid air for 5-10 seconds. If I'm coasting to a stop and sit there at a light for a bit, it will often not recover sufficiently until I start driving again. For example, the other day I made a left turn and then had to stop suddenly behind a stopped car making a left. Warm humid air started coming out. It didn't really start cooling well again until I punched it after the car finally turned and got a sudden blast of ice cold air......

I also have noticed it takes forever to really start blowing cold when I first start it after sitting. It will blow coolish but not cold. I have confirmed the cooling fans are working. Temp probe in center vent shows 40 degrees when its cooling right, sometimes a little less. When it starts blowing warm, it rises to 50+ before it recovers. Something is not right. Never had a vehicle that behaved like this before. I took it to the dealer and they gave me the usual "operating as designed" BS. When I asked, they didn't even hook a gauge set up to it. Its driving me crazy, especially in traffic when it keeps blowing clammy air almost every time I let off the gas. I've noticed at idle that if I raise the rpm to 1000+, it will blow pretty cold. I understand cooling performance will degrade a bit at idle but this seems messed up. 

#2 Carder

Carder

Turbo Powaaaaa!

• 2,125 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Drives:2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

Take to a different dealer, still no help, contact a GM rep.

Main ride: 2013 Vee-Dub GTI

Other ride: 1994 atoyoT MR2 Jap Spec G-Limited

#3 scooby5121

scooby5121

Enthusiast

• 424 posts
  • Name:Eric
  • Drives:08 GM 6L CrewCab Dually 4by4

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

Your problem is not normal....

I would think the blend door is opening under a vacum leak.meaning the heater core is throwing warm air into your vents. Just enough to piss you off....

I just changed the switches in a ford that had the same problem your describing.

Compressor not running could mean low on gas, bad wiring connectiion, or faulty clutch on compressor.

Anyways bring it to another Dealership . Good Luck Scooby

#4 CapitalTruck

CapitalTruck

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,177 posts
  • Drives:'13 Silverado Ext. Cab. 4wd 4.8L

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

These blend doors don't run on vacuum any more! Oh how I don't miss my 85's climate controls.

CapitalTruck's Current Ride:

2013 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 LS 4.8L Purchased New 5/2013

#5 3Horses

3Horses

Enthusiast

• 66 posts
  • Name:Horse Guy
  • Drives:2011 Chevrolet 1500W/T 4.3L V6, r/c, l/b, 4x2. 3.23(g80)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

It could be alot of things causing this, from restrictive air flow threw the condenser, low Freon, restriction in the system, Cooling fans not coming on soon enough or pulling enough air threw.   In my 2011 my A/C is ICE cold, too cold IMO and I have to turn the temp up a bit or shut if off and on cause after a few minutes I'm shivering, even at idle. 

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500W/T, Regular cab, 8' bed, 4.3L V6, 4L60E auto, 4x2, 3.23 w/G80 locker, Taupe gray metallic. (Daily Driver)

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab, Short Bed, Duramax/Allison. 4x4, 3.73 w/G80 Locker, Victory Red (Tow Rig)

2011 Cadillac CTS-V, Supercharged 6.2L V8, Auto,  Black Diamond edition (For Fun)

#6 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,206 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

You have a "normally weak" A/C.

#7 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,489 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

You have a "normally weak" A/C.

Hardly. Something is wrong. My AC is ice cold within moments of turning on.

To the OP- are you using auto mode? If so it sometimes backs off on cooling as the setpoint is reached.

#8 zedbear

zedbear

Enthusiast

• 297 posts
  • Drives:2013 Sierra

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Its very cold if I've been driving it for awhile. The most annoying thing is when it seems to cut out for a moment when coasting. It has to be related to the time when it wouldn't work at all for a couple hours. I wish it would just quit working again so they could find the problem.

I was in Texas last week and it was hot. It seemed to perform pretty well except for that coasting thing sometimes. I'm just going to let it go for now and see what develops.

I use auto mode but sometimes manual. Doesn't seem to make a difference. 

#9 primered92

primered92

Enthusiast

• 31 posts
  • Drives:2010 GMC/ 92 Chevy

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Mine has been acting up as well in my 2010. I took it back before my bumper to bumper was out and they replaced the high side fitting. They told me it was leaking and recharged it. Well now, a couple of weeks later, it's doing the same thing. It won't cool off at idle, I have to drive it around, and still it doesn't blow cold unless I've been driving for 20+minutes. When I get out on the highway and step on it, it goes back to blowing cool air instead of cold air. Well now my truck is 2,100 miles out of warranty, and the dealership won't bite the bullet on the fact that they didn't fix it the first time! I'm gonna have to deal with someone a little higher up when I take it back next week.

#10 Bad Bowtie2

Bad Bowtie2

Enthusiast

• 583 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Drives:2012 GMC Sierra C1500

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Yes, keep persuing this. It all falls back on this last "warranty" repair.

You DO have a leg to stand on per say..... :driving: 

#11 primered92

primered92

Enthusiast

• 31 posts
  • Drives:2010 GMC/ 92 Chevy

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

I get my truck back today, they told me it was the high pressure switch, again. The service rep told me that the one they put on must have gotten damaged during shipping. How does something like this get damaged during shipping? If its that fragile, what's it doing on a truck?

#12 Won_Hunglo

Won_Hunglo

Principle Contributor

• 2,496 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Common condition with the auto controls in very hot climates. That is why GM calls it normal. Once the system sees your setting temp, it will back off before you want it to. The manual controls will get the cabin temps down to 40F, much cooler than the 60F lowest setting on auto controls.

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users