2014+ Gas Mileage (MPG) Topic

Wow! My 4.3 really does suck!  I have been cussing it since I bought it.  I average 15-16 mpg. I drive 50/50 city/highway and around 400 miles per week. It’s a 2wd double cab, I do carry probably 500lbs in the back; tools and such inside a built in storage system that I added about 6 months or so ago but that hasn’t changed anything. I have had the truck for over 2 years.  The Charleston SC area is basically flat as you can get. 

My 4.3 is still getting better and better since my post above from several years ago.  This weekend I just beat my 25 mile record, achieving 33.8mpg on the expressway.  I cruised at around 55mph in light traffic, partly in a construction zone.  There are several methods to stretch the fuel, all requiring effort by the driver.  My wife just drives it with no attempt to hyper-mile, gets 15-16mpg around town.  My average over the last 26000mi is 22.2mpg which I'm also very pleased with.  I can get the 25mi average up around 30mpg on back country hwys almost every time by cruising 55mph on the flats.  I go a little faster down the hills, a little slower up them, using the cruise-control to + - one mph at a time.

Wow I see some " interesting " mpgs being listed, I have a 2017 cc 5.3 3.42 rears 4x4  with a 1.5 leveling kit, 275 60 20s "33" tires which are Cooper discover ht plus, weight of 43 lbs , my first tank on Factory tires, driving 50/50 city highway driving dic showed 17.1 hand calculation 15.3, all tanks after changing to Cooper 275 60 20 and leveled 1.5 one tank of 40/60 city / highway, dic showed 17.2 hand 15.4 and last tank on 25/75 city / highway shows 18.3 hand calculation of 16.75, and the real time dic showing between 19.6 and 21.4 while driving on highway are 70-75 mph . One thing is for sure that the dic is way off leading you to believe these mpg numbers. My previous truck was a 2011 6.2 cc with 3.73 gears and mpgs were pretty close to this 5.3 , I bought a 5.3 because of the increased hp in the new ecotec and supposed better fuel mileage . I will be going back to a 6.2 again once I find a good deal. I'll take added hp for nearly the same fuel mileage. 

Edited by Crobinson16
Information

Not that it will be a huge difference but remember that your new tires are 33" which is larger in diameter than factory by 1.5", if I'm not mistaken. So not only is your dic off but so is the amount of miles that you are using in your hand Calc, if you are using the odometer. You are actually traveling farther than the odometer is reading given the increased circumference of the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 SLT 5.3 with 98500 miles stock 20s. I was on the interstate going 71 for an hour and my best was 23.1mpg on the dash. Avg is about 17-18 hand calculated.

Getting Bilstein level, 33: tires and alignment soon. Be interested if it changes on either direction. I think my current alignment is off a bit which could be causing the mpg numbers.

Already got the trans fluid, dif and the induction cleaning - hasn't done anything to mileage btw. 

• 2 months later...

50k miles now! On stock height and stock tires, I averaged 17.2 in hills and freeway driving. Post 2” level and 275 65 r20 ko2s, I’m averaging 14.5-15.5 in same driving conditions. Yarr

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

47,000 mile life time hand calculated average = 26.7 mpg. 

53,000 miles now. Still 26mpg ish life time. 28 average summer 24 average winter. Highs over 31 mpg on state roads. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Aaron1085 said:

What the heck... I can’t break 16.5. And that’s DIC ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I can figure is these guys with the great mileage are treating the gas pedal like an egg and they are easing that thing, making it a competition to see how great a mileage they can get.   I  ain’t got time for all that  I just want to get in and drive it and I don’t mean I race to each place.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all the hills around where I live, AFM doesn't kick in very often.  But get her down at sea level on a flat stretch of highway and I would see 21-24 MPG @ 65 MPH with the 5.3L.  Not to mention better throttle response.  Living up at 6000ft sucks power out of the thing. 

• Like 1