2014+ Gas Mileage (MPG) Topic

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, Colossus said:

With all the hills around where I live, AFM doesn't kick in very often.  But get her down at sea level on a flat stretch of highway and I would see 21-24 MPG @ 65 MPH with the 5.3L.  Not to mention better throttle response.  Living up at 6000ft sucks power out of the thing. 

Absolutely.  Driving around Denver, I only see the V4 icon when going down hill.  I drive like I have somewhere to be, not to try and squeeze every mpg out of a vehicle.  I drive both my trucks pretty much the same way.  The 15 does get a bit better mpg than my 2000, but that one has a 6.0 swap and 3.73s.  The 15 has the 5.3 with 3.42s.  I get about 15 mpg from he 2000 and about 18 mpg from the 15.  Same commute.  I split time between them and drive both each week.

• 3 weeks later...

Driving impressions after first day...

I get better gas mileage on side roads doing between 40-50 mph than highway, I mean a lot better. On the highway I'm averaging between 16-20 doing 65 mph.

The truck only had 7 miles on it when I go it yesterday...over a hundred now. I drive a lot, I'll be experimenting quite a bit with different driving techniques, but I'm hoping to average 22 in this thing, right now I'm averaging 19 in some mixed cold driving with a lot of idling talking to the onstar rep at the dealer when I picked it up. Lol.

I drive 500-600 miles a week, so far love the truck.

I have a 2014 silverado v8 5.3 leveled on 35's  with a tune on it, true dual straight pipes with cats, and I get around 17-18 highway cruising about 70 mph, and around 12-15 city depending on how much i put my foot on it and feel like speeding or hearing my exhaust.

• Like 1

Finishing up on my first week of ownership and I'm averaging 23.7 mpg. 

Picked the truck up last Sunday with 7 miles on it, now it has almost 600 (and I still have three days to go). I drive a lot 500-700 miles a week...mostly highway or country back roads. I'm not really sitting much in traffic unless there's a some buildup on the highway on the way home, but that's usually only a few miles of it.

I have no idea what gearing I have in the rear end, didn't really give it much thought, the truck came with 17 inch aluminum rims and non aggressive tires.

I baby my vehicles to try to get maximum fuel mileage out of them, so far I'm pretty happy with the truck. I haven't even started my daily commute with the thing yet - I've been on vacation this week - all that driving was from a trip to the white mountains and around town stuff dropping the kids off here and there. My commute generally is pretty easy on your gas mileage because I've kind of learned the roads, etc. There's some good downhill cruising, highway and flat back road stretches where you can kind of just cruise. My goal would be to average 24 mpg...hoping I can get that with just a little bit of effort. The V8 to V4 switching is really boosting the economy. I do worry about the reliability of that system long term, especially after hearing that the valves stay closed during cylinder shutdown. I worry about valve train problems with something like that. Imagine oil changes will be very important on a truck like this (and luckily the warranty will cover me for whatever miles it is...80k??). I'll probably install a catch can, maybe do some cleanings. I'm not afraid to pull the manifold off and walnut blast periodically either. But love this thing so far.

Concerning your trucks differential ratio;  if you still have your window sticker it’s listed on it.  If you don’t have it go by the dealer service dept and they can pull up your vin number and tell you.  Or, go see your salesman and he can print a new window sticker for you.  I would suggest asking  your salesman to print a new window sticker.  That way, you’ll be able to easily see whenever you want the  features and options that are on your truck.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got 18.3 mpg (Hand calculated) with 19.2 mpg showing on the display. It was at 311 miles with 300 being freeway. The roadway did not have any major hill climbs.  I was doing mostly 80 mph as I did not encounter any traffic. I was NOT trying to conserve fuel and I was trying to obtain real world numbers of someone “trying to make time” but not driving wrecklessly. My “last 25” displayed 17.9 mpg and the last “50” displayed 18.5 mpg and last “400” displayed 18.4 mpg. 

2018 Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 6 speed 3.08 Z71 & All Star Packages.

Edited by cr250Silverado
Add vehicle info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just did my first oil change 2 weeks ago, I think the truck has just a hair under 7k miles now.  I'm sitting right about 18.4 average with about 50/50 driving.  On the highway I'm usually cruising around 78 as much as possible.  I have a new exhaust on there so driving around town is typically a bit more....spirited lol.  This is on a 2018 Custom Crew Cab 5.3 2WD, not sure on gearing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, Colossus said:

what type of exhaust did you go with? 

I went with a Carven R muffler on a side exit with dual tips.  The result is rather loud and aggressive, but that's the result I was going for...

eGeBoMh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No pics yet, but bought my 2018 double cab with the 6.2 on Wednesday.  Trip from dealer to home was 2 hours with mixed 55-70MPH highway and a few short jaunts on 35-45MPH side roads.  Averaged 26.6 MPG on the DIC.  On highway I set cruise at 74MPH.  That 6.2 just lopes along at about 1700RPM and the change between V4 and V8 is completely unnoticeable (I'm kind of impressed with the V4-V8 thing because I also had that on my 2014 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi, but when it would go into V4 mode, it always had a shudder to it and I hated it).

I agree, the throttle delay thing sucks and is very noticeable.  When I first started driving it, I felt like an old lady with long delays to get going as I'm pushing on the pedal waiting for acceleration that didn't come for a bit.   I've also noticed at the right speed and amount of acceleration there is a bit of shuddering from the rear and the steering wheel has some vibration.  It's not horrible, but noticeable.  I have the Z71 package and 22" wheels, so I expect less than glass smooth ride and the rear end rides about how I thought it would, but the front, even with the Rancho shocks seems to bounce up and down more than I thought it would.  It's not irritating or anything, I was just kind of surprised by it.

If you drive half way decent any modern truck will get 20+ mpg unless it has a mechanical problem. Most people are on the gas and then right back on the brake and then expect good MPG LOL it will never happen unless you pay attention to your driving and change your bad driving habits. Looks like around 21 mpg on this 18 after 1000 miles which is just what i would expect. 

On 6/23/2018 at 7:32 PM, Dnt said:

If you drive half way decent any modern truck will get 20+ mpg unless it has a mechanical problem. Most people are on the gas and then right back on the brake and then expect good MPG LOL it will never happen unless you pay attention to your driving and change your bad driving habits. Looks like around 21 mpg on this 18 after 1000 miles which is just what i would expect. 

All I can say is based off the mileage most people on this thread are getting, they are having a lot more fun with the gas pedal than me.

Today was the first day I didn't get around my average (26mpg). But today I had to beat the ever living crap out of the thing. Long trip from NH to Rhode Island...had the AC on the whole way, damn GPS took my through Boston, then Dorchester, then Matapan. Pure hell. Foot was in it the whole time jockeying for position. And when it wasn't I was stuck in miles and miles of traffic. Averaged 18.9 over the 130 mile trip. That was maybe the worst commute I've had in my entire life (worse than any trip through NY).

One thing I know for certain, the worst part of this truck is the GPS. I'll  never use that thing again. Ever. Thing took me right off the highway for a little two hour detour through the heart of Boston and beyond...only to put me back on the very same highway it took me off of.