Remote Start

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AC light has nothing to do with the temperature. It simply means that the system/compressor is engaged. These trucks use the AC system to help with defrosting/dehumidifying the truck via the condenser.

The light doesn't mean its engaged, it just means the circuit is enabled.

(when the truck gets cool enough for the compressor to stop, it disengages the compressor clutch, but the light will still be on)

Hey nhldrw19,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern when using remote start. If you would like me to follow up with your dealership or check my resources for possible options, reach out to us via PM. Please provide your full name and contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jonathan A. (Assisting Jennifer)

GM Customer Care

• 2 weeks later...

i've started my truck (2014 GMC Sierra All-Terrain) in -30C with the remote start and let go through the 15-minute cycle twice, and still go into my truck with the seats absolutely cold as balls. My dad's gives the same trouble, he has a 2014 as well.

i've started my truck (2014 GMC Sierra All-Terrain) in -30C with the remote start and let go through the 15-minute cycle twice, and still go into my truck with the seats absolutely cold as balls. My dad's gives the same trouble, he has a 2014 as well.

Ok here we go again. (This should be made a sticky by now. lol) The seats in these new trucks are NOT like what you expect from previous years or other manufacturers. Thank GM for that. They do come on but, at a very very low setting. Think of it as a preheat. Once you get in and turn the key hit the heated seat button and they should get warm within a minute. However at that -30 temp it may take a little longer.

• 5 months later...

Wish I would of found this forum earlier!!

I just purchased a 2014 4X4 crew cab silverado with remote start. I had RS on my 2004,07,11 silverado. Was great whether cold or hot (as it does get here in Arizona I could start the truck and when it was hot out the electric fans kicked on A/C turned on max in recirculate mode and let truck cool down and then go, in fact if I had parked the truck and didn't have the a/c on but went out later it would start a/c as soon as turned on key it shut off and then I would turn it back on.

Now the 2014 don't like what I am seeing on the previous posts I was hoping it was a programming error and the dealer could re-flash the computer to take care of it. Yesterday it was nice here in the valley when I got up early so I went to the park to do my walking and never turned on the a/c just rolled down the window, well it got to 108 here yesterday so I remote started the truck let it sit for 5mins and when I went to get in nothing was on no a/c (what a pain in the backside!!!) now reading the previous posts it looks like you have to pre-set everything instead of the trucks climate control determining whether to turn on heater or a/c. What a giant step backwards for GM!! I have friends that have installed after market remote starts with their alarms and that is something they had to do pre-set everything that was a nice feature of factory remote start climate control worked.

I spend time up north in AZ where it does get cold in the winter, the remote start used to turn on the heater (and I have heated rear window and mirrors) would let the truck warm up with remote start and when ready to go defrost had been on windows and mirrors all cleared of ice and snow. Now I am wondering if this winter if I am up north if it is going to do anything or if I have to pre-set the window/mirror defrosters switch on etc. (or even if that can be done??) Not real important that my heated seats don't pre-heat in remote start but really want the windows cleared before I drive off.

One other rant this a/c which I normally keep in manual not auto and I use outside air (we don't have much humidity here) continually switches from outside air to inside recir, but it does not show it on the LCD screen on the re-circ button I have to push the recirc button on then back off for it to go back to outside air (does it worse when the temps are not that hot out but have the a/c on) of course now all 4 windows have that auto down (wish I could disconnect that!!) so if you go to crack a window open it goes all the way down!!

If this is the way things are now with the new silverados Chevy took a big step backwards!!

Is there any hope GM will correct this goof?

Yes GM did take a big step backwards with the remote start on these new trucks. It blows my mind that someone made a decision to make the remote start/climate control feature worse than it was before and it was approved. The old remote start system was perfect I never had to remember to set anything. I just started the truck and the climate control system took care of the rest. Now I have to check the weather for the next morning and make sure my system is appropriately set for the remote start.

Yes GM did take a big step backwards with the remote start on these new trucks. It blows my mind that someone made a decision to make the remote start/climate control feature worse than it was before and it was approved. The old remote start system was perfect I never had to remember to set anything. I just started the truck and the climate control system took care of the rest. Now I have to check the weather for the next morning and make sure my system is appropriately set for the remote start.

Well, you're half right. You're correct in that the system is a big step backwards. But you don't have have to check the weather to set it up for the next morning. You want it 70 degrees in the cabin? Set it to 70 degrees in Auto and turn the truck off. When you remote start it in the morning, if it's 40 degrees in the cabin, the heat will come on. If it's 80 degrees in the cabin, the air conditioning will come on.

Well, you're half right. You're correct in that the system is a big step backwards. But you don't have have to check the weather to set it up for the next morning. You want it 70 degrees in the cabin? Set it to 70 degrees in Auto and turn the truck off. When you remote start it in the morning, if it's 40 degrees in the cabin, the heat will come on. If it's 80 degrees in the cabin, the air conditioning will come on.

What about air flow? How does it know to defrost the windshield versus blowing out of the front vents for example? Or does it blow air out of all vents until you put the key in and turn the truck to on?

What about air flow? How does it know to defrost the windshield versus blowing out of the front vents for example? Or does it blow air out of all vents until you put the key in and turn the truck to on?

Lots of questions here. Not being scarcastic, but you should really check your Owners Manual. It does spell out the answers to your questions. The use of recirculate in Auto is part of "Auto" when the system determines it will use recirculate or outside air. This is on page 8-5 in the Silverado manual and goes on for several pages. As surebuttercringe says, just set it in Auto. But don't forget to turn heated and cooled seats on in settings.

From the Silverado Owners Manual on Remote Start...

The climate control system will use the previous settings during a

remote start. The rear defog may come on during remote start based on cold ambient conditions. The rear fog indicator light does not come on during remote start.

If the vehicle has heated seats, the heated seats will turn on during colder outside temperatures and will

shut off when the key is turned to ON/RUN. See Heated and Cooled Front Seats on page 3-8.

Lots of questions here. Not being scarcastic, but you should really check your Owners Manual. It does spell out the answers to your questions. The use of recirculate in Auto is part of "Auto" when the system determines it will use recirculate or outside air. This is on page 8-5 in the Silverado manual and goes on for several pages. As surebuttercringe says, just set it in Auto. But don't forget to turn heated and cooled seats on in settings.

remote start. The rear defog may come on during remote start based on cold ambient conditions. The rear fog indicator light does not come on during remote start.

If the vehicle has heated seats, the heated seats will turn on during colder outside temperatures and will

shut off when the key is turned to ON/RUN. See Heated and Cooled Front Seats on page 3-8.

Thank you. Yeah I'll check the manual for more info.

Thanks so much for the information, this truck has like 4 manuals and I am still working my way through the information. That is good news the rear window defogger/ice comes on if it is cold enough out which probably means the rear view mirrors will heat up also. Still do not like the fact I have to pre-set the climate control really seems like a goof on GM part. I do not use the "auto" much on my climate control settings and almost always have my controls set on outside air. The darn truck even with outside air set continuously switches to re-circulate and it does not indicate it either with the light on at the recirculate button or on the LCD screen still shows outside air. I can drive for 15mins and it stays that way, until I push the re-circulate button on and then off quick then it will switch back to outside air but then 5-10-15 mins later it does it again, weird thing is it does it more when the temps are not that bad out. May take it in for first PM and have the dealer check it.

Aznative, yes thats the way it works. I leave mine in auto and it takes a while getting used to it. And sometimes it doesn't make sense compared to when I used to manually control it. But I just set the temp and forget it now.

As far as the manuals goes, I have a pdf copy of the Owners Manual and Infotainment Guide which is where most of the settings and operational info is that most questions are answered. These new trucks are so different than past models, I needed to read them - it is not like my 2001 or 2011 Silverado nor my 2 Cadillacs. For some reason GM saw fit to change the operation of so many things even though they call them the same names. IMO...

Archived