LED 921 Reverse & Cargo Bulbs

Using them in GMT-900 and every other car. Just get the 5 watt T15 that has 1 led in it. Forget the side emitter bulb.

Like I said previously, you can't go that route in the new 2014. The new diffuser lens design scatters any light projected straight back (out the top of the LED assembly).

In the pic below, the only lights on are the 921 LED reverse bulbs (my Galaxy S4 doesn't take the best night pics... they're brighter in person, but still not "wow")

Edit: also need to mention the wall is painted yellow, not white, so that also takes away from quality. I'll take better pics when I have the chance.

_

post-34923-0-38875200-1376195181_thumb.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those still not picking up what I'm putting down, look at the attached pic below. You can see what I mean about the 2014's having a diffuser built into the clear housing while the GMT-900's just had normal clear plastic. This is why 921 bulbs that worked great on the old trucks are crap on the new ones.

post-34923-0-31243500-1376265435_thumb.jpg

^ thanks MotoMedic, I think what you started has helped the '14 owners now and to be..... PLUS the 900 owners Like me that will now have a good reverse light. It will ne nice to see anything while backing at night on my 09.

PS: I noticed the new taillight housings look identical in size/shape to the GMT-900's and was thinking it'd be great if existing aftermarkets would work in the 2014's. Well, tonight I tried fitting my buddies 2011 housings in my 2014, and.... they don't fit! New 2014's are a tiny bit taller and the rear fender mounting pins are in slightly different places. GM you win again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok.. got my 921 LED's installed, so I'll recap my findings.

DDM - In the 2014 reverse housings, they produce less light than the factory bulbs. This isn't to say they're not decent bulbs... it's just the new trucks use a diffuser in reverse glass that hampers all LED's performance.

Bosen (sold on eBay as "Samsung 2323") - When used as reverse bulbs, the output is slightly more than stock but b/c of the diffuser they cast zebra-stripes on ground and objects behind. When I put them in the center cargo light's clear housing, they worked great. Put out a lot of light, especially behind the truck. So I don't recommend them for 2014 back-up bulbs, but they're good bulbs for 2014 cargo lights.

V-LEDS - These use virtually the same type/quality of LED as the Bosen but b/c these have 15 versus Bosen's 10, the V-LEDS perform much better as reverse bulbs. Light output is significantly more than stock and, while the zebra-effect is still present, it's not as noticeable. Of the three sets I've tried, I can only recommend the V-LEDS for 2014 back-up replacements.

Moto -

You put in a lot of effort here and on the other thread about the headlamps! Thanks for sharing all of your learnings with us. I was just looking at the V-Leds that you found to be the best out of what you tried. I noticed they come in a 5k or a 6k. Which did you go with? Can you give me your thoughts on how much brighter the are compared to stock? I am on the fence of doing this or just going with external lights I would mount. Any feedback is appreciated.

Moto -

You put in a lot of effort here and on the other thread about the headlamps! Thanks for sharing all of your learnings with us. I was just looking at the V-Leds that you found to be the best out of what you tried. I noticed they come in a 5k or a 6k. Which did you go with? Can you give me your thoughts on how much brighter the are compared to stock? I am on the fence of doing this or just going with external lights I would mount. Any feedback is appreciated.

5K is closer to white. 6K will have some blue in it. Because of the stock housing, even with the V-LEDs, you're not going to notice a significant increase in total output.... but the LED light looks ALOT better than the yellow stock bulbs!!

5K is closer to white. 6K will have some blue in it. Because of the stock housing, even with the V-LEDs, you're not going to notice a significant increase in total output.... but the LED light looks ALOT better than the yellow stock bulbs!!

But... you would say they are at least equally as bright?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived