Aftermarket Brake Controller

I have the 2014 Sierra All Terrain SLT with towing package but NOT the max towing package. I want to add an aftermarket brake controller but cant find any of the wiring under the dash. I have watched videos and read instructions for late model GMC's up to 2013 but the wiring under the dash looks nothing like the videos. I also dont see any 12v wiring under the hood for a trailer brake either.

Has anyone hooked one up yet to their 2014?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have the same problem, no factory installed brake controller but i did notice the fuse box under the hood does have the fuse installed for the trailer brakes according to the owners manual. Maybe when i hook up the trailer it will work like a trailer brake but without the gain controll, guesse i'll hook it up and find out.

I have installed one. They currently don't have the right harness out but gm has released a bulletin that you take a a harness from a 2004ish Silverado and alter it to fit then plug it in under the dash. I will post the directions tomorrow.

Here's the directions. It looks like any old (199-2006) brake control harness will work with a little re-wiring and some cutting. Hope this helps!

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post this. Looks like its not too difficult. I really appreciate your help.

So the Mexicans are not putting a harness in the glove box? hahahaha

The two trucks I have were a dream to put the Brake controller in. You know what I actually have one of these old harnesses in my tool box. Sounds like it may come in handy if I make the change. Hopefully they will have this issue fixed by the time the 6.2 models come out!

So the Mexicans are not putting a harness in the glove box? hahahaha

The two trucks I have were a dream to put the Brake controller in. You know what I actually have one of these old harnesses in my tool box. Sounds like it may come in handy if I make the change. Hopefully they will have this issue fixed by the time the 6.2 models come out!

Or you could just do yourself a favor and avoid the hassle all together and buy a truck with the built in brake controller.

Or you could just do yourself a favor and avoid the hassle all together and buy a truck with the built in brake controller.

Good Anwser! ahahaha

Some days I even amaze myself with my stupidity! ahahaha

That would be AWESOME.....If that were possible. Crew cabs don't come with the brake controller and I'm pretty sure not even as an option. At least not at the time I bought the truck.

When did you look? I sat in 3 last week at the deal that all had it. It has been an option for the last several years. Maybe your dealer just doesnt order them with that option.

I bought the truck about 2 mos ago when they first came out. None of the Crew Cab 4x4 SLT's that they had ordered had that option and I didnt feel like waiting a few months to get the truck. At the time I honestly didnt even think I would need it. But now that I will be buying a boat weighing close to 8500 pounds I wish I could have gotten one with it.

I wonder if its possible to have the dealership add it now?

You shouldn't get electric brakes with a boat. Water plus electric don't normally mix. You should look into a trailer with hydraulic brakes especially for a boat that heavy! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes im sure it will come with surge brakes but I would like to convert it to electric over hydraulic eventually.

Archived