Aftermarket Brake Controller

I bought a draw-tite fully digital plug n play controller from Amazon for $70 shipped. There was no splicing wires, the plug is hard wired into the controller. It can be mounted at any angle so finding a spot is easy. I mounted mine just under the dash above the gas pedal. There is a metal frame/bracket that goes across the bottom of the dash it mounts nicely to it and doesn't leave any visible holes. The controller itself works great, and is easy to use.

Below is the link to the one I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLEMC1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So... just out of curiosity (and since I need to add a trailer brake controller as well)... how much real difference in aftermarket brake controllers is there? They need to be able to apply the trailer brakes and have adjustable "gain" in order to match/tune the braking effort of the trailer to the vehicle. What else should/could/need they do?

Is there really a benefit in spending >$100; or will a <$50 unit be just as capable? I see the entire range on Amazon... $26 to $144.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the P3 or any brake controllers will fit inside the little pocket under the center of the dash? I saw a few pages back someone mounted the brake controller to the underside of this pocket, but I thought it would be nice if you could close the pocket and hide the controller when you're not using it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm wondering if there might be a aftermarket controller that would fit in the slot for the factory controller for those of us without the factory unit. It would be a cleaner look than hanging one under the dash. Just a thought.

Would be nice to have a aftermarket brake controller to mount into the stock location, I need to install one still for hauling my enclosed car trailer.

I just recently installed a P3 in the stock IBC location... actually, it is installed in the "coin pocket" above the 4WD switch (see picture).

post-127843-0-77143200-1448998330_thumb.jpg

It was a very easy install; and buying a spare bezel ($20) probably wasn't required, but I was concerned that it might not go as planned and I'd be stuck with a hole in my dash until I replaced it. Now, I have a spare bezel to reinstall if I ever sell the truck and want to keep the controller. I don't know how the Max Tow/IBC Bezel would work for this install... maybe it would be a similar mod/trim, or maybe even "better" looking in terms of final fit/finish.

I have a lot of pictures and a video of the mod for anyone interested... at some point I'll make a YouTube video of it all. It is solidly mounted, doesn't bounce, vibrate or move at all... and the manual control lever is easily accessible.

A few things to keep in mind with this location:

• I wasn't concerned about being able to transfer it from vehicle to vehicle, or removing it when not in use... There is one screw holding it in, but you would need to remove the bezel to access the screw.
  • I wanted it to be more at eye level and easily accessible for adjustment or manual control than what would be available by mounting under the steering wheel on the lower dash/kick panel.
  • It adds a little glare/reflection to the side glass at night even when the P3 display brightness is set to the lowest setting (more noticeable than the 4WD or Headlamp switch lighting reflections).
  • The GM plug & play harness provided by/available from Tekonsha is plenty long enough to route to the connection under the dash... The GM provided pigtail and the 4" pigtail from Tekonsha together would be more than long enough if you choose not to spend the extra $$ for a plug & play harness, but the Tekonsha harness has a nice anti-abrasion loom that is a worthy addition due to all of the edges that can be found under/in the dash.
  • There are two things keeping this from being installed any "deeper" into the dash... the manual control lever space would need to be pocketed/trimmed out of the face of the bezel which I think would look trashy; and there is a sheetmetal dash support immediately behind the coin pocket that would need to be modified extensively to allow the P3 to move further forward into the dash. As it is right now, the P3 harness just happens to pass thru a hole in this metal support at just the right spot for this to work.

In all, I'm very happy with how it all went and looks... if the reflection bothers me over the long term, I can always add a piece of tinted window film over the P3 display to tone it down some more, or even put some black tape over the display when it is not in use.

• 4 months later...

My dealer pulled document #PIT5228. The document states " A harness is not currently available but can be made from GM PN#15085418" "Provide this one time to customers at NO CHARGE" My dealer ordered the part and followed the procedure to build the correct harness. If someone needs a copy of this document I'll gladly send it to you. FREE HARNESS !!!!!

Hello. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra. It does not have the built in brake controller. Do I purchase something like this and get a harness from the dealer? What do I ask for, specifically, from the dealer? http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/AC_Delco/Trailer_Brake_Control/AC22821574.html?apwcid=gglpla&gclid=CjwKEAjw_oK4BRDym-SDq-aczicSJAC7UVRtWqgRaX-2lpmV0JqHlmQ2nJksSfu6l8XugA9jUjXPIRoCF17w_wcB

Do you have a Youtube/how-to on this? I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with just a coin tray type thing. Would like to put in a factory OEM controller if I can rather than mount an after-market one below the dash/panel. Thanks!

Do you have a Youtube/how-to on this? I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with just a coin tray type thing. Would like to put in a factory OEM controller if I can rather than mount an after-market one below the dash/panel. Thanks!

No you can't use an OEM brake controller, you must use an aftermarket unit. There are many threads on this subject, the search is very helpful.

Archived