Aftermarket Brake Controller

GM has used the same exact plug for years. They just like to change around the configuration. The plug U-Haul sells has a red wire lock so you can change the wiring around in the brown socket. I am interested to see if the plug stays the same again.

That won't work on 900-series trucks, they have no plug. Just wires. No idea on the K2 trucks.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to three dealers this week and nobody knew anything about how to install a aftermarket brake controller. Last dealer gave me a pigtail from 99 chev and showed me how to modify it just like cdn111 said in a earlier post. No one knew for sure if I could install a OEM brake controller in my truck. I will install tomorrow and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the directions. It looks like any old (199-2006) brake control harness will work with a little re-wiring and some cutting. Hope this helps!

I thank you for posting how to install controller brakes , I've question about the part you mod part# 15085418

you plug that back in with the wires or without instructions not clear Thnx again u saved my planned camping trip this weekend

FYI the plug doesn't fit after you make the mod per the PDF and the wire colors are wrong compared to new plug u have to buy @ dealer! I insulted the eletrical plugs with tape and plug them in where they should be without plug and not a problem Shame on GM!!!

You must not have done it right because I have installed a modified harness and it worked fine. At first it did not fit and I figured out that it was because I hadn't cut far enough up when I cut the chunk out. You have to cut pretty far in order for it to click in.

I followed CDN111's diagram and it worked just fine. The problem I ran into is I did not cut the small groove (the groove that's left after you modify the plug) all the way across. It will not plug in if this is not done. My dealer called and said GM now has an actual plug that will actually work...way to go GM!!! They still can not tell me if an OEM brake controller can be installed though...

Here's few items I've learned on this topic: 1. You can't have "Integrated Trailer Braking" feature unless you have the JL1 option in your truck.

2. a lot of dealers know LESS about the aftermarket trailer brake control installation then we all do here.

3. there seems to be an attitude amongst a few GM dealer employees that this just isn't a real problem and that they continue to refer to the 2013 or older GMC model line as the answer to this 2014 model year truck and this situation.

4. I purchased this truck for one major reason, to tow my travel trailer, and three times this summer I have had to dig out my 2005 Dodge Ram to go camping because I can't get the proper jumper harness that is GM approved for this truck.

5. While the jumper harness mentioned earlier in this thread may work if you whittle the connector properly, I consider this method as a bandaid for a broken leg.

6. When I was considering this truck as a tow vehicle, my sales person used the term "plug and play" numerous times with regards to using any brake controller on a 2014 GMC Sierra, it could not be farther from the truth. Had I have known what I know now, I'd of not bought this truck.

I must admit that ride, comfort, and fuel economy are top notch with this vehicle. But for my application, this truck is as useless as it is beautiful.

Any updates on a factory one? I bought the harness off of ebal hooked it up it was fine. The next time i went to use my trailer it didnt work. All the fuses are fine from what i can see. Maybe i'm missing something but what else could be wrong. Could the harness have went bad?

I would much rather have the factory look, but cant seem to get a straight answer

It seems the Tekonsha people are working on an appropriate harness for our trucks. Check out their web site and look under "new products". Part #3016. As long as one does not have to "whittle" the connector to fit, instalation will be a breeze. My local supplier says it will be out for sale in about a month.

Incidently, yesterday I took back a pre-2014 harness assembly I was wrongly told would work on my truck back to my local GM dealer where I purchased it. While the parts fellow took back the electrical componant without hassle....I began to tell him the woes of the aftermarket trailer braking situation on 2014 GMC's and he had no interest in learning of the situation at all. Pity the next person coming in with the same problem only to have to go thru everything was have already.

I got two part numbers from a dealer part (23104453) F-MODULE. And part (23136563 ) another MODULE ,don't know if these are already installed on trucks with the regular trailer package or not ,was told there were wires already behind where the brake controller would go but haven't looked ,don't know what to believe ,guess time will tell !!!

))

Here's few items I've learned on this topic: 1. You can't have "Integrated Trailer Braking" feature unless you have the JL1 option in your truck.

2. a lot of dealers know LESS about the aftermarket trailer brake control installation then we all do here.

3. there seems to be an attitude amongst a few GM dealer employees that this just isn't a real problem and that they continue to refer to the 2013 or older GMC model line as the answer to this 2014 model year truck and this situation.

4. I purchased this truck for one major reason, to tow my travel trailer, and three times this summer I have had to dig out my 2005 Dodge Ram to go camping because I can't get the proper jumper harness that is GM approved for this truck.

5. While the jumper harness mentioned earlier in this thread may work if you whittle the connector properly, I consider this method as a bandaid for a broken leg.

6. When I was considering this truck as a tow vehicle, my sales person used the term "plug and play" numerous times with regards to using any brake controller on a 2014 GMC Sierra, it could not be farther from the truth. Had I have known what I know now, I'd of not bought this truck.

I must admit that ride, comfort, and fuel economy are top notch with this vehicle. But for my application, this truck is as useless as it is beautiful.

Have them check out. PIT5228 Doc ID 3611273 you can now order the right harness. I feel that you should have let a knowledgeable GM dealer install the initial "whittle"d down harness until this one was available so your truck wouldn't be so useless. I have personally installed one and he's towed 5k miles with no problems at all. just my $.02

Gotcha on the remarks above. A dealer should install eather a GM harness or a Tenkosha one, and hopefully new vehicle warranty will still exsist should troubles arrive. Actually I was headed to do just as you say, let the dealer work with this situation, but an employee of my selling dealership said it "must be a broken wire in the dash, bring the truck in and we'll look for it". A situation like this requires some investigation first, not just dig into a new vehicle's harness.

As a footnote, there are a very few GM employees in my province who do indeed show interest in this situation just so they don't face trouble with other customers with the same problem. Our goal is to learn together. But when the communication ends with a blank stare after trying to impress upon the importance of this issue...I bolt.

And I feel my truck will do what it's purchased for one day-and that's simply tow a trailer.....just like the one on the TV commercials.

Archived