Aftermarket Brake Controller

It should be noted, and for it's worth of course, that there are two employee's who have gone above and beyond the call of duty on this issue.

One is a parts manager in Central Alberta who walked me thru over the phone a number of times while trying to get background if indeed my truck has JL1 or that I can install an aftermarket trailer brake controller at all. He has shared his findings to me just as soon he had any info and has done so on his days off and after hours if need be. I met this man thru another forum.

The other is the foreman at my selling dealership who was kind enough to get my truck into his shop on a Saturday AM so we may learn more. He also got a brand new unit beside mine at that time as to compare how was one that is equipped with JL1 and how and why mine isn't. I got a lot of insight that day, and for that I am thankful.

And now the "PIT 5228 Doc ID 3611273" as come onto the scene. That tells me things are happening. Yet another step closer to towing a 24 foot travel trailer!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanx for the info on the eBay harness. Yes, I saw this originally when the search began. The bad news is that the "truck" end of the harness must be modified to fit the port on the harness module under dash. This might work, and certainly as person could get by, but what if the modification from us back yard guys isn't right? Loss of trailer braking? And would my dealership even attempt the modification themselves and then warranty their workmanship?

I'll wait for the Tekonisha one.

I saw a bulletin about the wire harness online. It said that the dealer can make one from an old harness part number. I sent the service manager an email about it. I will let you know his response. I didn't buy the one on eBay, just saw it and wasn't too sure if that's the right one?

I saw a bulletin about the wire harness online. It said that the dealer can make one from an old harness part number. I sent the service manager an email about it. I will let you know his response. I didn't buy the one on eBay, just saw it and wasn't too sure if that's the right one?

I will be curious Jsb55 as to what your service manager has to say about them adapting an style old harness and make sure to ask if they will warranty the work? Also find out if you pay for installation of said harness or do they?

I wonder if this "old harness" you mention is 15085418? That's the one that used to come with every new GMC 1500 with the trailer towing package up to 2013. It came in the glove box of every new truck delivered.......free.

Finally got to my dealer and talked to one of the service guys. I mentioned bulletin #109b and he knew what I was talking about. He pulled up the info and ordered the parts needed to make the harness. It states in the bulletin the dealer is to provide this one time to the customer at no charge. Labor to install it on the truck is separate. Part numbers 15085418 and WPC724.

I ordered the harnis off eBay, hooked up a aftermarket controler. It worked one day and not the next. We checked all the fuses everything is fine. I have a friend that works at a dealer he looked it over couldn't find anything. He did a search on the computer. There is a recall on the computer for loss of communication data. He's thinking that might be the problem. He's going to do the recall (reprogram) on Monday. Hopefully it works.

Also. Gm has released a interm harness with dealer instructions on how to wire it. Basically using a old harness with a new end. It looks like the one I bought from eBay. Anyway this is supposed to be a one time free of charge fix until gm cones out with a "2014" aftermarket harness. Hopefully the one I have will work fine after the program.

I ordered the harnis off eBay, hooked up a aftermarket controler. It worked one day and not the next. We checked all the fuses everything is fine. I have a friend that works at a dealer he looked it over couldn't find anything. He did a search on the computer. There is a recall on the computer for loss of communication data. He's thinking that might be the problem. He's going to do the recall (reprogram) on Monday. Hopefully it works.

Thank you for this valuable information. I read stories like this, and i'm thinkin' I might just by-pass the whole works and go "old school". That means making a nice seperate harness with loom and run it from the firewall area, down the frame and connected directly to the brake control and battery charge wires at the supplied trailer plug in the bumper.

The truck does it's thing and the trailer does it own thing. No fuss, no muss, no trips back to the dealer.

Thank you for this valuable information. I read stories like this, and i'm thinkin' I might just by-pass the whole works and go "old school". That means making a nice seperate harness with loom and run it from the firewall area, down the frame and connected directly to the brake control and battery charge wires at the supplied trailer plug in the bumper.

The truck does it's thing and the trailer does it own thing. No fuss, no muss, no trips back to the dealer.

Unless the communication problem is with the brake input switch. I can't imagine the ground, power, & blue wire aren't all direct. I would imagine the issue is with the brake input signal.

Remember the old days when it was just a 12 volt + that you could tie right into?

Heck, I remember the even older days when the brake controller was hydraulic!

Unless the communication problem is with the brake input switch. I can't imagine the ground, power, & blue wire aren't all direct. I would imagine the issue is with the brake input signal.

I'm wondering if the brake input signal actually communicates with some JL1 stuff that's built into EVERY truck?There might be a whole lot of "loose ends" here? And perhaps a re-program might turn off some parameters expecting the real, complete JL1 thing?

Yes, we'll all await Cmillerjr's findings! Good luck!

"I'm wondering if the brake input signal actually communicates with some JL1 stuff that's built into EVERY truck?There might be a whole lot of "loose ends" here?"

Here's a thought I'd like to volley off to you guys! If we are all sitting here with trucks less JL1, what's the one thing all of our trucks have in common? How about the empty plug in our dash, top LH corner where the GM factory integrated brake controller goes? And, what if the re-programing doesn't work? Perhaps the "loose end" I was speaking of earlier is that empty plug? And there's a component designed in this electronic world of ours that been invented to "complete" the language circuit in possible situations like this. It's called a "snubber".

Now a "snubber" needs to be built by a technical electronics pro. One that knows the language of these systems inside and out. Maybe all we need is the proper snubber built, plugged in and circuit completed? Then truck can send signals on down the line to the trailer plug and any ECM's, ECU's or modules affected can do their jobs and not have a communication "opening" trigger a code.

Sorry to put the "wagon ahead of the horse" here, but I was thinking if you re-program with the same program, nothing will get fixed. And I find it hard to believe they have a program re-written for trailer braking before they even have a proper non-homogenized harness invented yet for an aftermarket brake controller.

Regards.

"I'm wondering if the brake input signal actually communicates with some JL1 stuff that's built into EVERY truck?There might be a whole lot of "loose ends" here?"

Here's a thought I'd like to volley off to you guys! If we are all sitting here with trucks less JL1, what's the one thing all of our trucks have in common? How about the empty plug in our dash, top LH corner where the GM factory integrated brake controller goes? And, what if the re-programing doesn't work? Perhaps the "loose end" I was speaking of earlier is that empty plug? And there's a component designed in this electronic world of ours that been invented to "complete" the language circuit in possible situations like this. It's called a "snubber".

Now a "snubber" needs to be built by a technical electronics pro. One that knows the language of these systems inside and out. Maybe all we need is the proper snubber built, plugged in and circuit completed? Then truck can send signals on down the line to the trailer plug and any ECM's, ECU's or modules affected can do their jobs and not have a communication "opening" trigger a code.

Sorry to put the "wagon ahead of the horse" here, but I was thinking if you re-program with the same program, nothing will get fixed. And I find it hard to believe they have a program re-written for trailer braking before they even have a proper non-homogenized harness invented yet for an aftermarket brake controller.

Regards.

Bump

Archived