Aftermarket Brake Controller

Took a 24 foot "Pace" car trailer on back roads this morning, slowly-just to try. I went about two miles or so. This 2014 Sierra is going to be a real nice tow vehicle...............when the brake controller issue gets sorted out.

I'm seeing my local Tekonsha dealer this week and see if that P/N 3016 "Proportional Wiring Adapter" is released for public sale yet? And if it is, I'm gonna try it with my P3 Controller.

You'll see, it's gonna work!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is the latest on my attempt to buy the aftermarket "3016" harness from Tekonsha: -first supplier forgot about about me and my harness. -second supplier tried three of thier suppliers....3016 harness has not been released yet. Anyone out there had good luck with the GM invented "interum" harness and have not had any communication failure codes yet?

We had a contractor come into our yard at work this afternoon. Gee, he had a 2014 Sierra. I rushed over to see what he's done about his brake control situation.

Drat.......he's got JL1.

Back to work.........

You might want to try etrailer, they have the 3016 cable in stock.. I know. I ordered it a few days ago and installed it in the truck this afternoon.

I didn't go out and tow but I did hook it up and it seems to work perfectly with my Tekonsha P2. Recognizes the brake and sends voltage to the trailer brakes as designed.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tekonsha/3016.html

You might want to try etrailer, they have the 3016 cable in stock.. I know. I ordered it a few days ago and installed it in the truck this afternoon.

I didn't go out and tow but I did hook it up and it seems to work perfectly with my Tekonsha P2. Recognizes the brake and sends voltage to the trailer brakes as designed.

What truck do you have and exactly what did you have to do to install the Tekonsha - wire anything to the battery or fuse box or just plug in the controller cable? I asked my dealer service dept about the brake controller cable and they ordered some parts from the factory to make me an adapter as others have stated already

This is good news. I keep trying suppliers here in Canada for the 3016 and keep getting a goose egg.

Keep us posted when you do tow your trailer for a bit.

What truck do you have and exactly what did you have to do to install the Tekonsha - wire anything to the battery or fuse box or just plug in the controller cable? I asked my dealer service dept about the brake controller cable and they ordered some parts from the factory to make me an adapter as others have stated already

I have a Silverado 1LT double cab with the G82 trailer package (part of the Custom Sport package), 5.3 with 3.42 locking rear axle.

The install is plug and play. It plugs into a 4 port Jack on the panel under a large black cover beside the parking break. There was a picture of this panel somewhere, I don't know where it was. That cable just plugs into the Controller.

This is good news. I keep trying suppliers here in Canada for the 3016 and keep getting a goose egg.

Keep us posted when you do tow your trailer for a bit.

Will do. It will be a few weeks, I need to get over 500 miles and find time to properly load the trailer to reset my WD hitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my service dept ordered one of the cables for me - 15805418. It has a brown plug on one end and the other is a 6' pigtail with 5 leads at the end - dark blue, red, black, light blue and brown. The brown plug has not been modified at all in any way, even though the service dept assured me they assembled this correctly. I thought this cable was supposed to attach to the brake controller?

I'm still waiting for the arrival for the Tekonsha 3016 cable from any RV dealer. None yet. Seems simple and correct for the info I have. I was at my local GM Parts department just yesterday. I asked if they had the "3016" in stock? "Oh ya, we've got them at our install centre". But when he started to describe the assy, I think he was refering to the 1585418.

• 1 month later...

If I knew it was a easy to remove mine and it could be retro-fitted to your truck I would offer to sell you the factory controller out of my truck seeing as I will never use it.

There are several threads on here that discuss the brake controller. Search is your friend...One of them is is here http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/155221-adding-the-integrated-brake-controller/page-2?hl=+brake +controller another one: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154262-brake-control/?hl= brake controller

Mike

Archived