I know this is going to look suspicious being only my third post but I wasn't sure what forum to join at first. I have noticed a shake or vibration in my new 4x4 crew 5.5 box 5.3 truck it seems to come and go and has been a pain to pin point what makes it happen. I can feel it in the steering wheel, seat and sometimes the gas petal but mostly in the steering wheel. It seems to be most noticeable going up or down hill with very light acceleration but can do it on level ground at cruise speed too. And the fun part is it doesn't always do it to make it more of a challenge to diagnose it.

Brought it to the dealer last week and I thought the mechanic was going to think I was crazy but he did feel it too which was a relief also the service writer test drove it after they balanced and rotated the tires and he said its slight, but he felt it too. We scheduled it to come in tomorrow and are opening a warranty claim. I have very little faith that its going to get fixed because of the nature of the vibration and it being so new that there probably isn't any info out there on what it could be. I really don't know what they can do tomorrow other then make phone calls. If I had to venture a guess I'm going to say its in the transmission or possibly the engine.

We also have a 2012 equinox and on the same roads there's no vibration at all.

Also I have the z71 and man does that thing ride STIFF! Every repair strip in the tar is felt hard! Anyone know if it just takes some miles to get the shocks broke in (2600 on it now)? My 04 was a z71 too and rode much, much softer then this.

I would really like to get this figured out because it, along with a few other
smaller things is preventing me from loving this truck.

Edited by MotoMedic
Added Topic Tags
  • Like 6

My first thought is the U-Joints... Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I had a similar thought, had a truck with the same issue and they balanced the driveshaft which took care of the problem. OP, I noticed the same thing with the Z71 package, which is why I bought a 1LT.

Either the tire/wheel assemblies have excessive radial force variation, the rear driveshaft (propshaft) is out of balance or the right side engine mount needs to be shimmed 3 mm. Those are the only vibration issues that I have seen with a K2XX truck.

• Like 3

For the money they are asking for these vehicles, they should not have issues like this. GM still has ways to go as far as quality control is concerned. I am also surprised that the ride is so harsh with the Z71 suspension. It is not that bad on my '06 truck which I will keep because my mileage is so low and I am afraid that I might end up with headaches with a new one..

Edited by pm26
  • Like 1

So I got it back from the dealer today and was told they test drove one from the lot and it had the same vibration and possibly even worse then mine. I was told GM admits there is a problem but at this time no solution. I was told to wait until there's a solution or the problem progresses.

• Like 2

I know this is going to look suspicious being only my third post but I wasn't sure what forum to join at first. I have noticed a shake or vibration in my new 4x4 crew 5.5 box 5.3 truck it seems to come and go and has been a pain to pin point what makes it happen. I can feel it in the steering wheel, seat and sometimes the gas petal but mostly in the steering wheel. It seems to be most noticeable going up or down hill with very light acceleration but can do it on level ground at cruise speed too. And the fun part is it doesn't always do it to make it more of a challenge to diagnose it.

Brought it to the dealer last week and I thought the mechanic was going to think I was crazy but he did feel it too which was a relief also the service writer test drove it after they balanced and rotated the tires and he said its slight, but he felt it too. We scheduled it to come in tomorrow and are opening a warranty claim. I have very little faith that its going to get fixed because of the nature of the vibration and it being so new that there probably isn't any info out there on what it could be. I really don't know what they can do tomorrow other then make phone calls. If I had to venture a guess I'm going to say its in the transmission or possibly the engine.

We also have a 2012 equinox and on the same roads there's no vibration at all.

Also I have the z71 and man does that thing ride STIFF! Every repair strip in the tar is felt hard! Anyone know if it just takes some miles to get the shocks broke in (2600 on it now)? My 04 was a z71 too and rode much, much softer then this.

Do u have 20s on or 18s? I could not get 20s on my 900 with Z-71. Claimed it would ride too rough.

I would not wait for manna from GM. Really, go online and fine the best deal you can on Bilsteins 5100s. Get your independent repair guy to put them on. May not fix the problem but your ride will not be harsh.

Not sure where you live, but look/ask about for some wheel/brake/suspension place (ask the truck aftermarket guys in your area) that can true and spin balance the tires on the truck. Most places, esp dealers and even joints like discount with road force cannot get a good balance on wheels/tires. If you can find a place that balances drive shafts let them drive it. Probably square tires.

Not sure why C T 77 mention a shim on the motor mount. Maybe he can explain.

Edited by STex

We also have a 2012 equinox and on the same roads there's no vibration at all.Also I have the z71 and man does that thing ride STIFF! Every repair strip in the tar is felt hard! Anyone know if it just takes some miles to get the shocks broke in (2600 on it now)? My 04 was a z71 too and rode much, much softer then this.

Do u have 20s on or 18s? I could not get 20s on my 900 with Z-71. Claimed it would ride too rough.

I would not wait for manna from GM. Really, go online and fine the best deal you can on Bilsteins 5100s. Get your independent repair guy to put them on. May not fix the problem but your ride will not be harsh.

Not sure where you live, but look/ask about for some wheel/brake/suspension place (ask the truck aftermarket guys in your area) that can true and spin balance the tires on the truck. Most places, esp dealers and even joints like discount with road force cannot get a good balance on wheels/tires. If you can find a place that balances drive shafts let them drive it. Probably square tires.

Not sure why C T 77 mention a shim on the motor mount. Maybe he can explain.

Now they make you have the Z-71 package to get 22's...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do they make Bilstiens for the 14 yet or are they the same as the 2013?

Dang Good question. I think they would be the same but??? One could call around. I got mine from 4 wheel parts. Could not find the '14. would need to call.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Shock-Absorbers.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&Manufacturer_PQ=Bilstein&kw=bilstein%205100

Toll-Free: 800-257-5629

I have 18s. The part that has me confused is it doesn't always do it.

I have had wheel balance trouble that came and went on different roads. If it rides smooth on smooth roads and seems out of it on not so smooth roads it could be balance. Rough on smooth roads with passenger seat shaking is rear balance or drive shaft,

Did the dealer check to see if tires out of round? Even discount tire has replace a Michelin for me that my independent on the truck balance shop said was to far out to even true. Discount agreed. Just hunting here. Hope solved soon.

I presume it is a 4x4 - have they looked at the front end? There could be problems with the forward drive shaft, differential, etc. That could account for the vibration being felt in the steering wheel.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

ADSENSE FOOTER
  • Similar Content

• By Theresa
      I have a 2012 GMC Acadia Denali AWD.  Since I have purchased the vehicle 2 years ago, it has had a vibration issue.  It seems to vibrate at speeds 60 and over and tends to do it more when accelerating and after sitting for a few hours or more.  Dealership thought it was the tires.  After replacing the tires right after it was bought, that didn't help.  30,000 miles later replaced the tires again still has not helped.  They even took tires/rims off a brand new Enclave and put on my vehicle and it still did not fix the issue (used as a test to see if it was from the new tires and/or rims).  Also, the tires that were on the vehicle when we purchased it used, wore unevenly (I think they called it cupping or something along that lines but cant remember).  Regardless in our eyes, this vibration issue is causing the tires to wear quickly and wear in an uneven manner.  The second set of tires wore the same way.  We are now on set number three.  The steering wheel also shimmies back and forth (kind of like the tires are extremely off balance or kind of like when your rotors are warped and your applying the brakes).  The issue with the steering wheel is not happening when braking so it's not the rotors.   Now they did find one issue, the car was almost bouncing up and down a bit also, and they found the torque converter had to be replaced.  While replacing the torque converter, they inspected the drive shaft to make sue nothing was wrong with that.  The car has had the alignment checked multiple times and the tires have been balanced to the ying yang including road forced balanced at more than one facility.  Some of the things I know the dealership have checked are the following:  all suspension parts, motor mounts, axles......they even hook it up to a picoscope to monitor the vibration to see if it could pick up where the vibration is coming from.  I mean it's almost like your on a 1940's exercise vibration machine the whole time your driving it....your just shaking the whole time your driving it and you can feel it in the steering wheel as it's shimming back and forth.  It  has been check multiple times over the last two years.  FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY, CAN ANYONE COME UP WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS......I THINK THE DEALERSHIP AND ME & THE HUBBY ARE BEYOND FRUSTRATED.
    • By Dwp_Silveraydo
      Truck started to make a squeaking noise this weekend, took it to the dealership on Monday. Dealership called Tuesday and said that they could not find anything wrong with the truck and that this sound is normal. Take a look at this video so that you can hear and understand what I am talking about.  https://youtu.be/aERzjGAX-aU
      Does this sound normal to you guys? I also put water on the belt and the noise was persistent so it does not appear to be the belt. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
    • By Mike1220
      Hey all, SO let me start by mentioning I changed out my stock lower ball joints to Moog lower ball joints on November 5th, 2016. This being said, I removed the stock LBJ after 40k miles (20k on level w/ stock tires, 20k on 6" RCX knuckle and spacer lift w/ 35x12.5 tires and 20x9 rims @ 0 offset), and it looks like I am needing to replace them AGAIN! Barely even 10k miles later I am seeing the same irregular wear pattern as when I had the stock ball joints. I greased them when new and at oil change (every 5k mark). I got the vehicle aligned the following day after I installed the new LBJ btw, and I also changed the UCA to cognito arms at the same time.

What I am curious of is if the issue is lying in the stock rancho shocks and the spacer lift maybe being too rough on the LBJ on the truck, this being said, does anyone else with more knowledge/experience in this area have any advice or other possible causes? I have searched the internet and haven't found anything really definitive so Im at a loss. I am at 50k right now and will have the truck at the shop within the week to get the alignment checked as well as other routine maintenance performed.

I am just at a total loss and don't want to run through these new tires nearly as fast as I went through my old ones (barely even 25k miles before the edges were at 10% tread remaining at best)

The rear tires are wearing beautifully but the fronts are wearing from the outside, in. The outer scalloped edges are all even and smoothed out, whereas the interior side of the tire still has extremely defined edges that look practically brand new

I'll get photos and attach for reference.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    • By Vibe15
      Hi everyone.
      Been along time since I've posted about my 2015 vibrator. Well what a story I have for you! I'll make it short n sweet as possible.

First the dealership, couple of hiccups but overall really good to me.

Second the Gm customer service, very pleasant to talk to......that's all.

Third Gm district manager, treated me very well with buyback.

1/16 New 2015 1500 double ltz 6.2 20" vibrated bad from day one! Approx 6-7 months later after 4 sets of tires, alignments etc.. was offered buyback. Ordered a 2017 1500 crew ltz z71 6.2 18" loaded on first order date. ( z71 and 18" highly suggested for least amount of possible vibration problems by DM )

12/20/16 new truck FINALLY arrives. Stunning, rides amazing.

5/17 4K miles started to notice a little vibration. Could live with it.

6/17 vibration worse, rear end was making odd noise off and on. Rear end locked up several times at very low speeds and just dragged tires.

Will leave out all the bs. Rear end was blown. Btw I don't beat on my trucks.

GM POLICY.... new model year rebuild only! If 2016 and older new rear end.

RFB tires 2 no good. 2 new tires( found out were out of spec to, put on anyways)

Rebuilt rear end, 2 new tires truck vibrated worse, rear end made bad clunking noise and all around seemed worse. Didn't want to go through another buyback and was told GM probably won't do it.

Traded for 2017 Colorado v6 crew long bed. Surprisingly really like this little truck.

Ok you ready.... 207 miles on it, took it on highway, vibrated worse than my first truck. Also noticed whole truck had a slight lean to drivers side.

Took service manager for ride and couldn't believe how bad it was. Also measured truck and driver side was shorter. RFB tires, perfect, checked everything, perfect. No bulletins for it. Never had a Colorado vibrate. Nothing he could do about it. Said you got a lemon. He was gonna contact DM. ( I wrote a email to DM in detail of what My family and I have gone through the past year and a half, how much money we have lost, how much stress we have had and to please just give me a new Colorado ) He got in touch with New DM and explained he couldn't fix it, it's a lemon. Definitely should do a buyback. Well guess what DENIED!! IM FLOORED... unfixable truck is mine.

Almost traded for another New Silverado but couldn't do it. Lemon law would take to long and they would get me for mileage( which is not cheap ) and I have to drive it.

8/17 traded for a beautiful black 2017 v6 twin turbo crew cab loaded f150. Couldn't be happier. Really impressed with motor, better tow, better mileage, seats more comfortable, all around better.

Unfortunately For GM ( not that it matters to them ) I will never buy a GM product again and I will steer anyone who asks away from them.

BTW... I personally know several 15-17 Silverado owners who's trucks vibrate, most common said things from them is...

Dont have time to bring it in. Don't wanna go through bs. Take the wife's car for long drives. Brought it in got new tires still vibrates. Gonna trade for Ram/Ford.

So the number of REPORTED vibration issues means nothing.. lots of people don't have time, don't wanna deal with bs, traded or just don't care.

In the past year and a half I've asked approximately 50 15-17 Silverado owners if theirs vibrated. HALF said yes and all at highway speeds.

Personally I think they all vibrate on different levels. On the low end response well it's a truck, that's how it rides. It's expected. And don't forget service guys going with you for test ride saying, that's the tires their aggressive your gonna get that. Unfortunately I've heard it all.

My Silverado crew rode like a Cadillac until 4K miles. Take no excuses!!!!

Thanks for reading and good luck to all.
    • By Blue17
      Okay so I trying to track down a vibration at 68-75 mph (no I'm serious) the dealer has already did the road force and force match process and it is better, but not right. Currently my truck has Goodyear LS-2's on it. The dealer has a set of the same rims but with Continental crosscontact tires on them. I watch them upgrade a Tahoe to 22's. the Tahoe has the same NHT towing package and the tires are rated the same in all respects. The dealer said If they try those and I like the ride better we can keep them on the truck and basically do a swap. since my truck has very low miles.

I did notice that the vehicles on his lot with higher stock numbers (newer ones) have continentals and the older stock numbers have Goodyears ls-2s. So why did GM change their tire supplier for these size rims (275/55/20)

Question is which do you like best Goodyear or continental, and why? the Tire rack compare feature slams the goodyears and says good things about the continentals.