I know this is going to look suspicious being only my third post but I wasn't sure what forum to join at first. I have noticed a shake or vibration in my new 4x4 crew 5.5 box 5.3 truck it seems to come and go and has been a pain to pin point what makes it happen. I can feel it in the steering wheel, seat and sometimes the gas petal but mostly in the steering wheel. It seems to be most noticeable going up or down hill with very light acceleration but can do it on level ground at cruise speed too. And the fun part is it doesn't always do it to make it more of a challenge to diagnose it.

Brought it to the dealer last week and I thought the mechanic was going to think I was crazy but he did feel it too which was a relief also the service writer test drove it after they balanced and rotated the tires and he said its slight, but he felt it too. We scheduled it to come in tomorrow and are opening a warranty claim. I have very little faith that its going to get fixed because of the nature of the vibration and it being so new that there probably isn't any info out there on what it could be. I really don't know what they can do tomorrow other then make phone calls. If I had to venture a guess I'm going to say its in the transmission or possibly the engine.

We also have a 2012 equinox and on the same roads there's no vibration at all.

Also I have the z71 and man does that thing ride STIFF! Every repair strip in the tar is felt hard! Anyone know if it just takes some miles to get the shocks broke in (2600 on it now)? My 04 was a z71 too and rode much, much softer then this.

I would really like to get this figured out because it, along with a few other
smaller things is preventing me from loving this truck.

Edited by MotoMedic
Added Topic Tags
  • Like 6

My first thought is the U-Joints...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My first thought is the U-Joints... Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I had a similar thought, had a truck with the same issue and they balanced the driveshaft which took care of the problem. OP, I noticed the same thing with the Z71 package, which is why I bought a 1LT.

Either the tire/wheel assemblies have excessive radial force variation, the rear driveshaft (propshaft) is out of balance or the right side engine mount needs to be shimmed 3 mm. Those are the only vibration issues that I have seen with a K2XX truck.

• Like 3

For the money they are asking for these vehicles, they should not have issues like this. GM still has ways to go as far as quality control is concerned. I am also surprised that the ride is so harsh with the Z71 suspension. It is not that bad on my '06 truck which I will keep because my mileage is so low and I am afraid that I might end up with headaches with a new one..

Edited by pm26
  • Like 1

So I got it back from the dealer today and was told they test drove one from the lot and it had the same vibration and possibly even worse then mine. I was told GM admits there is a problem but at this time no solution. I was told to wait until there's a solution or the problem progresses.

• Like 2

I know this is going to look suspicious being only my third post but I wasn't sure what forum to join at first. I have noticed a shake or vibration in my new 4x4 crew 5.5 box 5.3 truck it seems to come and go and has been a pain to pin point what makes it happen. I can feel it in the steering wheel, seat and sometimes the gas petal but mostly in the steering wheel. It seems to be most noticeable going up or down hill with very light acceleration but can do it on level ground at cruise speed too. And the fun part is it doesn't always do it to make it more of a challenge to diagnose it.

Brought it to the dealer last week and I thought the mechanic was going to think I was crazy but he did feel it too which was a relief also the service writer test drove it after they balanced and rotated the tires and he said its slight, but he felt it too. We scheduled it to come in tomorrow and are opening a warranty claim. I have very little faith that its going to get fixed because of the nature of the vibration and it being so new that there probably isn't any info out there on what it could be. I really don't know what they can do tomorrow other then make phone calls. If I had to venture a guess I'm going to say its in the transmission or possibly the engine.

We also have a 2012 equinox and on the same roads there's no vibration at all.

Also I have the z71 and man does that thing ride STIFF! Every repair strip in the tar is felt hard! Anyone know if it just takes some miles to get the shocks broke in (2600 on it now)? My 04 was a z71 too and rode much, much softer then this.

Do u have 20s on or 18s? I could not get 20s on my 900 with Z-71. Claimed it would ride too rough.

I would not wait for manna from GM. Really, go online and fine the best deal you can on Bilsteins 5100s. Get your independent repair guy to put them on. May not fix the problem but your ride will not be harsh.

Not sure where you live, but look/ask about for some wheel/brake/suspension place (ask the truck aftermarket guys in your area) that can true and spin balance the tires on the truck. Most places, esp dealers and even joints like discount with road force cannot get a good balance on wheels/tires. If you can find a place that balances drive shafts let them drive it. Probably square tires.

Not sure why C T 77 mention a shim on the motor mount. Maybe he can explain.

Edited by STex

We also have a 2012 equinox and on the same roads there's no vibration at all.Also I have the z71 and man does that thing ride STIFF! Every repair strip in the tar is felt hard! Anyone know if it just takes some miles to get the shocks broke in (2600 on it now)? My 04 was a z71 too and rode much, much softer then this.

Do u have 20s on or 18s? I could not get 20s on my 900 with Z-71. Claimed it would ride too rough.

I would not wait for manna from GM. Really, go online and fine the best deal you can on Bilsteins 5100s. Get your independent repair guy to put them on. May not fix the problem but your ride will not be harsh.

Not sure where you live, but look/ask about for some wheel/brake/suspension place (ask the truck aftermarket guys in your area) that can true and spin balance the tires on the truck. Most places, esp dealers and even joints like discount with road force cannot get a good balance on wheels/tires. If you can find a place that balances drive shafts let them drive it. Probably square tires.

Not sure why C T 77 mention a shim on the motor mount. Maybe he can explain.

Now they make you have the Z-71 package to get 22's...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do they make Bilstiens for the 14 yet or are they the same as the 2013?

Dang Good question. I think they would be the same but??? One could call around. I got mine from 4 wheel parts. Could not find the '14. would need to call.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Shock-Absorbers.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&Manufacturer_PQ=Bilstein&kw=bilstein%205100

Toll-Free: 800-257-5629

I have 18s. The part that has me confused is it doesn't always do it.

I have had wheel balance trouble that came and went on different roads. If it rides smooth on smooth roads and seems out of it on not so smooth roads it could be balance. Rough on smooth roads with passenger seat shaking is rear balance or drive shaft,

Did the dealer check to see if tires out of round? Even discount tire has replace a Michelin for me that my independent on the truck balance shop said was to far out to even true. Discount agreed. Just hunting here. Hope solved soon.

I presume it is a 4x4 - have they looked at the front end? There could be problems with the forward drive shaft, differential, etc. That could account for the vibration being felt in the steering wheel.

• Like 1