First off, thanks to you dmetz82 for all the effort, time, expense, and the live action A/V presentations.

Been following this topic for a long time now. Damn tired of the BS that GM puts us owners through, what does it take?

OK, bought new '15 4X4 CC HC 6.2 8-sp full load. Noticed problems since new and only 14k miles now.

3 trips to dealer...

(1) Road force all 4 wheels and replaced both front tires with stock GY Eagle S-2's...took care of front

end shake and steering wheel rock steady to this day. Rear end still shakes.

(2) Took back and road force rears 2nd time...told by service mgr they were in specs...rear still shakes.

Emailed concerns to regional GM office.

(3) GM rep from Salt Lake (?engineer?) set up appt at dealer. Out on I-15, GM rep driving, I was passenger,

and dealer tire tech in back seat for a 10 mile loop ride up to 82mph. GM rep said that was best of all trucks he

drove with shake problems and nothing else can be done since it was again within specs (what specs???).

The truck was as new, stock everything, no mods or weight. Granted I felt less shake but attribute that to an

extra 2 men adding approx 350-400 lbs dynamic loading effect to dampen the rear suspension. Still had shakes

returning home after test drive. Nothing gained again!

Called service mgr and again told all in specs. Called him about 2 weeks later asking if any new remedy for the

shake/vibration issue has surfaced and again NO. He suggested maybe it was the all electric steering system

that was telegraphing to shake to the rear end. And he is the service mgr...WTF!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyones input. Don't want to drive, haven't put 1000 miles on in past year. Listen up GM!!!

Edited by txab
duplication

Numerous trips for my truck for the vibration/shake. 2016 LT Z71 with 5448 miles. My drop down armrest/console would shake over an inch side to side between 70 and 75 at times.

1st trip ... road force balance, then a run with the pico scope. Readings were 27, 4, 48 and 8. Replaced 2 tires and one rear shock that had a leak. The arm rest shake was gone but a slight vibration in the steering wheel was present. Drove it 1000 miles and no better.

2nd trip .... run with pico scope showed right front out of balance. Road forced tire. Same feel in steering wheel up to 75 and then a bad vibration.

3rd trip ... Dealer contacted GM and was told to replace steering bushings. Was told GM came up with a liquid filled bushing to help with the problem. It took care of the vibration at 75 mph but after 600 miles, slight feel in steering wheel persists.

4th trip ... took a drive with shop manager and another guy that travels to the multiple locations of this dealer and 'trouble shoots'. He felt it and used the word 'pecking' to describe it. Both admitted GM has a problem and they don't have a fix for it. Took a cue from dmetz82 and took a half full bottle of water with me. The shop manager in the back set zeroed in on it but of course nothing severe showed on the road. They decided to run the pico scope again, attached to seat frame and steering column to get a reading and contact GM for a recommendation if needed. Shop manager called and said the truck was in spec so nothing else they could do. Asked what 'spec' is, and was told 15 and was provided copies of the readings.

SO, that is where I'm at. On and off slight vibration mostly at highway speed. Sometimes I think I feel it at slower speeds but the shocks on the Z71 transmit everything little thing on the road. I am surprised service didn't bring that up as a contributing factor for the feeling.

So at this point i have:

1 - Rebuilt an entirely new deiveshaft with spicer joints

2 - Replaced wheels and tires, went back to stock rims with new tires with 5 alignments and balances

3 - Had the poorly manufactured rear axles replaced

4 - Shimmed the rear end 2 - 4 degrees both ways

5 - Replaced front hubs and bearings

6 - Replaced front CV axel shafts (4x4)

7 - Shimmed the front differential then back to stock

8 - Installed Fox Coilovers, Rears and upper control arms then back to stock

9 - Re-torqued rear axle U-bolts

10 - Installed lowering shackles then back to stock

Plus a handful of other wishful thinking ideas that have come across the internet and with everything replaced and done I have had little to no resolution. If anything it has seem to move the vibrations to where they feel more forward in the truck. As of right now it feels like my steering is failing and sloppy but is still relative to the driveline based on being exacerbated under heavy torque load and freeway speeds. I would like to know if anyone has explored options outside of what I have don't so I can eliminate wasting more time and money. I still feel that it is something in the transmission or front differential.

I have a running list of parts replaced and things I have tried similar to yours I don't want to list everything or think about all the time and money I have wasted. I removed the front drive line and drive shafts completely to test the front diff theory. This is the same front diff design gm has been using for 20 years, it's not the diff.

I have a running list of parts replaced and things I have tried similar to yours I don't want to list everything or think about all the time and money I have wasted. I removed the front drive line and drive shafts completely to test the front diff theory. This is the same front diff design gm has been using for 20 years, it's not the diff.

Thanks for letting me know before I wasted my time. Are you feeling it more in the front end in the steering wheel and pedals? I'm getting it at speeds of 25mph and up.

I am formally announcing my re-launch of my efforts to raise enough money to blow my truck up for my YouTube docuseries. You can view the KickStarter campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blowitup/773833542?ref=preview&token=92b93d0b

I know how frustrating this has been so I look forward to hearing everyone’s input on this project.

A word of Caution:

Donations Not Charitable:

“Under US Federal tax law if you are not a registered tax-exempt charity

and you "ask" or solicit in any way (eg. Paypal Donate button, Facebook, etc.)

for a donation, then you MUST put a clearly worded statement indicating

that you are not a registered charity AND that ANY and ALL donations

made to you are NOT tax deductible. Failure to display this

statement is going to get you into big trouble if someone gives

you a sizable donation and then lists you as the "charity" on

his/her Federal income tax form and gets audited.

The IRS has taken the view in the past that when a person "sees"

the word “donation,” then that person "assumes" that he or she

can list it as a deduction on their tax returns.

Also any "donations" received by you are fully taxable at the

federal level and possibly at the state level as "ordinary income."

In other words, it is income that has to be reported on your

tax return under form W-99 misc. income."

Thanks for letting me know before I wasted my time. Are you feeling it more in the front end in the steering wheel and pedals? I'm getting it at speeds of 25mph and up.

i have the same vibration on my truck ..

engine mount - transmission mount - cap mounts this the only thing left

I am formally announcing my re-launch of my efforts to raise enough money to blow my truck up for my YouTube docuseries. You can view the KickStarter campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blowitup/773833542?ref=preview&token=92b93d0b

I know how frustrating this has been so I look forward to hearing everyone’s input on this project.

Any chance of making a public Facebook post so it can be spread more easily?

It really depends on the speed I can feel it at every speed but its most noticeable above 68 MPH. After 70 is where it shifts from being more in the steering wheel to the seat and center console to about 75 then it goes back to the steering wheel and pedals and kind of back and fourth between the 2 locations depending on the speed. The vibration is also the least noticeable when the fuel tank is either almost empty or completely full after filling up. It's like the fuel in the tank is doing to same thing as the water bottle in the cup holder.

It really depends on the speed I can feel it at every speed but its most noticeable above 68 MPH. After 70 is where it shifts from being more in the steering wheel to the seat and center console to about 75 then it goes back to the steering wheel and pedals and kind of back and fourth between the 2 locations depending on the speed. The vibration is also the least noticeable when the fuel tank is either almost empty or completely full after filling up. It's like the fuel in the tank is doing to same thing as the water bottle in the cup holder.

I agree 100% with all of this, especially the gas tank behaving like a water bottle.
  • Like 1

Has anyone done the following tests:

1. Out the truck on stands and run it through the speeds, in both 2wd and 4wd, to see if the vibs are still there? This would eliminate tires once and for all.

2. Run the truck on a chassis dyno without the load, letting the dyno free-wheel, to see what running the tires on a perfect surface does compare to real-world roads. Again, seeing the real effect of tires vs the rest of the moving parts.

Both these should elimante other factors, like fuel sloshing in the tank, aerodynamics, etc. Not sure how t safely run a vehicle at 80mph on stands, so just an academic discussion for now. Still, something to ponder.

I just joined this evening and following the issues. Bought my truck in October 2016 with 16k miles. In the last two months I started to notice a vibration. I am now at 29k+ and on the highway the console and the passenger seat shake. No occupants experience the vibrations when sitting in the seat to my knowledge, but I have also not informed them of the vibrations.

I also picked up on the vibrations by seeing a water bottle lose its mind in the cub holder. I can visually see lots of vibrations in the empty passenger seat by the shake it gives off during highway speeds. This truck did not do this prior to two months ago. I've gotten two tire rotations with the last two services and I purchased a balance recently since they said maybe the tires need a balance now that it vibrates. There was no change in vibration after the balance and rotation.

My advisor informed me if it persists to call and setup a ride along with a tech.

How much play do you have at the front diff output shafts? I have about 1/4" of slop and looks like the axle shafts aren't true either

How much play do you have at the front diff output shafts? I have about 1/4" of slop and looks like the axle shafts aren't true either

maybe 1/8" lateral movement. The axles have a strong 1/8" of radial run out. I thought they might be the issue so I pulled them out, bought some old axles from a wrecked truck and disassembled them to use the outer stub shaft to hold the hub assembly together (your other option is use 2wd hubs) Anyone reading this **DO NOT DRIVE A 4WD TRUCK WITHOUT THE FRONT AXLES INSTALLED YOUR HUBS WILL FALL APART. Didn't affect the vibration at all without the cv shafts in there.

maybe 1/8" lateral movement. The axles have a strong 1/8" of radial run out. I thought they might be the issue so I pulled them out, bought some old axles from a wrecked truck and disassembled them to use the outer stub shaft to hold the hub assembly together (your other option is use 2wd hubs) Anyone reading this **DO NOT DRIVE A 4WD TRUCK WITHOUT THE FRONT AXLES INSTALLED YOUR HUBS WILL FALL APART. Didn't affect the vibration at all without the cv shafts in there.

Copy that, thank you, I have another set of half shafts I disassembled myself.

Hey guys, so I've read back a ways and apologize if this has been covered in previous posts. But, I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab and am getting the shakes in the 70-80 range. I only have 6k miles on the truck, but have a level and aftermarket rims and tires. My shake isn't terrible but it's enough to rattle around the ice and water in a yeti type cup and make noise. My questions is, with the aftermarket parts I have on the truck, should the dealership be giving me issues with warranty work related to the shake? I'd be willing to pay them to balance, etc if we can then cross it off the list of potential causes, but just wanna be prepared for what I'm gonna be up against. The shake was happening before any aftermarket parts but unfortunately I don't have any evidence of that. If someone has personal experience, feel free to message me, I'm sure this has been covered in the 700+ pages but couldn't find anything in the reading I've done. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk