20 hours ago, 2016ChevyShaker said:

First time poster, long time follower of this topic!  I first got my 2016 Chevy Silverado in July 2016 and I didn’t really notice it until around 8000 miles. I now have 17,000 miles on it, have had my truck to the dealer about six times, and they give me the same runaround bullshit! They did a pico scope test, roadforce, and tell me it’s within GM specs. I tried the Hellwig Springs, no go on that either. I did see where someone changed out the rear end for a Yukon rear but I’m not going through all that hassle. 

heres mine: <sorry for portrait video.....its easier when driving>

When they did the pico scope test did they only attach it to the rear seat? They did the same thing to me but if you read through the TSB it also states they need to attach it to the steering column as well.

Also you don't have to go with Yukon. I just disassembles the rear assembly and filmed my axles spinning out of round and in and out. When you show the video to the service department they will fix it no questions asked. I have found that if you can give your dealership substantial evidence that its a manufactured error they will fix it because its easy for them to get their money from GM. GM from my understanding is not willing to correct any of these vibration issues and from a business point of view, I highly doubt a dealership will want to front the money to fix said issue with no reimbursement.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:53 PM, 2016ChevyShaker said:

First time poster, long time follower of this topic!  I first got my 2016 Chevy Silverado in July 2016 and I didn’t really notice it until around 8000 miles. I now have 17,000 miles on it, have had my truck to the dealer about six times, and they give me the same runaround bullshit! They did a pico scope test, roadforce, and tell me it’s within GM specs. I tried the Hellwig Springs, no go on that either. I did see where someone changed out the rear end for a Yukon rear but I’m not going through all that hassle. 

heres mine: <sorry for portrait video.....its easier when driving>

The fold down cup holders on the seat back is not a good example of a vibration test. It is not a solid structure. Hold a pole out and notice how the end your holding is relatively still and how the other end is moving much more. The movement you see starts at the base and is amplified over the distance. The seat back reaching out just amplifies a much smaller movement. Movement from a shaky seat back to begin with. Dissecting the vid. The bottle movement is inconsistent when travelling the same speed. It sounds like the different movements correspond to road imperfections. You can hear the tires going over different surfaces. Just a bad example. By the looks of how little the movement is in the cup holder of this vid compared to other seat back cup holder vids, I will tell you there are people with much worse shakes that might spill that water if the cap were opened. Mine was worse than that till I intervened and there is even worse than I had. Consider yourself somewhat lucky it isn't worse and since GM has no definitive fix you may as well look at the Silver lining here.

Edited by Rambodog
  • Like 1

Not trying to do GM any favours here, but check this out before hopping the fence. Furd has their issues, and ability to "not reproduce the problem" or that all systems are "normal, or within spec", just like GM dealers. The grass isn't always greener on the other side ;) 

• Like 1

Not trying to do GM any favours here, but check this out before hopping the fence. Furd has their issues, and ability to "not reproduce the problem" or that all systems are "normal, or within spec", just like GM dealers. The grass isn't always greener on the other side ;) 

Wow! That's nuts!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It’s my guess that GM is now completely focused on the upcoming 2019 models and is no longer interested in the problems with current generation trucks and suv’s.  I drive a 2015 Silverado and other than having the ac condenser failure which was covered by warranty has been pretty much trouble free.  Personally, I’m also interested in the 2019 Silverado or Sierra 1500, especially magnetic ride.  Also, the platform is new and some harmonic buffers are designed in.  So, seems to me GM is aware of ride problems and has taken steps to address them.  And, haven’t seen any numbers yet but have seen hints that horsepower and torque has been bumped up on both the 5.3 and 6.2.  Anyway, we shall see...

No shake on my 2016 except when I drive on a section of freeway that is grooved concrete and yes it occurs between 70-80mph.

BUT this only appeared after I changed the stock 20" wheel/Goodyear tire combo for the current 18" Pro-Comp/Falken setup on the truck. It's that concrete grooved surface that runs with the flow of traffic. It's really the only time I experience the vibes. Again, the truck did not have this when running the stock wheel/tire setup, so I can't really blame the truck, but I'm going to play with air pressures a bit on these E-rateds and see what happens. I'm even considering finding stock 18" wheels to rule out the Pro-Comps and the 0-offset.

Edited by FHLH

Thanks to everyone for posting so much information on the "GM shimmy".  My wife's 2016 Yukon Denali has it and this has helped.  My 2017 Sierra 1500 Denali has a different problem, however, and I wasn't able to find anything in this thread about it.  When under power and at speed, if you're at 1200-1800 RPM and accelerate, the truck violently shutters.  I would've bet money that it was the torque converter based on the feel.  I've taken the truck in and sat the tech in my truck to duplicate.  The repairs so far have been 1- new engine mounts, 2- one of the cylinders threw a misfire code so they found there was a broken valve spring (wtf?), 3- flush of the tranny system (GM requirement), 4- replace of the torque converter.  I was pretty sure the new torque converter would've fixed the problem, but guess what... it's still there!  At 14K miles, I'm super disappointed.  I believe it may be the fuel management system or something switching from a 4 cylinder mode to 8.  I am at a loss and so is my dealer.  Thanks in advance if you have any guidance here, but after 25 years of being a die hard GM fan, this has me doubting.  

Thanks to everyone for posting so much information on the "GM shimmy".  My wife's 2016 Yukon Denali has it and this has helped.  My 2017 Sierra 1500 Denali has a different problem, however, and I wasn't able to find anything in this thread about it.  When under power and at speed, if you're at 1200-1800 RPM and accelerate, the truck violently shutters.  I would've bet money that it was the torque converter based on the feel.  I've taken the truck in and sat the tech in my truck to duplicate.  The repairs so far have been 1- new engine mounts, 2- one of the cylinders threw a misfire code so they found there was a broken valve spring (wtf?), 3- flush of the tranny system (GM requirement), 4- replace of the torque converter.  I was pretty sure the new torque converter would've fixed the problem, but guess what... it's still there!  At 14K miles, I'm super disappointed.  I believe it may be the fuel management system or something switching from a 4 cylinder mode to 8.  I am at a loss and so is my dealer.  Thanks in advance if you have any guidance here, but after 25 years of being a die hard GM fan, this has me doubting.  
Have you tried putting the transmission in manual mode? Put it in manual and only go to 5 th gear this will keep it out of AFM.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:41 PM, BO TIE 1 said:

Have you tried putting the transmission in manual mode? Put it in manual and only go to 5 th gear this will keep it out of AFM.

Yes, I can do that to make it not happen, but what is the permanent fix?  It's got the clunky 8 speed tranny.  I'm not sure I know how the AFM is engaged on these trucks.  

15 minutes ago, wmadden said:

Yes, I can do that to make it not happen, but what is the permanent fix?  It's got the clunky 8 speed tranny.  I'm not sure I know how the AFM is engaged on these trucks.  

Yeah sorry I thought you had the 6 speed. Not sure on the 8 speed. Probably check your manual.

If you think its the fuel management (AFM) that`s where I would start.

Edited by BO TIE 1

On 8/5/2013 at 10:40 PM, Stex said:

Dang Good question. I think they would be the same but??? One could call around. I got mine from 4 wheel parts. Could not find the '14. would need to call.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Shock-Absorbers.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&Manufacturer_PQ=Bilstein&kw=bilstein%205100

Toll-Free: 800-257-5629