Mine has the chrome 20 inch rims. The balance weights are glued to the inside instead of the usual weights stuck on the lip of the rim. Wonder if the glue on weights might fall off and this might cause a vibration issue? Just a thought..

^ most stick very good. Can be hard to get off I find. About as likely to come off as the rim weights. I have posted so many times so hope no one fries me. If you have vibration that is fairly regular (esp at certain speeds) or on certain roads, get a good balance. On the truck if you can find it or a good road force where they will rotate the tire on the wheel if necessary.

joeocean,

We apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle regarding feeling a constant vibration. We'd like to collect some more information from you in order to better address your concerns. Can you please private message us your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you've been working with?

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

• Like 1

I'm experiencing the same problem w/ my 2014 silverado z71 double cab. Mechanic felt it too. Showed your post and ChevyTech77's suggested fixes to the dealership. Rebalancing the tires didn't fix the problem. It's a subtle vibration I get consistently at 50-55 through the steering wheel. Truck with 750 miles on it shouldn't do this. Dealer said they would contact me when/if any bulletins are issued by GM with a fix.

• Like 1

With the help of GM customer care, they made a phone call to the dealer who originally told me the truck was fine and they all vibrate, and now the dealer replaced the terrible Goodyear assurance tires with a set of Bridgestones and the wobble is gone and the harshness of the ride has diminished quite a bit. Overall I think that is the best it is going to get and I am happy with it. So there must have been at least one tire out of round.

FWIW I test drove a dozen 14 Silverados and Sierras a total of 500 miles before buying, and none of them had any vibration. Overall I was impressed with the consistency of quality control. The most negative comment I have is the 3.42 rear end drives better than the 3.08. Almost all the trucks I drove were crew with 6.5 foot bed, 5.3 4x4.

The one I bought had the most test drive miles (done by me) at about 250. It had aftermarket wheels and tires, and has always been smooth. 9,000 miles and almost three months later, still zero defects. I've only had it up to 95-100 on the extraterrestrial highway in Nevada, still smooth.

Hope those of you with the vibration find a fix. With so many reporting resolution from tire balance, it makes me wonder if a defect in the wheels themselves might be causing your problems. Good luck.

• Like 1

I am also having a vibration issue. When it first started I was convinced it was something in the road; feels exactly like driving on rumble strips. The vibration seems to happen under light to medium power on a slight grade at a steady speed (50 to 65 mph). Only lasts for a second or two but can happen 3 or 4 times in a row. Also seems to happen mostly when in a curve (but does happen on straightaways too).

Once I realized it was the truck and not the road, I tried to de-activate the t/c to see if that might be doing something but no luck. Currently at the dealer and the are trying to reproduce the problem. One concern I has is the truck is leased; I don't want to be putting a ton of miles on it driving it around trying to deal with an issue that's certainly not any fault of mine.

BTW Has anyone noticed their RPMs "floating" constantly while the cruise is set? I could see this happening on a road with a lot of ups and downs but it seems to do it on a steady pull up hill too. Dealer says this is normal and the truck is doing what it can to save MPGs bit it seems counter productive to me; uses more fuel if it's constantly trying to catch up.

I am also having a vibration issue. When it first started I was convinced it was something in the road; feels exactly like driving on rumble strips. The vibration seems to happen under light to medium power on a slight grade at a steady speed (50 to 65 mph). Only lasts for a second or two but can happen 3 or 4 times in a row. Also seems to happen mostly when in a curve (but does happen on straightaways too).

Once I realized it was the truck and not the road, I tried to de-activate the t/c to see if that might be doing something but no luck. Currently at the dealer and the are trying to reproduce the problem. One concern I has is the truck is leased; I don't want to be putting a ton of miles on it driving it around trying to deal with an issue that's certainly not any fault of mine.

BTW Has anyone noticed their RPMs "floating" constantly while the cruise is set? I could see this happening on a road with a lot of ups and downs but it seems to do it on a steady pull up hill too. Dealer says this is normal and the truck is doing what it can to save MPGs bit it seems counter productive to me; uses more fuel if it's constantly trying to catch up.

Brandon - I had the exact same issue. Runs smooth when you're off the gas, right? You will probably notice that the truck will "lurch" while shifting through 2nd-3rd, and 3rd-4th gears soon. Took mine back to the dealer and they agreed there was a problem. They couldn't figure it out, so they called in a GM field engineer. They came to the conclusion the torque convertor was out of balance, and chose to replace it. Worked great for 5 days. Then all the issues came back. This time, at the direction of the field engineer, they disassembled the transmission - still couldn't find any issues. So, they chose to replace the entire transmission (which included a transmission control module & another new torque convertor). So far, it's running fine.

I had about 7k miles on it when this first started. Put about 2k on it since the new transmission. Each time, the dealer had the truck for about 2 weeks. Everything was under warranty.

Haven't notice the RPM thing, so I can't help you there.

• Like 1

Brandon - I had the exact same issue. Runs smooth when you're off the gas, right? You will probably notice that the truck will "lurch" while shifting through 2nd-3rd, and 3rd-4th gears soon. Took mine back to the dealer and they agreed there was a problem. They couldn't figure it out, so they called in a GM field engineer. They came to the conclusion the torque convertor was out of balance, and chose to replace it. Worked great for 5 days. Then all the issues came back. This time, at the direction of the field engineer, they disassembled the transmission - still couldn't find any issues. So, they chose to replace the entire transmission (which included a transmission control module & another new torque convertor). So far, it's running fine.

I had about 7k miles on it when this first started. Put about 2k on it since the new transmission. Each time, the dealer had the truck for about 2 weeks. Everything was under warranty.

Haven't notice the RPM thing, so I can't help you there.

Yes that's it!!!! Can't say that I really noticed the lurch while shifting though. The dealer originally thought I had a problem with the tires; either out of balance or a problem with "road force" - can't say I have very heard of that. Long story short they rebalanced everything and put a new tire on, took it for a test drive and they are still getting the same issue. They just called me and said they are going to keep the truck over night to do some checks on the torque converter as well as some more diagnostics.

I will keep everyone posted on the results.

Just today, I got the vibration/shake cured on my 2014 GMC Sierra 2WD Double Cab....Guess what..after 5 trips (160 miles round trip each trip!!) to my dealership and nicely begging for them to change tire brands from the original equipment Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's to Bridgestone TA's, they finally performed the GM tech bull@#$% advised steps....check runout on the hubs and turn the driveshaft 1/2 round...these showed no flaws and no improvement....Guess what was next? Getting the Goodyears off and installing a new set of Bridgestone AT"s and bingo...all problems solved!!!!!! The dealership and their service department were very persistent in finding my problem but had to follow the GM tech's plans....I'm not in the least disappointed in THEIR performance....BUT I am with GM...They know there is a problem with this Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tire and had to put me through all these trips (800 miles total)....and after asking my salesman and the sales manager to at least give the brand change on the tires a try...they did so probably at the dealership's expense! This is my 12th GM pickup to buy since 1989 and I will continue to buy a GM pickup, but if one is shipped with Goodyear tires in the future, I will not accept it! GM needs to put the finger on Goodyear and insist they replace these tires and not make a loyal customer like me to go through all the hassle (and mileage) to do what should've been done on the first or second trip....

As a side note, I have a friend that sells Goodyears (a large regional company) and he says they are having all kinds of problems with these SR-A's...thinks there is a problem with the mold and they are all "round", but all have side to side movement!! He thinks it will be a while, but fully expects a recall on these tires....

So, if you have Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's on your new 2014 GM truck and are experiencing a shake or vibration especially at 70-75 mph.....get them off and go to a different brand to cure your headaches.

The new Bridgestone TA's were load force balanced and the highest reading was 13 (3 were less than 8!)...40 is the max allowed and no noticeble side to side movement was noted during the tire spinning..

By reading this forum topic I gained ammuniton for the GM tech guru! Thanks skiguy213 (post #143)

Edited by gjk1932
  • Like 3