I wasn't offered cash buyout. I was only offered GM trade in assistance to make up for the equity lost from depreciation.

that is strange, very strange

sorry to hear it wasn't offered to you

did you go lemon law or just take their offer of trade in assistance because im sure you could have got a buy back if you pressed the issue through lemon law

by the way my comment wasn't aimed directly at you but in the general observations of so many people choosing replacement truck swaps rather then buy backs

Edited by keakar

I am about to close on my buy back, paperwork should be here tomorrow. I had 2600 miles on truck when I first took it in, there is 4000 on it now. GM gave me full MSRP, no mileage or depreciation charge. The new truck I picked just came off the car carrier a couple weeks ago, a 2014 still, no vibrations I could tell on the test drive. There was $1300 difference on the new one that I had to pay. They are trying to keep happy customers but it has been a long road of documentation, BBB and GM resolution center.

I am about to close on my buy back, paperwork should be here tomorrow. I had 2600 miles on truck when I first took it in, there is 4000 on it now. GM gave me full MSRP, no mileage or depreciation charge. The new truck I picked just came off the car carrier a couple weeks ago, a 2014 still, no vibrations I could tell on the test drive. There was $1300 difference on the new one that I had to pay. They are trying to keep happy customers but it has been a long road of documentation, BBB and GM resolution center.

What really worries me about going through the buy back to just get another 2014 is there was someone who said that the problem didn't start until 15k miles. I did not notice my issue until 1k miles and really dont want to go through all this to just get another 2014 that will have issues down the road.

that is strange, very strange

sorry to hear it wasn't offered to you

did you go lemon law or just take their offer of trade in assistance because im sure you could have got a buy back if you pressed the issue through lemon law

by the way my comment wasn't aimed directly at you but in the general observations of so many people choosing replacement truck swaps rather then buy backs

Should they or are they offering cash buybacks as opposed to just trade assist?

Im not siding with GM but I can understand their position. If they just gave people back their money or made it easy, it wouldn't be long they would be out of business. They play the odds just like any other business. They could say you must be hitting pot holes and knocking it out of balance. I cant tell how many times over the years I heard, wow this is the first time I heard of that.

Edited by KARNUT

What really worries me about going through the buy back to just get another 2014 is there was someone who said that the problem didn't start until 15k miles. I did not notice my issue until 1k miles and really dont want to go through all this to just get another 2014 that will have issues down the road.

Should they or are they offering cash buybacks as opposed to just trade assist?

it says right there on the BBB paperwork to choose if you want a buy back or exchanged for another new vehicle

it says right there on the BBB paperwork to choose if you want a buy back or exchanged for another new vehicle

I was offered mine straight from the DMA. I didn't do any paperwork or file a complaint with BBB. I was told "your a loyal GM customer and we can see that your not satisfied with the truck, go out and find a new truck and we will put X $'s toward the deal and do the paperwork". At the time I didn't think twice about it, I was just happy that they offered to help me get out of this truck. I hope the 2015 I ordered doesn't have any issues.

• Like 1

good luck and I hope you get a good one, the odds are in your favor that you will, but still one out of 5 has issues so I hope you get lucky

I wouldn't think twice about getting a new one if I knew it would be trouble free without issues, but at this point I see nothing to give me that impression and I wont gamble with the kind of money these things cost

• Like 1

I was thinking today, does everyone that has the vibration have the steel control arms? Wondering if anyone who has the aluminum arms has the vibe as well, this is the only thing I could think of that would differentiate the trucks as it doesn't seem to be limited to any particular truck configuration.

Last year I picked up an 07' 4th generation 4Runner and like I do on this forum, enjoy reading the posts and learning as much as I can about the vehicles I own.

There have been a few folks that own 4Runners, Tacoma's, and FJ Cruisers where the vehicles have developed a low speed shudder in the 30-40 mph range. The consensus is that it seems to be related to the torque converter and is most prevalent in vehicles in excess of 100,000 miles on the odometer.

Years ago, I had a 87' El Camino (700r4 transmission) which would shudder at about this same speed range. I finally narrowed it down to the torque converter lock-up at low speeds which caused the shudder. Back then, the lock-up on the torque converter disengaged with a simple depressing of the brake pedal as there was a simple solenoid in the transmission coupled to a spool valve. I installed a simple toggle switch under the dash to prevent the lock-up from ever engaging. It sure made the ride much nicer around town.

If I recall correctly, there were a few threads on this forum where the 2014 GM truck models had some issues with the torque converter. Wondering if there could possibly be a manufacturing defect in the GM torque converter or simply a bad design which is causing this vibration issue at highway speeds.

Edited by 97SierraSLT

So after filing with the BBB and sending the motor vehicle defect notice last week I got a call from someone in GM's resolution office that they are gathering info for my case and to schedule a final repair. Through conversation the gentlemen I was speaking to referred me to page 4 of the warranty booklet specifically the part that says "Repairs Covered, The warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect, not slight noise, vibrations, or other normal characteristics of the vehicle related to materials or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts." I could not believe this response from GM. They really are not trying to keep customers. They expect us to deal with this vibration and claim it is normal!! We will see what happends during the final repair.

So after filing with the BBB and sending the motor vehicle defect notice last week I got a call from someone in GM's resolution office that they are gathering info for my case and to schedule a final repair. Through conversation the gentlemen I was speaking to referred me to page 4 of the warranty booklet specifically the part that says "Repairs Covered, The warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect, not slight noise, vibrations, or other normal characteristics of the vehicle related to materials or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts." I could not believe this response from GM. They really are not trying to keep customers. They expect us to deal with this vibration and claim it is normal!! We will see what happends during the final repair.

Thats ****ing ridiculous. Irritates me just reading it.

I haven't felt anything in my truck yet. But I wanted to mention about Honda (at least in the Odyssey vans) have some vibrations issues too, and it seems to be related to the transmission and torque converter. Our 2011 van was experiencing some shuddering when shifting and also vibrations/shakes at highway speeds, you could feel it and the steering wheel was wobbling back and forth too. I think some owners may have had their torque converters replaced, but the main fix was a software upgrade for the transmission control module. After they updated our van's software, it was shifting smooth again and nearly all of the vibration at highway speeds was gone. This was over a year ago and it's still vibration free.

I see that some of you on here are also speculating it's related to the transmission/torque converter, maybe GM can further investigate it and come up with a software update? If you're dealing with any of the GM engineers, ask them about it.

Edited by stevev