Has any of the nine owners tried having the tires trued and balanced on the truck(they could also tell you if wheels are bent or tire tread not running true) AND drive shaft/u-joints/shims checked by a good independent drive shaft shop? I would be well beyond the dealership for solutions based on the lack of GMs ability to solve this.

I have not taken the truck to any place other than the dealer. They balanced the 18's and swapped tires and rims for 17's. That didnt fix it. I don't intend to spend money at a tire shop that is GM's responsibility to fix in the first place. I really don't think it's a tire balance issue anyway. I did however drive a crew cab and it doesn't have the vibration problem that my extended cab does. That makes me think it's more of a drivetrain issue even though they have already swapped the driveshaft. maybe differential or torque converter. Still waiting to hear the next move.

Me and a coworker just picked up 2 new 2014 z71 LT's with the 18" wheels. While test driving his, the dealer mentioned the vibration was spots in the tires from sitting and wood go away quickly. I picked mine up today and it also has this vibration. This is very annoying for a new truck. Did a quick search and found this topic. Obviously not "flat spots" .

AUfan,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new vehicle! Just wanted to let you know that GM Customer Care is here on the forum and happy to assist with any general questions or concerns you may have about GM products. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

Double Cab driver here with 2000 miles (company truck). It's a 2wd with 3.08 gears. It has a slight vibration around 70 mph. Nothing severe but it's there. I assumed it was a tire balance problem. Now I am not sure after reading these posts.

Curious part is, I had a 2006 GMC regular cab short bed company truck before this one, had the same problem during the entire 150,000 miles I drove it. No matter the tires.

I guess I'm used to it.

I have not taken the truck to any place other than the dealer. They balanced the 18's and swapped tires and rims for 17's. That didnt fix it. I don't intend to spend money at a tire shop that is GM's responsibility to fix in the first place. I really don't think it's a tire balance issue anyway. I did however drive a crew cab and it doesn't have the vibration problem that my extended cab does. That makes me think it's more of a drivetrain issue even though they have already swapped the driveshaft. maybe differential or torque converter. Still waiting to hear the next move.

I understand but based on all the comments GM and Dealer cannot fix. That is why I would look beyond the dealer for a check up/fix. Most dealerships are not skilled at tire/wheel issues. the same with drive shafts etc. Just a suggestion. good luck.

So is there anyone out there with this issue that has the 3.42 rear end? I see that there are those with the 3.08 having issues. Just curious.

As stated earlier, I have the 3.42's over 4k miles and no issue.

Could very well be a differential gear tolerance issue (shims). Just a thought.

Mike

I notice it at 60-75mph in the steering wheel

My vibration is not in the steering wheel. It feels more like it's in the rear end or rear tires.

If it's in the steering wheel, I would think it's more likely a front tire that is not balanced. Front wheel/tire vibrations typically are felt in the steering wheel.

Up date, I went to the dealer to see what's the story with my truck because it has been there for a month now and like I posted on my last post they were going to change the drive shaft for a new and improved one which they did and as I thought that did nothing. Now they are saying it's the Diferencial. They order a new Diferencial which is in back order. This has got me so pissed off you guys have no idea. I filed a complaint with the Texas department of transportation under the lemon Law. I feel that this trucks are lemons and gm is not going to figure it out so I want out of this truck I refuse to pay so much money for something I am not even enjoying. If this truck is not fixed soon I am fighting this out. Gm you guys are letting me down

jcr3,

I understand that you are frustrated with your vehicle's current situation. Is there anything I can assist you with? We work closely with your local dealerships where we have establish a relationship with each dealership and I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

Update: well I picked up my truck on Thursday they changed the Diferencial on it. I don't know what gears it has but anyways I took it for a test drive and I no longer fell the vibration on the steering wheel. Now it's different it hard to explain but it it's feels the rear tires are unbalanced it has like a bounce to the rear end that I can feel in the driver seat and I can see it on the passenger seat. It almost feels like the road is rough and it starts doing it around 67mph I told the service guy and said I could be the frame flexing or road conditions and stated that they really don't know what else to do to it but that if I was still uncomfortable with it to take it back and they would see what else they can do to it. Well I took the truck anyways and yea it even dose that bounce thing on new roads I don't know wtf anymore or how to prove its the truck because they are saying it's road conditions.

• Like 1

Update: well I picked up my truck on Thursday they changed the Diferencial on it. I don't know what gears it has but anyways I took it for a test drive and I no longer fell the vibration on the steering wheel. Now it's different it hard to explain but it it's feels the rear tires are unbalanced it has like a bounce to the rear end that I can feel in the driver seat and I can see it on the passenger seat. It almost feels like the road is rough and it starts doing it around 67mph I told the service guy and said I could be the frame flexing or road conditions and stated that they really don't know what else to do to it but that if I was still uncomfortable with it to take it back and they would see what else they can do to it. Well I took the truck anyways and yea it even dose that bounce thing on new roads I don't know wtf anymore or how to prove its the truck because they are saying it's road conditions.

Just take it to a good tire shop and have them jack up the rear and run the tires at 30 or so and they can tell if tires have straight tread and if far out of round. Hopefully you can find a shop that can then high speed balance on the truck. Trueing would help more too but hard to find.

If you cannot find such go to discount tire or other good shop that does road force balance and have them check the balance. If out pay for a balance. tell them to rotate the tires on the wheel 180 if too much weight required.

Trust me, most dealers have little experience properly balancing a tire. If you get a good balance and the tires are not way out of round and still have problems, THEN go back to dealer.