You really left yourself open to the fanboys here, they will be along shortly to offer you a hari-kari option for buying a Ford . Fortunately my Silverado has been perfect but I drove a 1999 F150 (with aluminum hood! egads! ) for 18 years and couldn't kill it. I have nothing derogatory to say about my GM truck or the Ford F!50, both have some issues. GM was dealing when I bought and Ford was not and GM had what I was looking for. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

Lets get the thread back on topic..

Purchased a new 15 Silverado CC two years ago. Noticed in the first few drives that there was a vibration on back roads at ~38-43 mph. Nothing bad, just an underlying hop/wobble, like an unbalanced wheel. Called dealer and was told... flat spots on tires. Searched online for vibrations in Chevy truck and found this forum. Been following ever since. Noted the issues others were having at higher speeds. Mine did not do that...at first.

Drove this truck for two years. Out on the highway one day with wife/kids and console started shaking at 77-80 mph. For the record, my truck drove good until the 28k mile mark. Towed my boat the following weekend and was sure to get it up to 80 mph to see if loading down the bed/pinion angle had any effect. It did, but not enough to get rid of the shakes. Subsequent trips on the highway yielded inconsistent results, some days good, some days not so good. Never really bad enough for me to consider bringing it to a dealer for service, especially since I've been reading this thread all along and no one has the magic bullet. Didn't want to do the dance.. was worried they would make it worse. One afternoon, driving home at 40 mph, it literally was vibrating on a freshly paved road. It was all I could think about and drove me nuts. It was time to move on..

Purchased a Ford F150 CC. Love it. I did not realize how bad the Chevy had gotten until I drove the F150. Driving the same roads is like night and day. Took a bit of a wash on the Chevy but its worth every penny. I truly enjoy driving again. I believe that the engineers at GM know what the issue is but it must be an expensive fix or something that would affect the safety ratings/qualifications for this platform. After living through this, I firmly believe that this is a resonance in the truck that is not being damped properly. Rotating parts/ road variations just excite the system and the result is oscillations. If they had a quick fix, the 16's and 17's would have been fixed and some very pointed TSBs would have been issued for the 14's/15's. All I hear is crickets from GM. And all you pissed off customers.

Other observations:

- I also had the V4 to V8 shudder, that is another problem entirely and can be "fixed" by driving in M5.

- Had the V4 to V8 squeak.. that can also be fixed by the M5 to keep it in V8.

- My drivers side seat would shift on me every now and again.. like the frame was broken.

- The 5.0L V8 is much better than the 5.3L V4/V8, in my opinion. More HP, better acceleration and more responsive.

- Ford 6-speed shifts smoother and drives nicer, especially when decelerating (to about 15-20 mph) and then accelerating back to 40mph, like in normal everyday traffic. The Chevy had a lag that drove me crazy. Had the same lag when going up a hill and needing to gas it. Unresponsive throttle. If you mash the gas pedal down, there is a very hard downshift

- Speaking of, had random hard downshifts on the Chevy if I didn't brake on deceleration, like when coasting.

- Ford has much better handling on corners, the steering is a bit more aggressive

- Both had paint scratches and dings within the first week. I'd rather an aluminum body that scratches easily than a $50k massage.

- Who is Chevy kidding with these commercials?! Who the f__k would dump pavers into the bed of a truck from a forklift? Or lift your toolbox up OVER the side of the bed? Usually, toolboxes have heavy things inside, like tools! My balls would be rolling down my pant leg if I tried to lift my toolbox up and over..

- Never been a Ford or Chevy guy, but after this, can't see myself buying GM again.

Sorry to bag out of this one, I know it would only help the others with issues if I did log the problems (strength in numbers).. but I don't feel like it would get me anywhere. I'm part of the silent majority... I'm guessing others will eventually develop issues with their trucks. Time will tell. I used to think I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have it.. but here I am. The fix for me was to go back to Ford and I'm happy I did. GM can choke on a bag of muddy you know whats! I never logged a problem, signed anything.. and am free to talk about this. If you have a choice and are looking at new used, I would not recommend Chevy/GMC.

Good luck to those with the vibration problems. I really hope GM figures it out for your sake. Its a nice truck otherwise. It was a shame to dump out so soon on a newer truck but it was the right call. Go get a Ford, Dodge or Toyota. Pick your poison wisely! They all have issues.. its just the lesser of four uglies..

Well put! The slumping truck sales will do all the talking.
  • Like 1

Well put! The slumping truck sales will do all the talking.

Sir Dan! I recommend this for your FERD straight from the Moderators mouth on Ford-trucks.com! Best of luck bud!

Ecoboost is their topic........But of course your going 5.0....same crap!

Beechkid

Agree with above......................

These (IMHO) are also soon to be the newest "Disposible engine" because the troubleshooting &/or repairs will exceed the value of the vehicle real fast!

And it’s been showing for a long, long, time………..

F150 Ecoboost Problems

Edited by mookdoc6

Sir Dan! I recommend this for your FERD straight from the Moderators mouth on Ford-trucks.com! Best of luck bud!

Ecoboost is their topic........But of course your going 5.0....same crap!

Off topic, but are you suggesting that the naturally aspirated, port injected veteran 'Coyote' 5.0L V8 is suffering from the same issues as the turbocharged directed injected Ecoboosts? If I had a choice I'd swap out my 5.3 Ecotec for the reliability and reputation of the Coyote in a second (even if for no other reason than alleviating the carbon buildup issues plaguing direct injected motors).

Edited by jono20

Off topic, but are you suggesting that the naturally aspirated, port injected veteran 'Coyote' 5.0L V8 is suffering from the same issues as the turbocharged directed injected Ecoboosts? If I had a choice I'd swap out my 5.3 Ecotec for the reliability and reputation of the Coyote in a second (even if for no other reason than alleviating the carbon buildup issues plaguing direct injected motors).

No....Not at all! Just implying that like almost every FERD guy out there, who either got ripped off on an ecoboost or now "I am GETTING THE 5.0 engine" I am just saying it's mildly better than the ecoboost.........It's still crap, honestly..

If I had a choice I'd swap out my 5.3 Ecotec for the reliability and reputation of the Coyote in a second

Start that thread, Now and that is the most preposterous thing ever. I would like to hear the peanut gallery on that one.

Would you swap your 5.3 for FERDS 5.0? This L83 and L86 are F'N rock, bro...sealed tight!

The issue isn't them joining an F-150 forum, they typically do. But as soon as they let everyone know that they couldn't stand the vibration any longer and opted out Mook will get back up on his soap box and let them know what a horrible mistake they made lol You tell'em Mook !!!!

But those of us that have opted out can't stop watching this train wreck of a thread. I'm on my third new vehicle since I opted out and if it were not for this issue those three all would have been GM vehicles. But I will never buy GM again.

• Like 1

The issue isn't them joining an F-150 forum, they typically do. But as soon as they let everyone know that they couldn't stand the vibration any longer and opted out Mook will get back up on his soap box and let them know what a horrible mistake they made lol You tell'em Mook !!!!

But those of us that have opted out can't stop watching this train wreck of a thread. I'm on my third new vehicle since I opted out and if it were not for this issue those three all would have been GM vehicles. But I will never buy GM again.

Wow...3rd new vehicle! But keep coming back to a GM owners website? Keep spending those dollars...sailor!

• Like 2

Point well made C6Bill. These forums are priceless. Train-wreck is an understatement....

Edited by 97SierraSLT
  • Like 2

Wow...3rd new vehicle! But keep coming back to a GM owners website? Keep spending those dollars...sailor!

Absolutely, I'd spend more time on the Toyota forum but there is nothing to talk about. They don't vibrate LOL

And as far as spending money, I have issues but money isn't one of them ;)

• Like 3

Absolutely, I'd spend more time on the Toyota forum but there is nothing to talk about. They don't vibrate LOL

And as far as spending money, I have issues but money isn't one of them ;)

After owning a 97' K1500 for sixteen miserable years and wanting to purchase something newer and more reliable, I joined many forums to do my research. Ended up purchasing an 07' Toyota 4Runner. Now, instead of spending most weekends working on the GM trying to diagnose check engine light issues or determining where another fluid leak is coming from, I enjoy life and take weekend road trips. I can't tell you how nice it is to just put gas in and go. Sure is nice now owning a vehicle that doesn't need a warranty because it is so bullet-proof and built to last.

The only talk on the Toyota forums are how folks do their casual weekend mods by installing lift kits/customizing or taking their 4Runners on off-road expeditions exploring the country.

• Like 5

..... hear that? That's the alarm...

Time to wake up from your Toy, Ford dreams... they all have some issues .. forums just highlight them .. btw how's the downshifting on the Tundra ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1