LED Under Rail Bed Lighting

Ok. I read through this thread and not sure if I am missing something. My truck has the factory led lights that are turned on/off with cargo light. I don't want to add more light. I'd simply like to add an addition switch to the existing lights in the bed. The new switch would go under the rail right near the tailgate. Is this possible? I am not overly concerned about water as I have a fairly water tight cover.

Yes it is very easily possible. All you need to do is go and go and run a power line from a constant source such as the battery or other live wire and then run the lights to either just your switch or you could also run a 3 way switch (this is what I plan to do eventually) and run ur lights to both ur cab switch and ur switch that is in the bed. Both options are easy. With of course one being slightly more intricate than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big improvement upgrading the LED bulbs from the OEM ones to 921's? I have the under rail lighting as a standard SLT package.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Which ones are you speaking of upgrading? The under rail lights are already LEDs. The only other bed lights are the cargo lights and I changed those out on my truck and believe that it is very much worth changing them out

Ok. I read through this thread and not sure if I am missing something. My truck has the factory led lights that are turned on/off with cargo light. I don't want to add more light. I'd simply like to add an addition switch to the existing lights in the bed. The new switch would go under the rail right near the tailgate. Is this possible? I am not overly concerned about water as I have a fairly water tight cover.

You can't have two (+) sources going to the light without installing a diode to protect the factory (+) from cross-feeding. Using a "3-way" switch (SPDT) in the bed would be the better choice.

For anyone who is looking to add some under rail lighting, or to be more specific, who already has the kit in their truck from factory and is looking to add a second kit. I just got my kit in today and noticed that the color of the LEDs on the second kit, which is a certified GM OEM part and should match exactly what is already in my truck, is slightly different. The colors are not exactly the same as shown here

yvy9yjyq.jpg

That's weird, the second set that I got perfectly matches the old one! I wired mine differently though, mine were spliced and soldered.

What kind of bed liner and cover do you have?

Oh OK, the cargo light (above then rear window) are worth the 921LED bulb swap? Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

YES! the LED is much brighter! plus it looks nicer.

For anyone who is looking to add some under rail lighting, or to be more specific, who already has the kit in their truck from factory and is looking to add a second kit. I just got my kit in today and noticed that the color of the LEDs on the second kit, which is a certified GM OEM part and should match exactly what is already in my truck, is slightly different. The colors are not exactly the same as shown here

That's weird, the second set that I got perfectly matches the old one! I wired mine differently though, mine were spliced and soldered.

Oh OK, the cargo light (above then rear window) are worth the 921LED bulb swap? Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Yes that's what I meant. It's basically a toss up. Eventually I may try another kit but for now imma just ignore my OCD about it. If I can haha. And I have the BAK Roll-X tonneau cover, I love it. And I have a Bedrug as the liner, again, wouldn't change a thing about it. I really like it.

Oh OK, the cargo light (above then rear window) are worth the 921LED bulb swap?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Yes it can make a very large difference! Depending on which light you get though. Some may not be as bright as stock in the new GM housings that use diffusers. It's most noticeable on the reverse lights but still, to me, noticeable on any light with these new lenses. There's a thread about the cargo lights being switched here http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/153101-LED-921-Reverse-%26-Cargo-Bulbs/page__view__findpost__p__1432845

Yes that's what I meant. It's basically a toss up. Eventually I may try another kit but for now imma just ignore my OCD about it. If I can haha. And I have the BAK Roll-X tonneau cover, I love it. And I have a Bedrug as the liner, again, wouldn't change a thing about it. I really like it.

I was kinda between the Roll-X with Bak Box or the G4 Elite with the personal caddy, but I went with the G4 and personal caddy, I also added a LED strip inside the caddy that lights with the rest of the cargo lights. I love it so far! And I have Line-X bed liner, pretty tough liner!

Glad you like yours!

I was kinda between the Roll-X with Bak Box or the G4 Elite with the personal caddy, but I went with the G4 and personal caddy, I also added a LED strip inside the caddy that lights with the rest of the cargo lights. I love it so far! And I have Line-X bed liner, pretty tough liner!

Glad you like yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you like yours!

Glad you like yours!

How do you like the caddy? I'm looking at the same cover and thought the caddy would be nice also. Can you reach into good standing on the the ground?

How do you like the caddy? I'm looking at the same cover and thought the caddy would be nice also. Can you reach into good standing on the the ground?

The caddy is such a nice option, I like it! You'll need a bed step to fully reach into the caddy, especially when your truck is lifted, that's common with all the tool boxes.

You're free to take a look at mine if you live close to Rolla.

Edited by YQatari

The caddy is such a nice option, I like it! You'll need a bed step to fully reach into the caddy, especially when you're truck is lifted, that's common with all the tool boxes.

You're free to take a look at mine if you live close to Rolla.

Thanks, mine is not lifted. I'm over in Ste. Genevieve, its south of St. Louis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spliced two kits together, and all 4 are the same intensity and color. Must be a manufacturing variation.

I spliced two kits together, and all 4 are the same intensity and color. Must be a manufacturing variation.

White LED's are the hardest color to match. It depends on the LED being harvested from the crystals grown. The o es closest to the center are more intense and brighter while the ones closer the the edge loose the intensity. While the service life shouldn't be affected, the color will change.

• Like 1