LED Under Rail Bed Lighting

• 3 weeks later...

I will be posting a plug left over from my second set in the for sale forum. I purchased 2 set and don't need the second plug. It has a couple feet of wire so you can wire up some custom lights and utilize the switch inside the cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a heads up:

The junction box comes with a cover for the plug that these plug into. So I made my own plug out of the cover with a couple parts from other plugs i had laying around and sealed it with silicone. It works perfect and actually is weatherproof since the cover has all the gaskets and such installed.

20140713_133803_zpsso5pjxrh.jpg

Not the prettiest thing but it works just fine.

20140713_133810_zpszypgorek.jpg

I drilled our the two holes that i needed to use for the wires. Note that the black is the ground terminal and the blue is the positive. These are the only two used for the plug.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to do this without having the factory plug in hand.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up some GM bed lighting (23145347) - one set to put in back of my pickup. I was surprise the lights are all plastic which I thought it would be some metal to it. They were made in Mexico. No instruction came in the package so I am glad there are directions in this topic. I am not going crazy and just put them in the proper way. I picked up my through Shopchevyparts.com for $106.83 (total) shipped to the door. A lot better than the dealer at $135 plus CT tax $143.57 = $36.74 savings.

I installed my bed lights on Friday and checked them out in the dark garage. It appears to be enough lighting with the cargo light and two under the bed lighting. I don't see a need to add any more lights to the bed.

SPST w/ Diode vs SPDT "3-way" switch wiring methods.

*Note: called out a 5 amp diode, but bed lights are so low draw, you could use a 2 or 3 amp diode.

Thanks for this. Going to be installing a 3 way switch in my bed so I can turn them on without going to the cab.

At least my second set ordered today off ebay. Prices are solid at 99 bucks shipped now.

I installed my bed lights on Friday and checked them out in the dark garage. It appears to be enough lighting with the cargo light and two under the bed lighting. I don't see a need to add any more lights to the bed.

If you have a tonneau cover, the extra two in the foward part of the bed really enhance the lighting. If you do not have a tonneau, then the two in the back are more than sufficient along with the cargo lamp on the back of the cab.

• Like 1

My kit is going in today! (factory kit). I may add two more up in front of the bed as Prdtrgttr did if I want more light once the first set is in.

The second set helps a lot! Especially if you have a tonneau.

• Like 1

If you have a tonneau cover, the extra two in the foward part of the bed really enhance the lighting. If you do not have a tonneau, then the two in the back are more than sufficient along with the cargo lamp on the back of the cab.

I have the Fold-A-Cover tonneau. I suspect once I get the first two in, I'll want two more...

Edited by Nickshu
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, fellas, I've hit a road block, and I need some help. I've got a 2014 Chevy Silverado 2 wd, very basic truck. I've got a camper shell on it, made by the fine folks over at LEER, and that's where I keep the dogs when the family travels. We often end up traveling at night, so I want some sort of light inside the camper shell, that I can turn on from inside the cab as we're traveling, glance in the rearview to check on the dogs, and turn it off again so I can see out the back window.

The logical thing is to plug the lights into the rear bus, in the same 'up' socket where these under-rail LEDs would plug in. So, this should be simple, right? :banghead: Not so much. After hours and hours of research, I've come up with the following. According to a GMUpfitter.com bulletin, the part number for the plug that I need is GM 13581768. They also go on to say it cross references with Tyco Electronics part number 2109441-2. But, herein lies the rub... I have yet to find anywhere that I can buy less than 1,000 of them. At $5 each, that would be a steal... except that I only need ONE.

Anybody got any ideas? I'd be forever in your debt.

Oh, yeah, the belletin is at the link, if anyone wants to see it. Shows the pin-outs for all of the connections in the X63 junction box, which might come in handy. http://gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/510/UI%20Bulletin_113.pdf

Alright, fellas, I've hit a road block, and I need some help. I've got a 2014 Chevy Silverado 2 wd, very basic truck. I've got a camper shell on it, made by the fine folks over at LEER, and that's where I keep the dogs when the family travels. We often end up traveling at night, so I want some sort of light inside the camper shell, that I can turn on from inside the cab as we're traveling, glance in the rearview to check on the dogs, and turn it off again so I can see out the back window.

The logical thing is to plug the lights into the rear bus, in the same 'up' socket where these under-rail LEDs would plug in. So, this should be simple, right? :banghead: Not so much. After hours and hours of research, I've come up with the following. According to a GMUpfitter.com bulletin, the part number for the plug that I need is GM 13581768. They also go on to say it cross references with Tyco Electronics part number 2109441-2. But, herein lies the rub... I have yet to find anywhere that I can buy less than 1,000 of them. At $5 each, that would be a steal... except that I only need ONE.

Anybody got any ideas? I'd be forever in your debt.

Oh, yeah, the belletin is at the link, if anyone wants to see it. Shows the pin-outs for all of the connections in the X63 junction box, which might come in handy. http://gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/510/UI%20Bulletin_113.pdf

You do know that the bed rail lights can only be turned on when the vehicle is in neutral or in park, while driving the lights cannot be activated.

You do know that the bed rail lights can only be turned on when the vehicle is in neutral or in park, while driving the lights cannot be activated.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:smoker::M16: I don't know HOW many hours of research I've done... and never came across that little nugget of information. Well, at least you saved me a few $$'s and a couple hours of installation. Boy, would I have been mad. Thanks. Back to the drawing board.

Yea I don't think anyone really mentions that info other than people who try to use the switch while driving!

Also, just a suggestion, if I were you, I would put in a small dimmable light under the rail on either side, that way the dogs have a constant light to see easily, and then attatch a slightly stronger overhead light that could be turned on and off from the cab.

Also you don't have the center console do you? If you do, then I have a great spot to hide a switch for the lights!