First Oil Change

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't the new 5.3L hold 8 quarts now? If so oil changes on these new engines are going to be expensive. So if you take it somewhere to have the oil change we are problably looking at 100+ oil change now

8.5 quarts. I believe that 9 quarts and an oil filter cost me a bit over $80.

Doesn't the new 5.3L hold 8 quarts now? If so oil changes on these new engines are going to be expensive. So if you take it somewhere to have the oil change we are problably looking at 100+ oil change now

I would never pay that for an oil change unless I had no where to change it myself. Doing an oil change is the simplest thing you could ever do to a vehicle along with a brake job ;)

The fact that its half a quart is about as ridiculous as it gets. Either have it hold 8 or 9. Epic fail. Already sucks to have to buy more oil, not to mention a completely new blend. Hate this thin crap they are pushing now. I remember when folks thought that 5W30 was considered thin compared to the 10W40 most ran in the Chevy 350s in South GA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would never pay that for an oil change unless I had no where to change it myself. Doing an oil change is the simplest thing you could ever do to a vehicle along with a brake job ;)

Agreed. It's gonna be expensive to do iol changes on our own with these trucks. 8.5 qts plus a newer more expensive oil, and a filter.

The fact that its half a quart is about as ridiculous as it gets. Either have it hold 8 or 9. Epic fail. Already sucks to have to buy more oil, not to mention a completely new blend. Hate this thin crap they are pushing now. I remember when folks thought that 5W30 was considered thin compared to the 10W40 most ran in the Chevy 350s in South GA. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Umm, 8.5 US quarts is almost exactly 8 liters. Liters being the standard in the entire rest of the world.

Man, you guys bitch about anything and everything… Nothing wrong with thin oil, as the 2014 engine tolerances are designed for it. You think these GM engineers pull this stuff out of thin air? Yet some people will insist their old uncle used to run nothing but 15/40 in his old 1978 Chevy 350 and it's the best. Go ahead.. have at it!

As for the amount, costs, etc… Look at it this way… you can go 3 times longer without an oil change. These new oils are soooo much better when compared to oil in the past. In my case… oil change only needed once a year. Plus GM is paying for it for the first 2 years.. What’s the problem?

Our 2004 Envoy took 7 quarts for an oil change and the stupid filter was mounted right above the front sway bar. That was a serious pain. On the plus side, I could go 12,000 miles on Mobil 1 and still have a great used oil analysis report. That much oil really helps extend its life. Just watch for deals on the five quart jugs. You can find Mobil 1 (Mobile is a city in Alabama), Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, etc all for a good price with occasional rebates. Changing oil at 3,000 miles is wasteful and unnecessary and really provides no benefit other than giving oil companies more of your money.

• 1 month later...

Archived