First Oil Change

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never pay that for an oil change unless I had no where to change it myself. Doing an oil change is the simplest thing you could ever do to a vehicle along with a brake job ;)

Problem is a $10 filer, and oil at $4 a quart equals probably close $50 in supplies after tax, add in driving to pick up and having to dispose of the oil, oil changes are not cheap anymore regardless.

This is my response to another thread about initial oil changes:

I've heard everything, it seems, on the first oil change for new cars these days. Some still say to change it after 500 or 1,000 miles, which is a complete waste to me. Other say around 3,000. Some say simply change it when the OLM says it's time. Also heard that some manufacturers recommend leaving the oil in until the OLM says, due to the break-in oil having certain additives for a new engine and to get the full benefit of such. I don't know what is the right or wrong answer, but up until the OLMs came to be, I changed every 3-4,000 regardless. Now, I go by the OLM on all my vehicles, including for the first oil change. Seems to work well without the unnecessary oil changes. To each his own and whatever makes you comfortable is probably the best advice.

I don't care how many miles GM says the oil can last. I say change it 4k or before.

Its not just Gm do a little research. Oil changes at the 3-4k part is one of the biggest fallacies/scams still going in the auto maint world, Even big three dealers and states are telling people to wait till at least 5k. Theres actually evidence showing that changing the oil to soon is bad for an engine due to not allowing the engine to fully break in oil and run with it. research it yourself, but getting oil changed at 3-4k your wasting your own money and time. Engines and oils are not what they were 20-30 years ago.

exactly.. people are still programmed to do 3K or a variety of reason. Either because their old uncle Bob always did in his 1974 Pontiac .. or the oil change companies.

with the new synthetics and oil filters today... 10K per change easy. I would do the first one at no more than 5K... after 10K after that.

My oil was fine at 5800 miles and the experts told me to run to 7500 on this change. I'll get another analysis done then. Since my truck burns no oil I'm not afraid to run it for a long time. As far as a new truck though, I don't think you could screw anything up by changing it sooner than later.

exactly.. people are still programmed to do 3K or a variety of reason. Either because their old uncle Bob always did in his 1974 Pontiac .. or the oil change companies.

with the new synthetics and oil filters today... 10K per change easy. I would do the first one at no more than 5K... after 10K after that.

You do that. The GM 3.6 has had all kinds of issues the last few years. Most of the problem stems from oil change interval. The oil may not break down as fast, but is still gets dirty and gets moisture in it.

You do that. The GM 3.6 has had all kinds of issues the last few years. Most of the problem stems from oil change interval. The oil may not break down as fast, but is still gets dirty and gets moisture in it.

Do you have data to support this and what were the intervals, was it more than say 7500miles or was it 3500 miles. If you truely are worried about your current engine and its oil find a lab and they can tell you exactly when your oil is due or close to it. The money you spent on the testing would be paid back expoentially in time after learning when you should change your oil. I am sure there are odd ball examples of something going haywire but any sort of evidence or research will show you 3000mi oil changes are absurb unless your towing all the time or in crazy harsh conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you guys on the longer intervals now with much better oil being available now. But you still have a brand new engine that`s being broken in. A brand new engine has tight tolerances on the rings, valvetrain, bearings, etc. While these break in and everything rounds out, you will have more metal in your then normal, this is why some people change thier first oil at 1000 miles. It`s actually not a bad idea to do and I`ve heard from more than a few people now that an early oil change is very important to the overall longevity of the motor. I already talked to my dealer and they have agreed to do an early oil change at my request (1500km) as this was part of my pre buying agreement.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived