First Oil Change

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a magnet on your oil filter on a brand new 2014 GM truck with whatever engine in it and take a look at the inside of the filter in the first 1000 miles. Metal shavings are a myth...... really, you honestly think that. None of you guys saying this stuff have had an engine apart obviously especially something relatively new. Yes they are built better than 50 years ago. Roller cams, roller rockers, coated pistons made from better material allowing tighter piston to wall, etc. That said they still get metal particulate in the oil that is far more pronounced in the first few hundred miles of an engines life. Its how a ring gets a seal in a cylinder... it seats itself against the cylinder wall. This will put metal in the oil no matter how you look at it. Wall finish is better..... torque plate honing helps ensure a straighter bore with the head torqued on.... but it's still a ring seal. Engines will naturally have metal in the oil throughout the life of them but it is a greatly reduced amount than initial break in. Now it is true it is less as you don't have a set of lifters breaking in on cam lobes like a flat tappet engine but still.

Until they make rings out of something other than metal you will get metal in the oil when they seat. It's life.

The only thing I agree on is intervals. I do once a year on a lower mile use stuff or every 15000 miles on my other truck. Oil comes out still decent looking with a good healthy analysis. Changing it more often however is by no means detrimental, just un-necessary.

I know this is an old thread, but I feel the need to add something here. I have a 2013 Chevy Camaro 2SS with the 1LE track pack. While I have never seen metal particles in the engine oil, I changed my differential fluid at 5k and DID find some metal shavings in it. After taking it to VIR for an HPDE event in April of 2014, I changed the diff fluid again at 7800 miles (because the owners manual suggests changing the engine oil AND diff fluid after every track event) and found no more metal.

So, while the engine probably doesn't produce any metal shavings during the break in process, the diff sure as hell does. I am now at 11,000 on my camaro and have changed the diff fluid 3 times. The only time I found metal shavings was the first time.

So, I do plan to change out my 2014 Silverado's front and rear diff fluid at 5k just to be safe. New diff fluid is cheap insurance. And, even though I have a warrantee on my new truck... I really don't want their service department working on my truck. I am funny like that.

Archived