2014 Toppers, Caps, Campers

If anyone comes across a pic of the k2xx with a topper please post it here. I just can't seem to visualize what it's going to look like. I'm thinking it will take a few months to come out unless its the same topper as 07-13??

I'm thinking the 07-13 will fit, not 100% sure though. Thought I read the bed interior and dimensions are the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone had put a CAP on a 2014 yet and if so, what brand did you go with and do you have pics? I'm looking at either an ARE or a Jason. I had an ARE on my last truck (RAM 1500), liked it except for how it handled the tailgate. Was just going to go with a Jason for that reason but can't find pics of how Jason looks on one. ARE has pics on their website of a 2014 with a cap and what I don't like is how the glass comes straight down and they have a lip over the tailgate; this causes water to drip down unless you seal it like I had to do on my previous truck. Would love to find one where the glass comes down at the outside edge of the tailgate instead of the inside but don't know if such as thing exists.

I have a paint matched ARE Outlander sitting here waiting to go on my truck. I have been 5 weeks and waiting on truck to arrive. The topper will be installed with Bed Rug day it arrives. I'll take some pictures and let you know my thoughts. I am ARE fan for many reasons but both your picks should be safe,

Thanks for your comments, but given the lack of response so far I just ended up ordering the Jason. I had the ARE on my RAM and most reviews put it at the top but I had some minor issues with it. Partially it was the shape of the tailgate spoiler on the RAM and the way ARE handled that and a couple things around the windows were a little meh. I almost went with them again, so you can tell the issues were minor, but ultimately went with the Jason partially because I liked the dealer more. I've ordered the cap and it hasn't come in yet, but once it does I'll post pics. I have the bed rug sitting in my garage, I'll put it in right before the cap so I'm not driving around with the rug uncovered. I had the bed rug in my last truck and it was rock solid, but it does take a little while for it to dry out if I pressured washed it so no cover = no rug for now.

Edited by OkieDavid

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm on the fence between a camper top and a Tonneau Cover. I can find numerous sites that claim improved fuel economy for the Tonneau but non of the camper top sites mention the same. I think someone earlier called their truck a "mall hauler" and for the most part that is what mine will be. I am a BSA scout master and once a month we are traveling to a campsite, so storage of gear is always a concern and a camper shell would truly give me the best option to fill that need. I'm worried though that I will see a decrease in mileage with the top.... Those of you that have or had shells in the past what has been your experience? I'm leaning towards a LEER with a set of rails on top to put the Kayaks on.

I have a Jason Camper Top and on my last truck I had an ARE, both some comparable in quality. I definitely did not see a reduction in gas mileage when I upgraded from the Tonneau cover to the shell on the old truck so if the Tonneau helped the shell helped the same (cab level, nothing sticking up). On the new truck I went immediately to the shell and didn't spend a year with the Tonneau so can't really speak the mileage difference on the 2014's. Here's pics if you're interested: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/gallery/album/2392-jason-shell/

I'm really happy with the shell, especially since I've paired with a bed rug and carpet in the shell. There have been a couple of times I missed my removable tonneau for hauling bigger items, but as someone who backpacks and kayaks, the shell is great. Technically the shell is removable but that's a pain in the but so I've never taken it off.

Man that looks sweet. I've never heard of Jason Shell so I'm going to go and check them out. ARE was the other model I was looking at. I too have the same question as to how the rear window is going to meet up with the tailgate... Thanks for the info and the pictures. We Kayak and Hike Beavers Bend a couple of times a year, and it looks like Philmont just got on the agenda list for this summer so I need to get moving on this.

I prefer the tonneau for appearances but they each have their trade off's when it comes to functionality. The tonneau gives me unlimited height restriction IF I'm willing to subject it to the elements however, the camper top of course is going to give you more of a 'van' or large suv type of hauling capability however, you can always take it off then you've got room to spare. For me the tonneau works best and I prefered it's cost and looks but, I like the function of a camper top too I mostly didn't consider one based on cost.

I have a Jason Camper Top and on my last truck I had an ARE, both some comparable in quality. I definitely did not see a reduction in gas mileage when I upgraded from the Tonneau cover to the shell on the old truck so if the Tonneau helped the shell helped the same (cab level, nothing sticking up). On the new truck I went immediately to the shell and didn't spend a year with the Tonneau so can't really speak the mileage difference on the 2014's. Here's pics if you're interested: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/gallery/album/2392-jason-shell/

I'm really happy with the shell, especially since I've paired with a bed rug and carpet in the shell. There have been a couple of times I missed my removable tonneau for hauling bigger items, but as someone who backpacks and kayaks, the shell is great. Technically the shell is removable but that's a pain in the but so I've never taken it off.

Jason has a Dealer in Tyler. Which model is yours and what was the installed cost?

I guess I'm on the fence between a camper top and a Tonneau Cover. I can find numerous sites that claim improved fuel economy for the Tonneau but non of the camper top sites mention the same. I think someone earlier called their truck a "mall hauler" and for the most part that is what mine will be. I am a BSA scout master and once a month we are traveling to a campsite, so storage of gear is always a concern and a camper shell would truly give me the best option to fill that need. I'm worried though that I will see a decrease in mileage with the top.... Those of you that have or had shells in the past what has been your experience? I'm leaning towards a LEER with a set of rails on top to put the Kayaks on.

Good choice! My Leer 100XQ is setting at the canopy dealer's waiting for me to get a truck delivered. I had a Leer on my 2002 Silverado and I was very happy with it.