2014 Toppers, Caps, Campers

• 2 weeks later...

On my 15 GMC Sierra Crew I'm Going with the Bestop "Supertop" soft option since I haul my dirt bikes around but need a place to put the dogs out of the rain here in the PacNW - anyone have knowledge or history with the soft top options / feedback before I pull the trigger? Cost is around $700 +$100/install and it folds down and forward out of the way to actually use the truck bed. Gal I stopped that had one on her Tacoma said she liked it and didn't leak but that's about all the real world input I've gotten.

Thanks...ML

On my 15 GMC Sierra Crew I'm Going with the Bestop "Supertop" soft option since I haul my dirt bikes around but need a place to put the dogs out of the rain here in the PacNW - anyone have knowledge or history with the soft top options / feedback before I pull the trigger? Cost is around $700 +$100/install and it folds down and forward out of the way to actually use the truck bed. Gal I stopped that had one on her Tacoma said she liked it and didn't leak but that's about all the real world input I've gotten.

Thanks...ML

Never have seen a truck with the supertop but there are a few Toyotas around here with a Softtopper. I think I might go that rout myself.

I'm also going to build some drawers and a platform like I did in my dad's truck. Makes sleeping in the bed a little nicer and the dogs ride in soft crates in the back. We made this one a little tall, mine will be just as high as the wheel wells.

0120162111_zpsqhjotkzk.jpg

I just purchased a SnugTop Rebel for my 2015 GMC Sierra Crew. I live in BC and with the current exchange rate it was over $3K (ouch). When I went to have it "installed" they basically, put the cab on the back and then handed me a giant bag of wires /connectors. They didn't hook-up any of the electronics: brake light, interior dome light, remote lock. I'm a pretty handy guy, but electronics is definitely not my forte and I didn't feel like messing around with my brand new truck's wiring.

Fast forward a month after a 7500 km trip to SoCal. I take the truck with cap into my GMC dealer and ask them to hook-up the electronics on the cap. I figured this was pretty commonplace/simple for a technician who works on these trucks everyday. 6 hours later - they only managed to get the brake lights working (I could have done that) and the tech damaged an interior door panel (dealer is replacing that).

Anyway - I'm pretty bummed, all this cash and it's not dialled-in yet. Any advice on where I should take it to have it fully installed. Obviously, I need to take it somewhere with techs who know how to deal with vehicle electronics. I'd appreciate your comments: first truck and first cap.

Wow that is crazy that they did not hook up any of the electronics! Why wouldn't they install them? Any authorized dealer should install them.

The brake light gets tapped from the drivers side brake light on the tail light and only takes 10 minutes. I have no idea why it took the dealer 6 hours...that is ridiculous :bs:

The remote lock gets hooked up just like a Pop&Lock. you run the wire from the shell under bed along the frame to under the drivers seat floor rubber grommet where your feet are & feed/tap the wires to the main harness in the door sill. this should take about 40 minutes.

this video shows you where to tap into and how to run the wire basically!

The Dome light has a few options:

1) If you have a perimeter bed lighting kit just tap into that where the harness is behind the tail light. 10 minutes

2) if you do not have the perimeter bed lighting kit tap into where the bed light kit is under the bed by the spare tire.

Member Corwest did a great write up on how to do this with extra bed lights!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/163465-how-to-non-gm-bed-rail-lights-bumper-step-lighting/?hl=bed+lighting

this video shows the bed perimeter kit install. 30 minutes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn1y1pzvxfwqtwj/2014TruckBedCargoLampKitInstallation.pdf?dl=0

3) tap into the hot line from your trailer harness. 10 minutes :thumbs:

Edited by Alexantics
  • Like 2

Alexantics - thank you for your lengthy post - may give it a go myself!

Yes - it is crazy that they didn't hook-up the electronics.

Dealer - not sure what happened there. Just couldn't figure it out I guess (dome light and lock).

Wow that is crazy that they did not hook up any of the electronics! Why wouldn't they install them? Any authorized dealer should install them.

The brake light gets tapped from the drivers side brake light on the tail light and only takes 10 minutes. I have no idea why it took the dealer 6 hours...that is ridiculous :bs:

The remote lock gets hooked up just like a Pop&Lock. you run the wire from the shell under bed along the frame to under the drivers seat floor rubber grommet where your feet are & feed/tap the wires to the main harness in the door sill. this should take about 40 minutes.

this video shows you where to tap into and how to run the wire basically!

The Dome light has a few options:

1) If you have a perimeter bed lighting kit just tap into that where the harness is behind the tail light. 10 minutes

2) if you do not have the perimeter bed lighting kit tap into where the bed light kit is under the bed by the spare tire.

Member Corwest did a great write up on how to do this with extra bed lights!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/163465-how-to-non-gm-bed-rail-lights-bumper-step-lighting/?hl=bed+lighting

this video shows the bed perimeter kit install. 30 minutes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn1y1pzvxfwqtwj/2014TruckBedCargoLampKitInstallation.pdf?dl=0

3) tap into the hot line from your trailer harness. 10 minutes :thumbs:

Deciding if I want one or not. Couldn't find many '15 regular cabs with them, so I decided to photoshop one on myself.

Added a sun visor tint and window tint as well :P

You guys like them on regular cabs?

ZXxFJcu.jpg

cX3tqNH.jpg

Edited by Dsgn
  • Like 2

Deciding if I want one or not. Couldn't find many '15 regular cabs with them, so I decided to photoshop one on myself.

Added a sun visor tint and window tint as well :P

You guys like them on regular cabs?

ZXxFJcu.jpg

cX3tqNH.jpg

I actually like the look! It gives you a lot more cargo room!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just realized I never posted pictures of my topper after I got it!

I made the drive up to Amarillo and got the Leer 100 XR from FX Motor Sports, who I would HIGHLY recommend if you're in west Texas and want a camper!
I got mine with pet screens, keyless entry, headliner and a removable sliding front window.

Here it is at the shop while they were programming the keyless entry
5502518C-5168-44FD-9057-B8EB9C09A044.jpg

Post install, after riding some local Amarillo trails

30221e82-fc85-4af5-b3f3-38f65aeec86f.jpg

Image.png.jpeg