2014 Toppers, Caps, Campers

FYI...I have a top of the line Leer 100XQ for sale in the classified section if anyone is interested let me know. Buying a different brand truck so need to sell

It's the same model as the white one in the previous post pictures

Edited by magstar67

Which brand and model is this? What's the approx. cost? Thanks

Hard to say for sure but might be a Snugtop. Some of their's have that lip along the bottom edge. I think it depends on the truck, their Rebel model as it on some trucks but not all. Looks like that Sierra shell also doesn't have side windows. I think any shell can be ordered that way if that's what you are looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

ARE Z series. Screen side windows and drop down front slider for ease of cleaning. Cap fits well and no leaks even in the car wash. I have 2 big labs and they love it, I put down a rubber floor mat and 2 big dog beds and they love it. Now wet dirty dogs can make a mess and I don't even care. They have never seen the inside of my cab and won't unless I am stuck in a traffic jam and it's 20 below. There is nothing better than a pickup with a cap, and if needed I have a pulley system to pop it off in minutes with 4 clamps. I had an Excursion for 13 years and it smelled like a wet dog and hair everywhere.

post-157863-0-02211100-1481672827_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had to take out my Z-Series Topper the other day and noticed that on the four corners the topper has caused some damage to the plastic cover on the tail gate and on the paint next behind the cab. Anybody on here has had a chance to take there topper off with any damage done to the there new truck?

763d6ee664b56dc80290443df73c01a3.jpg5b8f761cd53fa17983bd096e7baf326a.jpg

Got an ARE Z series topper installed today. Keyless entry on the rear glass tilt down slider up front and dual LED rope lights with prop switch. Think I'll like it. I know it will come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased the LED rope light. Do you know what wire was used to connect these wires to on the your truck?

I had to take out my Z-Series Topper the other day and noticed that on the four corners the topper has caused some damage to the plastic cover on the tail gate and on the paint next behind the cab. Anybody on here has had a chance to take there topper off with any damage done to the there new truck?

I've had Leer, Snugtop, and ARE campers on various trucks and they all rub someplace. There are too many variables in placement and variances from truck to truck for them not to rub a few places. To fit like consumers want them to fit (so they look factory and sleek as opposed to what they looked like 20 years ago) they are close to the truck surfaces unfortunately.

I usually mount them, then look to see if they are close anywhere, then raise it up and put wood blocks under it to get it up away from truck and sand any rubbing fiberglass areas from backside slightly so they stop rubbing the paint or plastic trim. The plastic trim being rubbed doesn't bother me personally.

I just purchased the LED rope light. Do you know what wire was used to connect these wires to on the your truck?

Not a clue. The dealer I got the topper from did the install.

I wired mine into the factory bed lights, that way they come on with the switch inside the truck and will also also automatically go off if you forget to turn them off.

I wired mine into the factory bed lights, that way they come on with the switch inside the truck and will also also automatically go off if you forget to turn them off.

Thanks magstar67 I think this is what I'll end up doing.

I've had Leer, Snugtop, and ARE campers on various trucks and they all rub someplace. There are too many variables in placement and variances from truck to truck for them not to rub a few places. To fit like consumers want them to fit (so they look factory and sleek as opposed to what they looked like 20 years ago) they are close to the truck surfaces unfortunately.

I usually mount them, then look to see if they are close anywhere, then raise it up and put wood blocks under it to get it up away from truck and sand any rubbing fiberglass areas from backside slightly so they stop rubbing the paint or plastic trim. The plastic trim being rubbed doesn't bother me personally.

magstart67,

You are correct this was exactly what my topper dealer told me also. I'd hate to say this but if your a topper dealer and you already have experience and understand these variables why don't you go beyond your comfort zone and add the needed shims / spacers to prevent these types of damages. This is my first truck with a topper and if I knew yes it could have been prevented. Just wanted to vent and see what some peoples thoughts on this subject would be as we are spending $2500 on these toppers and having it go onto a $50K brand new truck there should be no damage put upon them especially the paint as it will rust.

magstart67,

You are correct this was exactly what my topper dealer told me also. I'd hate to say this but if your a topper dealer and you already have experience and understand these variables why don't you go beyond your comfort zone and add the needed shims / spacers to prevent these types of damages. This is my first truck with a topper and if I knew yes it could have been prevented. Just wanted to vent and see what some peoples thoughts on this subject would be as we are spending $2500 on these toppers and having it go onto a $50K brand new truck there should be no damage put upon them especially the paint as it will rust.

I agree completely! The fit and finish on them is pretty bad for that $2500 price too.

I have a question, actually I have a few but I'll get to the rest later. I need to wire mine up and I haven't pulled my tail lights yet to see if I can just tap off of the driver side tail light, is it still a two wire to the stop light (in the tail light)?

I know that sounds silly to ask but this being my first brand new ever truck I'm not sure if its LED and if I'll need a logic box.

I have the bed lighting so I'll tap the dome light off of that.

Edited by Rosedog

Thanks magstar67 I think this is what I'll end up doing.

I have the factory bed rail lights and I don't think I would like them wired to that. Think of it this way; you get home, get out of the truck, open the rear topper glass and then figure out you need the light. So now you have to go back in the truck turn the light on get out what you wanted to from the back, go back inside of the truck to turn the lights off. Sounds like no fun. I have the rear glass switch so when I open it it automatically turns them on and then off when I close it. I can also bypass the switch in situations I don't want the light on. Or if I have the glass shut but want the lights on. To me it's the best way to do it. But to each there own. And if you already have a light on the topper you can just get your juice from there.

I have the factory bed rail lights and I don't think I would like them wired to that. Think of it this way; you get home, get out of the truck, open the rear topper glass and then figure out you need the light. So now you have to go back in the truck turn the light on get out what you wanted to from the back, go back inside of the truck to turn the lights off. Sounds like no fun. I have the rear glass switch so when I open it it automatically turns them on and then off when I close it. I can also bypass the switch in situations I don't want the light on. Or if I have the glass shut but want the lights on. To me it's the best way to do it. But to each there own. And if you already have a light on the topper you can just get your juice from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

Jimmyjam,

Very good point on this also. If I were to go this route can you take a picture or indicate to me what wire you tapped into in order to get a constant 12V. The topper dealer tapped into a wire harness that was located behind the spare tire and this is to the brake lights so the topper brake lights work. If you can tell the color or picture this wire is so the LED strip light works that would be great.