2014 Toppers, Caps, Campers

any recommendations for a an aluminum/lighter topper that is easily put on and taken off? need one for huntin season only sometimes to keep gear dry, but don't want/need to have on every day

I haven't seen an XTR yet, what struck you as being that much better about them?

The style, size, shape of the side and rear windows makes the canopy look like an integral part of the truck. The roof racks and ribs on the roof also compliment the ribs on the cab of our trucks. SnugTop has a great reputation for quality but they cost considerably more than other popular alternatives.

The style, size, shape of the side and rear windows makes the canopy look like an integral part of the truck. The roof racks and ribs on the roof also compliment the ribs on the cab of our trucks. SnugTop has a great reputation for quality but they cost considerably more than other popular alternatives.

Donstar it looks like you opted for the "Snugliner" aka: Carpet on the roof and bed option? Totally recommend that! I mean everybody on this site knows I only care about the "topper"

Boy buys truck to become a man but only becomes a dude! Dude buys TOPPER and now becomes a man! Hell, I even like looking at Snugtops on the back of F-150'S. How they get em to look so good and cover up that DINNER PLATE SIZE top of the tailgate is beyond me......When you can sell a 2.7L in a full-size truck I guess it's just as easy to sell the 10" wide tailgate/DINNER PLATE TOP!

Edited by mookdoc6

Donstar it looks like you opted for the "Snugliner" aka: Carpet on the roof and bed option? Totally recommend that! I mean everybody on this site knows I only care about the "topper"

Boy buys truck to become a man but only becomes a dude! Dude buys TOPPER and now becomes a man! Hell, I even like looking at Snugtops on the back of F-150'S. How they get em to look so good and cover up that DINNER PLATE SIZE top of the tailgate is beyond me......When you can sell a 2.7L in a full-size truck I guess it's just as easy to sell the 10" wide tailgate/DINNER PLATE TOP!

I ordered the Century with carpet on the roof at this point but the bed rug is on my list of wants! I like the term "snugliner"! I am looking forward to the convenience of a canopy. Last time I owned one was on my '91 GMC. It was both handy and a P.I.T.A. However, the scope of my uses have changed and I suspect the topper will be an overall welcomed improvement!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally happy with my topper project... Found a used ATC topper on CL but it was Brownstone Metallic, so I knew I had to wrap/paint/line-x it for the truck. Ended up going with a 3M Gloss Black wrap and I am very happy with the result. I do not like the "old man vibe" of the topper but it's so functional, I'll never go back.

dgUZaBs.jpg

Used toppers are a great deal (I paid 800 installed for this one with drop down rear window, sliding side windows, and mesh window covers) plus the cost of the wrap. If you can find one local, I'd check it out.

• Like 2

Finally happy with my topper project... Found a used ATC topper on CL but it was Brownstone Metallic, so I knew I had to wrap/paint/line-x it for the truck. Ended up going with a 3M Gloss Black wrap and I am very happy with the result. I do not like the "old man vibe" of the topper but it's so functional, I'll never go back.

Used toppers are a great deal (I paid 800 installed for this one with drop down rear window, sliding side windows, and mesh window covers) plus the cost of the wrap. If you can find one local, I'd check it out.

If your truck has an "old man vibe" then this must be a good thing! Your truck looks great!

dgUZaBs.jpg

Once you go Topper you never go back!

dgUZaBs.jpg

So I have friends that poke fun at me about the whole "old man vibe" but the topper is the best purchase I've made for my truck. That thing is so convenient and useful it's awesome!

Plus... It REALLY set's off the look of a leveled truck with some bigger tires, which you have!

Ever since I got my topper I can't help but double take at my truck sometimes... I love it!

Welcome to the club!

I agree, definitely the most useful purchase I've made for the truck. Leer 100XQ:

gallery_154453_3_2719738.jpg

Hey, would you mind posting. Few more pics, I have a midnight edition and you are the first person to have onenwhtn a leer XQ top which I am also shopping at! So, I would appreciate any additional pics... also how does it do as far as water tightness goes?

My cap is being installed this afternoon and I am rather excited! It has been at the store for a week but with Easter etc. installation was delayed. I am a little apprehensive about the wiring but the company I am dealing with has a good reputation. Any recommendations as to what to look for after the install is complete?

• Like 1

Walk around and push/pull all corners like your trying to rip it off the truck. Absolutely no slop the truck should move with it as a whole. Make sure all the windows if you have any are working properly and the hinges etc. Check the weather stripping etc. If your concerned about paint wear etc. now is the time to place something on tailgate where the back window plastic drops down onto top of tailgate......I should talk as I look at the rubbing spot everyday and think I need to do something about this! If you have a light and wiring should be neat and pretty with a switch.

Check that the remote lock if you have one works!

Let us know what you think too! I love toppers more than the truck. Heck, I even look at toppers on F-150's