Temp Sensor Not Working!

I just can't win... first my HID power issue, then the LED reverse bulbs aggravation, and now my outside temp isn't registering correctly!

I unhooked the battery for about an hour today and after reconnecting my external temp will only read 32 degrees. I thought maybe it was on metric, but when I actually switched everything to metric it changed to 0 degrees. You may wonder, what's the urgency? Well... if I put my auto-climate on any temp other than the Low setting, it blows hot air full blast b/c it thinks it's freezing outside. Only the Low temp setting will blow cold air. Looks like I'll be at the dealer tomorrow for 07:30.

:tear::help::sick::cry::banghead:

Sounds like maybe it got bumped or there's a loose connection with the sensor. I'm not sure it applies here but GM hides them around the drivers side headlight on a lot of their vehicles...

It's behind the grille. You can reach it if you put your hand through the gap left and below the G in GMC. When the sun comes up, I'm going to poke around under the hood and make sure I didn't bump anything.

The fact that it changed from 32 to 37 makes me think it's a software glitch. Dunno.

Edited by MotoMedic

Well, it resolved itself. Started the truck this morning and temp display now correct.

So apparently if you disconnect the battery, the truck needs several hours to 'get its bearings' ha.

I had the same thing happen with my old Cobalt SS. Dealership could never replicate it and it always went back to normal after a few hours...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well, it resolved itself. Started the truck this morning and temp display now correct.

So apparently if you disconnect the battery, the truck needs several hours to 'get its bearings' ha.

Good to know! Glad it fixed itself.

- Sent from my sexy iPhone.

They don't use a solar sensor in the dash anymore? That's what biased the climate control in older trucks, such as my '06.

Climate control uses data from interior & exterior temp sensors, as well as the dash solar sensor.

When I started truck about an hour after reconnecting battery last night (and after beginning this thread), the A/C began to work correctly again. The exterior temp worked correctly when I started my truck first thing this morning. Looking back, the battery was actually unhooked for 2-3 hours, so I guess the factory systems are just slow to catch up after being completely without power for an extended period.

I've been running errands all day with zero issues :thumbs:

• Like 1

Like I said I had that happen a few times with my old Cobalt. It would correct itself after a couple ignition cycles on and off. I never disconnected the battery on that car either. Not sure what caused it beit I wasn't the only one. I read about other Cobalt prefers having the same issue. Maybe if GM is still using the same type sensor is the same issue?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 2 years later...

This just happened to me. disconnected battery to install AIRAID MIT tube and now my truck thinks it is 32 degrees and the A/C won't blow hard. It is actually 100 degrees out. Hope it fixes itself soon! Sweating over here! LOL!

You have to drive it for a bit after the battery is disconnected and it will go back up. GM bulletin in this thread:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/176957-2015-silverado-1500-temperature-gauge-stuck-at-32-degrees/

Thanks!

So I went out and drove it. Set cruise at 47 and in like 2 minutes, it jumped from 40 degrees to 80, then counted up to 97 one number at a time real quick.

Edited by b1gted