Not sure what vehicle, but most you remove the spare tire and then you should be able to get to the mounting bolts.

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk 4

How do I remove the spare tire hoist?

Are you talking about lowering the tire or actually removing the hoist? Once the tire is down, it's a matter of a few bolts

Sorry I forgot to post my vehicle a 2001 suburban 1500 4wd.

There is only one bolt but I am having trouble removing the tubing.

There is a clip that holds tube to the bumper. Looks like a star washer only bent to fit hole?( hard to describe) Should be able to take small flat screwdriver and pop it loose. Then tube will come loose.

Yes, there is a star washer thingy as Matt described.

Could not remove it in one piece. Had to cut it with side cutters, mangling it to get it off.

Dealer supplied me with replacement for small $.

When mine needed to be replaced back in '06 or '07 it was because I was less than a mile away from getting on the freeway and my spare tire fell off in the middle of the street! lol

I was driving away from school and I heard a huge thump, then looked back and saw the tire in the middle of the road, luckily no one hit it or vice versa.

Mine fell off turning into a bank parking lot back in 08. I put it back on finally a couple months ago with a new winch, new bolt (old one somehow stripped), and red loctite

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Disposed of mine when it froze in place and wouldn't lower. Took a sawz all to the cable and then chunked it in the trash

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

I ditched mine when it jammed as well. Easier access in the bed anyways.

Simple, keep on driving it and at some point it will fall off.

At 140k Miles mine fell off (mount ripped free of the truck bed). Fortunately no one was behind me in traffic.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By The.Sundae.Drive
      This is a pretty easy and straight forward guide but hopefully it will be helpful for those that have ever wondered how this is done!

• By SkippyG4
      We are selling items from our 2 2014 Silverado z71's that are take offs from our stock trucks.

We are selling the stock wheel/tire setups, the skid plates, spare tires, floor mats and shocks.

First up Tire info:

Brand new take-offs (~2k miles on them) from 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 truck.
      6-lug 18" aluminum wheels with Goodyear Wrangler P265/65R18 raised white letter tires.
      Like NEW condition!
      Will fit any full size Chevy or GMC 6-lug vehicle (Silverado, Sierra, Avalanche, Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, Escalade, etc.).
      $950.00 per complete set of (4) - 2 sets for sale.

Shocks:
      These are like-new front & rear Rancho shocks pulled from a 2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 1500 pickup (had the offroad package).
      They were pulled around 2k miles when a lift kit was installed on the truck.
      $100.00 for the complete set. 2 Complete sets available.

Skid Plate:
      Front plastic skid plate from a 2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 1500 Pickup.
      $40.00 - 2 of these

Spare Tires:

Brand new, never used, GM 6-Lug steel wheel with tire.
      Goodyear Wrangler HP tire on steel wheel, P265/70R17
      I have a set of (2), both new, never used.
      $175.00/each or $325.00 for the pair

Floor Mats

Pulled from a 2014 Chevy Silverado when new.
      $50.00 for the complete set of (4) - 2 complete sets available.

• By 00Silverado4x4
      So I'm doing some work on the wife's Jeep, changing oil, air filter, fluid top offs and since she was saying the Tire Pressure idiot light was on, I checked her tires. As I do I figured I'd check mine too. Well wouldn't you know it, my spare tire was low...oh wait it's completely FLAT.

Now wait, I check my tires around once a month.... so I starting looking around and found a huge cut/gash in the side wall of the tire. If that wasn't enough the cut went through the sidewall. It looked like 3 sides of a 4 sided square "something" went through the rubber. In it's short left, this tire had a total of MAYBE 10 miles on it. Only ever had one flat that was repaired same day. Tread was brand new and now I've got to replace it? Ugh! Well $40 later, I got a used tire to slap on the truck in case of need.

Good News and Lessons Learned:
      My daughter now knows how to get the spare down out of my truck. The tire carrier wasn't bound up so I didn't need to be further "aggravated" at the situation. I think I've found the "clunk" my truck developed over the last month that was starting to drive me nuts. Obviously with no air in the tire, it was allowed to move around just enough to make some noise...hope it was, no "clunking" yet.

Advice:
      Check your tires often, to include the spare. If you have a unexplainable noise in your truck, don't discount what it "couldn't possible be" without verification.

Thanks for letting me vent!