2014 Chevrolet Silverado towing test - Ike Gauntlet

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keep in mind this is an extreme towing test

• at max tow ratings (3:08 gears) when you add in passengers
  • towing up at least 7% grade
  • towing at altitude where you loose up to 30% hp / torque

Hardly hard to watch. You take the highest ratio GM offers with a mid lime motor and pit against Ford's best motor for the test with 3.73s and the Tundra with 4.30s and I'd say it did pretty good. Plus, while I haven't watched their other tests I think they really hurt the time by trying to keep RPMs down so the truck loses speed.

But damn is that a sweet sounding exhaust note! I may not have to buy an exhaust system when I get mine.

Hardly hard to watch. You take the highest ratio GM offers with a mid lime motor and pit against Ford's best motor for the test with 3.73s and the Tundra with 4.30s and I'd say it did pretty good. Plus, while I haven't watched their other tests I think they really hurt the time by trying to keep RPMs down so the truck loses speed.

But damn is that a sweet sounding exhaust note! I may not have to buy an exhaust system when I get mine.

They did say that truck configuration was the only one they could get from GM. Maybe next time they can test a 5.3 with 3:42 or like you said (and they mention in the video) 6.2 and 3:73

As far as keeping the RPM's down thats the fault of the 3:08S. They were not exceeding the 60 mph speed limit and leaving the shifting up to the truck like all the other tests. :-)

This is a true showing of what rear end gears can do - people watching and posting in the thread on rear end gears and wheel/tire combos.

I have noticed when trying to configure these trucks - you can't seem to get the z71 stuff and towing stuff - like the larger mirrors.

I would like to see the 3.73 gear set with the 5.3 - that would really put that engine in a sweet spot RPM wise.

I currently tow a 6000 lb Travel Trailer with my 2500HD 6.0L 6sp 4.10 gears - I love to climb hills in 4th gear - 3500 RPM 55 MPH.

Hardly hard to watch. You take the highest ratio GM offers with a mid lime motor and pit against Ford's best motor for the test with 3.73s and the Tundra with 4.30s and I'd say it did pretty good. Plus, while I haven't watched their other tests I think they really hurt the time by trying to keep RPMs down so the truck loses speed. But damn is that a sweet sounding exhaust note! I may not have to buy an exhaust system when I get mine.

agreed... stupid that they would bring a truck with 3.08's....... they make 3.42's an option for a reason

They did say that truck configuration was the only one they could get from GM. Maybe next time they can test a 5.3 with 3:42 or like you said (and they mention in the video) 6.2 and 3:73

As far as keeping the RPM's down thats the fault of the 3:08S. They were not exceeding the 60 mph speed limit and leaving the shifting up to the truck like all the other tests. :-)

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize they had a set speed in mind. I realize its an attempt at consistency but they were being passed left and right at that speed and what I've done before when driving even regular cars that were gutless in the mountains was leave it in highest gear that was still responsive and let the engine scream. Modern cars and trucks aren't going to get damaged by that and especially these trucks seem to have excellent cooling systems so overheating shouldn't be a concern.

I have not seen the other videos either - but I wonder how close to Max they ran the other trucks - The poor Chevy was probably right at its CGWR - were the other's that close.

I am glad that they admitted that this was not the preferred way to do the test and that they really could not compare the trucks under load.

I would like to see the same test with either the 5.3 /w/ 3.73 or perhaps the 6.2 with 3.42

Holy moly that truck was suffering with that axle ratio. GM are shooting themselves in the foot by allowing the press to use these weak axles, because even if they do inform us of it in the video, the general population doesn't acknowledge it and thinks that GM can't tow.

They should have put a lot of effort into having the 3.73 or lower ready for early press tests such as these. Everything that has been done in previous videos has been a walk in the park and the 3.08 was good enough.

And I can't stand tests with different engines, axle ratios, cab configurations, tires, etc. It's completely pointless.

Wow. Anything but strong. Why on earth would GM even send a 5.3L truck to that test? GM should have passed on this test until a truck engine that was more focused on working than a 5.3L with the 3.08 rear end. I doubt the 3.42 would have done much better with the new 5.3 engine. This test makes it look like the GM trucks need the 3.73 & 6.2 for anything more than grocery bags.

The 3.08 rear end may not be ideal, but the 5.3 is absolutely the "working" engine for this truck, there is no doubt it'll be the one used most by those who "work" their trucks. The 6.2 is not going to be a mass production setup.

Also I find it amusing how all of a sudden 355hp383tq is all of a sudden not enough - majority of people posting on this site are running around in weak ass 315hp trucks, he'll the new 5.3 isn't far off in power from the outgoing 6.2

Archived