Painted front grill

Natek

I hate chrome in general so It's the first major mod I plan on tackling. If I could of gotten mine color matched instead of the chrome I would have. I've seen a few up close fully color matched and they look SO much better. Gm needs to take it easy on the chrome or at least offer a chrome delete option.

He said it was painted. He also mentioned that he got it a shade off. It was hard to tell unless you looked real close. He painted the front grill, front and rear bumpers, and the steps. I should've snapped more pictures. I really want to do this to my truck but I think I'll let a paint shop fool with mine.

Yeah, I could tell just by the picture you posted it was a shade off. I'm having a local body shop do mine when it comes time.

This is just my opinion, and I know many of you will disagree. That's cool, because if we all thought the same way, all our trucks would look the same, and I'd have a hard time finding mine in a parking lot.

Maybe I'm getting old, no I guess I really am getting old. I remember when the cheapest model trucks had painted bumpers and grilles. The upscale versions had chrome bumpers and grilles, rear bumpers were optional. Chrome plating used to be cheap to get done. Guys were sending stuff from their cars, trucks, and motorcycles,to get plated at the local chrome shop. Not so much anymore, mostly because E.P.A regs and such made plating expensive and most local shops closed.. Manufacturers started "color matching" to save on costs. Now color matched is the "in" thing. A lot of guys hate chrome. Me, I still like it tastefully applied. Why? I'm old, so I don't have to go along with the crowd, and I like the look. Chrome also is way more durable than paint. It makes a lot of sense to have a lot of chrome up front where you catch rocks and bugs. If you drive your truck a lot the paint will chip, but the chrome will still look as good as new.

This is just my opinion, and I know many of you will disagree. That's cool, because if we all thought the same way, all our trucks would look the same, and I'd have a hard time finding mine in a parking lot.

Maybe I'm getting old, no I guess I really am getting old. I remember when the cheapest model trucks had painted bumpers and grilles. The upscale versions had chrome bumpers and grilles, rear bumpers were optional. Chrome plating used to be cheap to get done. Guys were sending stuff from their cars, trucks, and motorcycles,to get plated at the local chrome shop. Not so much anymore, mostly because E.P.A regs and such made plating expensive and most local shops closed.. Manufacturers started "color matching" to save on costs. Now color matched is the "in" thing. A lot of guys hate chrome. Me, I still like it tastefully applied. Why? I'm old, so I don't have to go along with the crowd, and I like the look. Chrome also is way more durable than paint. It makes a lot of sense to have a lot of chrome up front where you catch rocks and bugs. If you drive your truck a lot the paint will chip, but the chrome will still look as good as new.

You are correct about color matching being in. I think that trend developed mainly because most of our vehicles are chrome laden, and having colormatched parts stands out from the vast majority of "off the lot" rides. I really don't see many colormatched from the factory at all. My truck for example has been freed from it's chrome cage, but our new Tahoe will embrace it. I think both looks can be accomplished tastefully.

IMO, chrome is fine on metal parts but is tacky on plastic ones. 90% of the "chrome" on the newer trucks is just painted plastic. Chrome bumper - fine. Chrome wheels - fine. Chrome plastic around the windows, door handles, bug guards, grill, around the headlights, fender flares, etc. - cheesy.

• 5 months later...

I saw a black SLE today that was all color matched. Man it looked awesome!

Really makes me want to do something with all that chrome on mine. By far the worst thing on these new body styles.

• 8 months later...

Archived