For equivalent regional tools, refer to  Special
Tools

Learn Mode Description

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system uses the instrument panel cluster
(IPC), body control module (BCM), remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR),
keyless entry transmitter, 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and
the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor
learn procedure must be performed after every tire rotation, RCDLR replacement,
or sensor replacement. Once the learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors
unique identification codes can be learned into the RCDLR memory. When a sensor
ID has been learned, the RCDLR sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a
horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted its ID and the RCDLR has
received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn the sensor IDs in the proper
sequence to determine correct sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned
to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear
and the fourth to left rear. The turn signals will individually illuminate
indicating which location is to be learned in the proper sequence.

Sensor Functions Using EL-46079, EL-50448, or Equivalent

Each sensor has an internal low frequency coil. When the TPM special tool is
used in activate mode, it produces a low frequency transmission that activates
the sensor. The sensor responds to a low frequency activation by transmitting in
learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn
mode, it will assign that sensors ID to the location on the vehicle relative to
the order in which it was learned.

Learn Mode Cancellation

The learn mode will cancel if the ignition is cycled to OFF or if more than
2 minutes has elapsed for any sensor that has not been learned. If the learn
mode is cancelled before the first sensor is learned, the original sensor IDs
will be maintained. If the learn mode is canceled after the first sensor is
learned, the following will occur:

• All stored sensor IDs will be invalidated in the RCDLR memory.

• If equipped, the DIC will display dashes instead of tire pressures.

• DTC C0775 will be set.

These conditions will now require the learn procedure to be repeated for the
system to function properly.

TPM Learn Procedure

Note: In the event a particular sensor's information is displayed on
the special tool upon activation but the horn does not chirp, it may be
necessary to rotate the wheel valve stem to a different position due to the
sensor signal is being blocked by another component.

TPM Learn
Enable Methods
  1. Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the
    following procedures:
    • Using a scan tool, initiate the TPM Learn Mode. A double horn chirp will
      sound indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal
      will also be illuminated.

• On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless
      entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds
      indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also
      be illuminated.

• On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver
      information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the
      DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp
      sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal
      will also be illuminated.

2. Starting with the left front tire, active the sensor by
    holding the antenna of the TPM special tool aimed upward against the tire
    sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release
    the Activate button. Ensure that the transmit indicator on the special tool
    indicates that the sensor activation signal is being transmitted. Wait for a
    horn chirp. If the horn does not chirp, repeat the sensor activation sequence
    with the tool. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is
    learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

3. After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn
    signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the
    following order:
    1. Right front

2. Right rear

3. Left rear

4. When the left rear sensor has been learned and a double horn
    chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete

I picked up a electronic TPMS reset tool from my dealer. I have 2 sets of wheels and tires (stock summer & studded snow tires for winter) for my truck so a relearn tool was needed at least twice a year for me. Much easier than the old letting air out of your tire procedure, but it is stupid that we have to buy a tool just so we can rotate our own tires.

Personally I hate the entire TPMS mandate! Who needs a government mandate to tell them to check the air in their tires??? Hey winter is coming soon, make sure you put 78% nitrogen winter air in your tires for proper traction :D

I replaced my factory tires with Cooper Zeon LTZ 305,50/20 they are not the 10 ply, max pressure is 50 psi and I bought the learn tool and went through this procedure 5 times and it has not worked after all the research it seems I have to have the dealer change the trigger presser to 50 PSI in the ECM to make the light stay off is this correct?

I replaced my factory tires with Cooper Zeon LTZ 305,50/20 they are not the 10 ply, max pressure is 50 psi and I bought the learn tool and went through this procedure 5 times and it has not worked after all the research it seems I have to have the dealer change the trigger presser to 50 PSI in the ECM to make the light stay off is this correct?

Yes, you will need the dealer to change the pressure from the factory setting. They should do it for you when they see the max pressure on the sidewall of your new tires. The learn tool only lets the system learn where each sensor is located.

What is the cost of the tool to reset position of tires?

I paid around $70 at my dealer (good guy price). It's the same one the techs were using in the shop to reset customers vehicles.

• 1 year later...

TPMS reset can be done without a tool. This works on my 2011 GMC 2500HD. I think it works on most up to 2012(think they changed that year). Earlier models used the light switch instead of the lock buttons on the key fob. Switch the lights back and forth from Auto to Parking Light 4 times in 4 seconds to activate.

CLEAR TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR ERROR ON DIC (DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER)

The tire pressure monitor (TPMS) system uses the passenger door module (PDM), the body control module (BCM), the remote key fob, the 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors in the tire valves, and the serial data circuit to perform the sensor learn mode functions.

LEARN MODE DESCRIPTION

In order to read correctly, the sensors relearn procedure must be performed any time the PDM is replaced, a tire sensor is replaced, or after the vehicle's tires have been rotated. Once the relearn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors' unique identification code can be programmed ("learned") into the PDM's memory. When a sensor's ID code has been learned, the PDM sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted it’s ID code and the PDM has received it. As soon as the first sensor ID code is learned, all other IDs are erased from the PDM's memory.

LEARN MODE CANCELLATION
The TPM system will cancel the learn mode if more than 2 minutes have passed and no sensors have been learned, or if the system has been in learn mode for more than 5 minutes. If the learn mode is canceled before any sensor has been learned, the PDM will remember all current sensor IDs and their locations.

STEP BY STEP:

1. Turn "ON" the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Hold down the Lock and Unlock on the remote key fob until the horn chirps twice and the Low Tire Relearn message shows on the DIC.

CAUTION: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

IMPORTANT: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors, turn the ignition "OFF" to exit the learn mode and repeat the procedure from step 1.

4. Starting with the Left Front tire, increase or decrease the pressure for 8-10 seconds or until the horn chirps once. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.

5. After the horn chirps, proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
B-- Right front C-- Right rear C-- Left rear

6. After all sensors have been “learned”, the horn will chirp 2 times. Then exit the learn mode by turning "OFF" the ignition.

7. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended psi.

8. Check the dash DIC to see that the correct tire pressure is listed.

Take note: If you do a wheel rotation, they may still work fine. The only problem is that they won't read the correct tire. Let's say you did a same side tire rotation, front to back. Now let's say you get a nail in the driver side front tire, and the air leaks out. On your display, it will show that your driver side REAR tire is low on pressure. So best to do a TPMS reset. FYI – the Low Tire Warning will go on/off at 5psi under recommended on door jam.

Archived