2014 Sierra Anti-theft question

Hey Guys,

Just ordered a 2014 Sierra SLT Crew 4x4 with the All Terrain pkg and was wondering about the anti-theft system they have in these trucks. I have already downloaded the 2014 owners manual from GM and read it cover to cover and one line caught my attention regarding anti-theft and it reads:

"This vehicle has theft-deterrent features; however, they do not make the vehicle impossible to steal".

I also live in a city where vehicle thefts are quite high, especially newer pickup trucks that are usually found within hours stripped and burnt to the ground on a particular indian reserve north of here. Happened to a guy I know, the cops told him it is nearly a daily occurance. I'd like to avoid this..

My question is should I install an additional alarm? If so, can you recommend the best to get? I currently have a 2006 Sierra and it came with a Viper alarm the previous owner put in. This alarm disables the starter so it can't be hotwired. If you don't disable the alarm from the keychain and get in and turn the key nothing happens, truck won't start until you press the unlock button. I like this feature and thinking about adding one to the new truck.

What are your thoughts?, Opinions? Suggestions? Is it a waste of money to install one? Are these new-age car thieves able to disarm these new alarms and simply drive away? Any other precautions I can take?

I appreciate all of your answers and advice, thank you in advance..

- Alan

Aftermarket alarms are mostly a waste. No alarm will keep the truck from being stolen so that text in the manual is just a disclaimer. The GM system disables the fuel pump I think. About the only thing that might be worthwhile is a two-way alarm that sends an alert to the key fob when the alarm is triggered. But you need to be close enough for that to work and running out to confront a thief may not be the best idea either.

Keep the factory set up... aftermarket isn't that much better.. plus you run the risk of screwing up all the factory functions by going aftermarket. Way too many computers in these new trucks to be adding "fuel to the fire" by installing more.

Having On Star helps in case the truck was to get stolen.

• 1 month later...

You could install a hidden kill-switch. Most common is a relay/solenoid between the battery and starter to prevent ignition. If done properly and discretely, it'll stop theft or at least frustrate/delay a thief for hopefully long enough that someone notices them (as they'd have to open hood and crawl in to bypass)