Tow Mirrors

WOW!!! This whole thing is just becoming more unbelieveable with each passing day. After determining it was just wishful thinking on the part of my dealer that he will find tow mirrors to put on the 2014 1500 I contracted to purchase which he has on his lot, it just got worse. I went to Chevy.com, build and price option to see what it would cost to put together the truck I need to pull my travel trailer. It appears GM has adopted the mindset they had the 60's when Honda, Toyota and Nissan hit the west coast in force for the first time. That is to say, " If we don't make what they want to buy, they will buy what we make". Trying to put together a truck with the "Max Trailering" package the computer would describe the package, display the little spinning logo that shows it is processing, then uncheck the box in front of "Max Trailering". I pushed the "CHAT" button and asked what was happening. I was told the "Max Trailering" package would not load because it was no longer available. I plan to call the dealer first thing to check the veracity of this information. Could it really be that now you can not order a truck with tow mirrors? No How, No Way? After 25 plus years of CKs and Silverados is the only solution to the headaches is spelled "RAM" or "F-150". If anybody knows what is really going on, Please Post.

A) Don't trust the chat people, they're usually wrong and clueless.

B) GM's "Build Your Own" websites are notoriously buggy. They don't verify their functionality and problems like these happen frequently. I find that their supplier discount website works slightly better. Theoretically, it shouldn't uncheck any box without giving you a warning first, but I found that that rarely happens.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know how the wiring differs between the two? I have the basic powers and if I swap, I'd like to go with the power/heat/turn, unless the wiring is not plug and play, or a simple swap.

Has anyone taken apart either to see? I can take mine off and count wires and take a pic if someone with tows can do the same.

Total (shipping may vary) through gmpartsonline.net is 462.26 for basic and 636.60 for the upgraded ones.

I ordered a set, so in a week or so I should have more answers. Search the part numbers in ebay--$587.78 shipped for the pair.

the only active ones popping up are individuals. There is an ended auction for 600. I can see the plug on it sort of. Now I need to look at mine or find a pic of the basic one and see if they are similar. I'm assuming/hoping so. If not, when yours arrive, can you get some good pics of the connectors?

I got some pics of the two off of ebay...

It's hard to see the connectors to tell, but the fourth bolt is there. I will just wait till yours come in and get a better pic of it.

Tow Mirror with options: Correct part numbers on them for 2014

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Basic:

5.jpg

6.jpg

the only active ones popping up are individuals. There is an ended auction for 600. I can see the plug on it sort of. Now I need to look at mine or find a pic of the basic one and see if they are similar. I'm assuming/hoping so. If not, when yours arrive, can you get some good pics of the connectors?

I got them from allstarautomotivegroup, they were listed individually but I added each to the cart and then checked out. Shipping is free so it wouldn't matter either way.

I did study pics of the plugs for the tow vs. non-tow 2014's a while back and concluded they're probably the same. I won't know for sure until I actually try though.

Are there any after-maket mirrors available for 2014.? I know there are some for the 2013 and earlier. Also for the 2013 and earlier there are snap on extensions. I would assume both options will be available in the future.

I have been unable to find anything for the 2014's yet. It'll come eventually, it depends on how big a hurry you're in. Some of the aftermarket stuff will be cheaper as well.

I got them from allstarautomotivegroup, they were listed individually but I added each to the cart and then checked out. Shipping is free so it wouldn't matter either way.

I did study pics of the plugs for the tow vs. non-tow 2014's a while back and concluded they're probably the same. I won't know for sure until I actually try though.

Ah. That's what it looked like from the pics I found too. I will be awaiting your findings then. Thanks.

Good news folks! They work!

IMG_20140320_013124_462.jpg

IMG_20140320_013141_612.jpg

I'll have more details and pics later, but for now just know it's an easy swap. The first one took about an hour as I figured stuff out, the second about 15 minutes. Drilliing the extra hole takes about 30 seconds each side, other than that it's a straight swap. Plug and play. Power works, blinker works and heat works. Memory obviously doesn't work but it doesn't make them "go crazy" either--they simply don't move at all. So it looks like there's no need for reprogramming.

Success!

Good news folks! They work!

I'll have more details and pics later, but for now just know it's an easy swap. The first one took about an hour as I figured stuff out, the second about 15 minutes. Drilliing the extra hole takes about 30 seconds each side, other than that it's a straight swap. Plug and play. Power works, blinker works and heat works. Memory obviously doesn't work but it doesn't make them "go crazy" either--they simply don't move at all. So it looks like there's no need for reprogramming.

Success!

Looks like another thing to add to the list...

Thanks for the update

You think these would work on a 2015 2500? I got to looking at the mirror on the 2015 vs a 2013 2500. The plastic that mounts up flush to the door it wider (front to back) on the older then the newer. Does that just flush mount up against the door?

Does anyone know if the mirror wiring harness on LT/LT2 trucks carries the turn signal wire?

In other words, if purchasing the tow mirrors (with integrated signals), will it be plug and play to get the turn signal mirrors to work?

The stock mirrors for the LT/LT2 trim don't include signals.

Does anyone know if the mirror wiring harness on LT/LT2 trucks carries the turn signal wire?

In other words, if purchasing the tow mirrors (with integrated signals), will it be plug and play to get the turn signal mirrors to work?

The stock mirrors for the LT/LT2 trim don't include signals.

Just going off of my 2008 sierra. I'm going to guess yes. I installed tow mirrors on it and the signal worked fine it was plug and play. My stock mirrors has no signal.

Archived