Tow Mirrors

Thanks from me also, OldAFVet. I just ordered a pair of these mirrors for my 2014 Sierra 1500 SLE from the same vendor you used.

Any chance you could share some photos of your installation process? In particular, I'm a bit nervous about pulling off the trim and door panel to get at the mirror mounting and plug. That's all new territory for me and I'd hate to screw up my nice new truck by damaging the interior trim just because I don't know the way the retaining clips, etc. work. If you or anyone else on the forum has some clear instructions on how to remove these trim items, they would be much appreciated. I doubt that I will be the only guy with no body work experience doing this mirror installation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Frank

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm pissed now....Ordered set off of Amazon that are for a 13-14 Silverado. Got them today and here is the part number on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-20862098-Driver-Mirror-Outside/dp/B005VV0HEC

These do not fit, the three mounting screws you see on that pic are not in the right place. That's not the place I bought mine from.

go with the gm ones, get on ebay and find actual gm ones, not aftermarket copies. the little bit more you pay is well worth the guaranteed fit as well as plug and play capabilities

How does that plastic cover come off to access the mirror bolts? I just took a look and it goes all the way around the window? Don't want to break the plastic.

I started at the front edge of the cover, you can peel it back enough to peek in there. Then around the window frame start separating it. You'll get stuck at the back edge of the cover. You need to pull the inner door cover back at the corner a ways to "unlock" that edge of the triangle cover.

Curiosity got the better of me and I went out and pulled back the plastic for a look see at the inside of my door where the mirror mounts. I have a factory equipped Max tow LTZ with the tow mirrors. I can say the inside looks exactly like Jon's does with no noteable difference on the inside.

Thanks for doing that. That's kind of what I figured. I can say even if they do something that isn't obvious, the structure on mine is substantial and a big improvement over previous years. They are solid as a rock. Any vibrations are going to be coming from the mirror mechanism itself (which may be more common/more severe with cheaper aftermarket mirrors when they're available).

That said, at times I can see a bit of vibration in my passenger side mirror on the freeway. It's such a small amount you need to be looking for it to notice, but I was so I did. It's not enough to affect the view in any way.

Overall, I'm very happy with the change. Parking is a bit more of a PITA, but on the road they're going to be so much safer. I'm about to add a camper shell, and while they're better than they used to be, they still block quite a bit of your view in the rearview/over the shoulder. So they'll be very nice to have even when not towing.

I do have a couple more simple questions. When you fold these in and then back out to normal position, do they lock in a groove or are they just stiff and stay where you stop pushing? Do the big mirrors vibrate at high speeds? I bought an aftermarket set for my old 2010 and they were awful on the interstate, couldn't see anything out of them.

They solidly lock in a detent so they'll go to the same spot every time. I mention vibration above--a tiny bit detectable, but not enough to hamper your view in any way.

I can unfortunately confirm that on LT trucks that came with stock mirrors without integrated turn signals, the signals do not automatically light up on the tow mirrors.

The on-vehicle wiring harness is chock full of wires, so perhaps this is a feature that the dealer can enable.

I'll be asking my dealer next time I have the vehicle in for service.

If anyone has information on this, it'd be great!

Sounds like they're probably wired, just not "turned on." I'll bet the dealer can fix that with programming by telling the BCM it now has the different mirrors.

That does look good!

i dont mind them in plastic form but it seems when you paint them it really makes it look nice.

not sure how it would look on brighter colored trucks but I think if your black or tungsten or brownstone its the way to go

I started at the front edge of the cover, you can peel it back enough to peek in there. Then around the window frame start separating it. You'll get stuck at the back edge of the cover. You need to pull the inner door cover back at the corner a ways to "unlock" that edge of the triangle cover.

Does it just snap in all the way around the window frame?

Here is how I installed my tow mirrors.

You will need the mirrors GM Part Numbers 22820397 and 22820398. These mirrors will have four mounting studs rather than the three on the standard mrrors. You will need two additional nuts to mount the tow mirrors. The correct nuts are M6x1 with a self retained washer. The washer is a concave spring washer. The parts guru at my Chevy dealer told me they are GM part number 25601643. He had none in stock so I have some on order. I used some standard M6 flange nuts (from Home Depot) and some small fender washers so I could install the mirrors now, but I will use the OEM parts as soon as they come in. I think the self retained spring washer is critical to a proper installation since the mirrors are subjuected to wind stress and vibration. I used both of the substitute nuts on the same mirror so I will only need to get in to one door panel when the OEM parts come in.

The first thing you need to do is remove the door trim panels. I found some excellent instructions for doing this on the Silverado/Sierra forum posted by “wildchevy” I am attaching a copy of the instructions with some notes I added mentioning some things I discovered during my installation.

Re: 2014 Silverado/Sierra 1500 interior door panel removal

icon_post_target.gifby wildchevy » Dec 22 2013, 1:56am

I hope this helps you out. I would like to thank wildchevy for this extremely valuable indformation. I have added some additional comments that make it a little easier. All of my commentary will be highlighted to separate it from wildchevy's original instructions.

Remove the front side door armrest cover trim. Refer to Front Side Door Armrest Cover Trim Replacement. This cover is a flimsy piece of plastic. It is held in place by some tiny and easily broken plastic hooks on the top and some very substantial door trim clips on the bottom. It is extremely important that you get all the bottom clips completely out before you try to slip off the top hooks or you will break the tiny plastic hooks off. I have attached a picture of the back of the trim piece so you can tell where the clips are to pry them out.2014-1.gif

Armrest cover showing spring clips

gallery_128333_2585_35581.jpg

Front Side Door Inside Handle Bolt Finish Cap

Front Side Door Inside Handle Fastener

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.

Front Side Door Armrest Pull Cup Bolt Cap

Front Side Door Armrest Pull Cup Fastener (Qty: 2)

Front Side Door Trim Bracket Fastener This self tapping screw is the one that is recessesed about three inches. It is below and to the right of the screws immediately below the window controls. The screws immediately below the window controls do not need to be removed.

Armrest showing deep recessed screw that fastens armrest to door

gallery_128333_2585_45835.jpg

Front Side Door Trim Panel Fastener (Qty: 2)

Front Side Door Trim Assembly

Procedure
 1. Gently pull the door trim panel straight away from the door including along the upper edge.
 2. Use the appropriate plastic trim toolicon1.png to aid in the removal of the door trim panel.
 3. Pull upwards on the door lock retainer cableicon1.png to disengage.
 4. Disconnect the electrical connector. 2014.gif

Front Side Door Armrest Cover Trim Assembly

Procedure

Use a small flat-bladed tool to release the integral clips from the front side door trim panel.

Front Side Door Window Garnish Molding Clip (Qty:2)

Procedure
 1. Open the front side door to the full open position.
 2. Remove the front side door trim. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Replacement.
 3. Using the appropriate tool, remove the push-in clips from the door frame.

Front Side Door Window Garnish Molding

Procedure
 1. Pull the garnish molding out of the door frame.
 2. Ensure that the garnish molding is fully seated in the door frame.
Note: Inspect the door for proper operation before installing the door trim.

2014-2.gif

I did not totally remove the lower door panel. I leaned it against the door and left the latch cable and electrical wires connected. The window should be fully lowered for the mirror removal and installation so you can reach through to support the mirrors. Door with original mirror installed.
Factory Mirror

med_gallery_128333_2585_13646.jpg

Mirror Wiring

med_gallery_128333_2585_165836.jpg

Unplug wiring and remove and save the M6 nuts with retained washers while holding up the mirror with you other hand if you don't have a helper. Put the mirror where it will not get broken for future disposal on Ebay.

Door with mirror removed and site of hole to drill center punched

med_gallery_128333_2585_172788.jpg

Drill a pilot hole where you marked with the center punch. The sheet metal is very hard and the drill will walk all over without a pilot hole. I drilled the final mounting hole to 3/8ths which is the approximate size of the other mounting holes.

Door with new mounting hole drilled

med_gallery_128333_2585_79780.jpg

Feed the wires through the large center hole and using the guide pin position the mirror in the proper spot. Secure the mirror with the M6 nut/washer combos and tighten. Plug in the electrical connection.

Door with tow mirror installed

med_gallery_128333_2585_23251.jpg

Check the mirror for function. It should have any functions the original mirror had with the exception of power folding. Though the mirror is set up for the turn signal function, if you did not have that function before you will not have it now.
Install the upper trim first, starting from the lock side of the door and working to the hinge side of the door.

Upper trim lock side

gallery_128333_2585_91888.jpg

Upper trim hinge side

gallery_128333_2585_105026.jpg

Using the reverse of the removal procedure install the door panel. The second mirror will be much easier and faster. I found the mounting area to be at least as solid as my 2007 which I installed telescoping tow mirrors on. It seems solid enough for a chimp to swing on. I think the plastic the mirrors are made of would break before the triple layer of sheet metal fail.

Completed Project

med_gallery_128333_2585_373616.jpg

Archived