Tow Mirrors

Not mine but when I was over at the dealership today they did have the first one that I have seen in person with the tow mirrors. Sorry about the snow on it I was with my salesman I doubt he would have been up for me brushing it off LOL

1781126_10202877316557965_866857368_o.jp

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE! Thanks for posting the pic. I feel much better now about how the truck will look. I actually think those mirrors give the truck a bit more of an aggressive look. Can't wait to get mine.

Yeah when I pulled in I noticed it, because of the mirrors I didn't look close and actually thought it was a 3/4 ton. My buddy the salesman was running me back to work and noticed it where they drop off the new vehicles. He is colorblind and said "what is that truck over there" thinking it may have been mine just dropped off because of the mirrors. He got my hopes up for a couple seconds LOL. It does look pretty aggressive though.

Craig

Cipa is supposed to be close to releasing their slip ons..... I guess until then if you had to those strap on ones are universal

Cipa is claiming a mid-March to early-April ship date for the 2014 slip on mirrors. They say they just entered molding (last I called them, they said that the molds were in machining, so they appear to be giving out valid information), but obviously they need to do QA and make a big enough run to fulfill initial orders before shipping.

I believe that the custom silp on mirrors are made in the USA also, unlike the generic "universal fit" style, which are Chinese.

Does anybody know if the memory function works with these? Apparently it didn't on the last Gen trucks.

I was curious about this also. Johnnyee confirmed (on his personal truck) for me just now that the memory function does not work with the mirrors. As KMGZ400 stated they are probably carryover and lack the position sensors in them. Probably another reason they are a no cost option over the standard LTZ mirrors.

Craig

Where can I buy/order these mirrors?

You can buy them from any GM parts dealer but they will not fit your truck. GM did some poor decision making and added a fourth mounting stud and door reinforcement only to truck that had these when built. If your truck came with standard mirrors, that's all you can get.

If the standard '14 mirrors attach the same way the '13's did, it's unlikely they made the door weaker in that area. It's more likely they added the 4th point to the tow mirrors as an improvement (maybe should have had it all along) and make a simple accommodation for it on the doors.

If that's the case, those without the tow mirrors could still add aftermarket ones just like the prior years. There are aftermarket mirrors that look and function just like the OEM tow mirrors as well different styles that add more function (blind spot warning, retaining memory, etc).

It'll be interesting to see what's what when the first guy opens up his '14 door to take a look.

From what I can tell staring at pics on ebay with my calibrated eyeball, I'm 90% sure (but only 90%) no mirrors that fit 2013's will fit the 2014's. So even though some sellers are listing mirrors as fitting both years, I'm betting they won't fit the 2014's.

It looks to me like they enlarged the footprint--increasing the spacing between the three fasteners on the 2014's. It looks like that footprint is the same for the OEM tow mirrors but there's a 4th bolt added (within that footprint). So if somebody wants to retrofit tow mirrors right now, I believe the OEM 2014 tow mirrors would go on with the least modification--either drill another hole for the 4th bolt or grind that bolt off the mirror. And if you have memory mirrors, you'd need to have the dealer re-program your BCM to turn that function off.

Eventually, the aftermarket will have bolt on replacments available for 2014's, it's just a matter of time. The good thing is with the larger footprint, these should be less prone to vibration than either aftermarket or OEM 2013-earlier tow mirrors.

Like I said, I'm only about 90% sure of the above. Until somebody rips open his door and looks, we won't know 100%.

I can personally attest to the fact that the new factory tow mirrors do not vibrate and are rock solid. Jon A, when you talk about the footprint, is there an exterior measurement on that black attachment plate that you need or do you already have it? I can't get inside the door, but I can measure those outside parts.

Looking to buy a 2014 1500. My dealer has one with everything I need except the tow mirrors, a must have for our travel trailer if I ever plan to back it up. Parts guy and service manager have searched for tech bulletin saying dealer add on of tow mirriors is not possible and could not find it. Does anybody have the date or number of the bulletin? Parts wizard at my dealer researched the doors on the 2014 1500. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! The part number for a replacement door for a truck with extended mirrors is the same as the part number for the replacement door for a truck without extended mirrors. I hate to kick $4K in incentives to the curb and order one with the "max trailering" package so I can be sure to get the mirrors, but don't want another truck that is not up to par for pulling the new travel trailer. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Looking to buy a 2014 1500. My dealer has one with everything I need except the tow mirrors, a must have for our travel trailer if I ever plan to back it up. Parts guy and service manager have searched for tech bulletin saying dealer add on of tow mirriors is not possible and could not find it. Does anybody have the date or number of the bulletin? Parts wizard at my dealer researched the doors on the 2014 1500. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! The part number for a replacement door for a truck with extended mirrors is the same as the part number for the replacement door for a truck without extended mirrors. I hate to kick $4K in incentives to the curb and order one with the "max trailering" package so I can be sure to get the mirrors, but don't want another truck that is not up to par for pulling the new travel trailer. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Really really weird I have read the PI pertaining to the mounting of the mirrors but it does not show up now in ESI. you may have to get your parts guy to get a hold of engineering. I have a 14 with Max tow and trailer mirrors I can measure anything you would like in regards to the mirrors.

Craig

Archived