Swap 2014 SLE Headlights for SLT w/ LEDs?

On my SLT it's the LOWER row of LED's that light up for the DRL's . When the parking lights/headlights/foglights get turned on both rows of LED's light up.

Correct... and I hate GM for that setup! Every GM vehicle with LED's uses all of them as DRL's except the Sierra where only half turn on during the day. That's weak! I'm still hoping to eventually find an override or mod that forces all the LED's to turn on during the day.

• Like 1

On my SLT it's the LOWER row of LED's that light up for the DRL's . When the parking lights/headlights/foglights get turned on both rows of LED's light up.

Correct... and I hate GM for that setup! Every GM vehicle with LED's uses all of them as DRL's except the Sierra where only half turn on during the day. That's weak! I'm still hoping to eventually find an override or mod that forces all the LED's to turn on during the day.

I agree. They would look awesome all lit up together...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Might be a dumb question and I don't have the LED's, but wouldn't you be able to just tie the power wire in to a 12v switched source to keep both on at all times?

That might be harder than you think. These lights actually have a little computer or something on the back of them..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That might be harder than you think. These lights actually have a little computer or something on the back of them.. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ah i see. I just pulled up a pic and looked at them. I wish i could get my hands on a set and it didnt cost me a small fortune lol. Id definitely tinker with them. I would assume the small computer thing is a relay that switches the top/bottom led's on depending on the signal given from the truck's output source (if your lights are on/ high beam/ low beam). With that said, maybe remove the relay and hard wire the LED's? when the price of the headlamps finally drop down a bit i will get a set and do this to see if it works. I just cant justify dropping ~$800 (whats ive seen on ebay) for a set of lights to tear apart haha

I would also assume that if this is a possibility, you wouldnt need the endging harness (for the non LED guys and gals) to hook them up since you wouldnt be tying into the truck's output source.

Moto is our resident chief lighting hacker ... he will figure it out.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but sadly my truck (and so this forum) have taken a backseat lately to other responsibilities. I haven't even washed her all September.

The wiring inside the housing is so short/tight that you can't see which wires go to the top LED. And there are a bunch of wires coming off housing's ECM... way more than you'd expect.

So there's basically two options:

a) Reprogram the truck to turn on both LED strips as DRL's (which is beyond my knowledge/abilities),

b) Cut open the housing to find out which wires go where and attempt to rewire top and bottom LED's together.

I plan to try option b one day, if no one figures it out before me.... but doubtful it'll be anytime soon. Life keeps getting in the way.

I have the 2014 All Terrain with the SLT/Z71 blah blah blah package. from what i can tell is that during the day only the bottom LED lights are but when in drive, if i park the truck to get out to check it out ( truck is in park) both led lights are on, and of course when dusk comes then all lights. I have seen in my reflection if i hit the fog lights on with out main lights on then both led's are on and the parking lights!

Edited by stiggy1

a) Reprogram the truck to turn on both LED strips as DRL's (which is beyond my knowledge/abilities),

Well we will find out more tomorrow on this! I will be at the dealer in the morning with their wiring/programming wiz to find out the code differences between the SLE low-beam daytime versus the SLT 1 bar of LEDs daytime. During this process I'm going to see if he can trigger all the LEDs to run bright during daytime. We shall see!!

Edited by ibleedgreen