Westin Oval Tube Steps

Shaners

I waited for eight months to get these steps!!!  The reason I waited was because the design is awesome and the Westin name is one of the best in the business.

I'm not very happy with Westin right now...  I don't know if the chrome is bad or the aluminum is not anodized, but after 6-7 weeks of winter, these things are junk...  I sure hope they stand behind them.  I emailed both Westin and the company I ordered them from tonight.  :cheers:

One pic is with a flash and the other is not.

post-52-71998-corrosion__2_.jpg

post-52-71972-corrosion.jpg

wow man that looks BAD.  Makes my black ones that are all scratched up look pretty.

Westin should stand behind them.  I know the guy at the rhino lining shop said they have never had a problem replacing nerf bars under warranty

Sorry, I know this is dumb to ask, but I just wanna remove all the doubt from my mind.

Those are Rust Spots, right?

The chrome appears to have pitted, and the aluminum underneath doesn't appear to have been treated for corrosion (anodizing).

The driver side only has one or two spots on it...

LIFETIME WARRANTY

For Stainless Steel (CPS)

And Aluminum Products

Westin Automotive Products, Inc. guarantees the original purchaser of Platinum SeriesTM Step Bars, Chrome-Plated Stainless (CPS) Steel Safari Light Bars, CPS Bull Bars, CPS Tail Light Guards, Sportsman CPS Grille Guards and Aluminum Oval Tube Step Bars a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects in materials, workmanship and finish under normal use excluding damage resulting from from road hazards such as gravel or other debris, shipping damage, product misuse, improper installation, impairments from accidents, product modifications or product neglect. This lifetime warranty applies only to new products and is limited to the repair or replacement of Westin products. Warranty does not include costs of removal, installation, labor, inconvenience or consequential damages. Original purchaser must return defective merchandise, along with the purchase receipt, to the original place of purchase.

FINISH PROTECTION

Westin products have a high quality finish that must be cared for like any other exposed finish on the vehicle. Protect the finish with a non-abrasive automotive wax, (e.g. Pure Carnauba) on a regular basis. The use of any soap, polish or wax that contains an abrasive is detrimental, as the compounds scratch the finish and open it to corrosion.

FIVE YEAR WARRANTY

For Step Boards, Powder Coated Steel & Chrome Plated Steel Products

Westin Automotive Products, Inc. guarantees the original purchaser of Westin products a five-year warranty from the date of original purchase against manufacturer defects in materials, workmanship and finish under normal use excluding damage resulting from road hazards such as gravel or other debris, product misuse, improper installation, impairments from accidents, product modifications or product neglect. This five year warranty applies only to new products and is limited to the repair or replacement of Westin products. Warranty does not include electrical components or light bulb replacement, costs of removal, installation, labor, inconvenience or consequential damages. Original purchaser must return defective merchandise, along with the purchase receipt, to the original place of purchase.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

And Aluminum Products

excluding damage resulting from from road hazards such as gravel or other debris, shipping damage, product misuse, improper installation, impairments from accidents, product modifications or product neglect.

I posted this before in Shaner's orginal post.  This is what concerns me about these bars.

LIFETIME WARRANTY

And Aluminum Products

excluding damage resulting from from road hazards such as gravel or other debris, shipping damage, product misuse, improper installation, impairments from accidents, product modifications or product neglect.

I posted this before in Shaner's orginal post.  This is what concerns me about these bars.

We'll find out...  

I'm sure they (Westin) will stand behind their product.  Otherwise they will be out of business...  Certainly they will take a big hit on these bars if they are all like mine (I know two of us with the problem) , and they will have to replace them all...  

The damage to my bars and my friends is not from thrown stones, but corrosion.

It is either a crappy chroming process or a cheap aluminum underneath.

#### I wish these were a chrome plated stainless like the CPS nerfs I had on my last truck.  Those were great bars!!!

Don't you see? That's their loophole clause.  "excluding damage resulting from from road hazards such as gravel or other debris,".  They can say that rocks/gravel made small pits in the chrome which made a place for corrosion to start (which is the way rust is going to start in the first place unless you never drive off of the pavement). Bang.  You're up a creek and left holding the bag.  This is why I'm very cautious as to what is going to happen 3,4,5, or more years down the road.

I think they are great looking bars and I hope they set you up with some new ones.  They cost a lot of money and shouldn't look like that.  I was hoping for some better reviews as I'm still looking for bars for my truck also.  Good luck and keep us up to date!

Shane,

Something is definately wrong there.  I've had my Westin CPS bars through 2 winters now and they still look brand new(save the few scratches on them).  But even where there are scratches, there is nothing out of the normal(no rust, discoloration, etc).  

I hope they send you out new steps soon.  Good luck.

Steve

I just now read this thread.  Geez, I hope they replace these - sounds like a manufacturing problem to me.  I mean, like someone posted earlier, if everybody's was doing this they wouldn't be in business very long.  :smash:

Good luck and keep us posted!

I still haven't heard from them yet.  I'm not pushing the issue yet, because the last thing I want to do is take them off in this weather.

It's pretty obvious it's a manufactures' defect.  Either chrome was bad or the aluminum wasn't properly treated.  These steps are Westins' first attempt at an Aluminum product.  In my mind I think they have been having problems since they first initialized the product line.  My bars were delayed for 8 months from the time that Westin accepted the order.

I doubt I'll ever get my money back, since it is a "replacement warrenty", but if were to get my money back, I would look hard at the bars from DrawTite (yes, the hitch company).  Their bars aren't quite as nice as the Westin design, but they are chrome plated stainless, like the Westin CPS Nerfs...

Archived