2015 HD's - do you think GM hit a home run or should have done mor

If you work those trucks hard, the turbos blow up and take out valves...look it up. I agree the are waaaay better than previous, still not right tho .

FWIW the worst ones are 6.0 and 6.4. The 7.3s weren't bad, still had issues tho.

I can't agree on that.

My work truck tows a heavy trailer since day one.

I went through one set of tires in under 50 000 km (got a little in trouble on that...lol).

So I push this truck hard.

Just came back from Calgary. The cruise set at 110km/h up and down the mountains.

I did not even once get the feeling that the engine is at its limits.

Ok let's see another 50 000km down the road. But until now...it is a good and strong engine.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you work those trucks hard, the turbos blow up and take out valves...look it up. I agree the are waaaay better than previous, still not right tho .

FWIW the worst ones are 6.0 and 6.4. The 7.3s weren't bad, still had issues tho.

I can't agree on that.

My work truck tows a heavy trailer since day one.

I went through one set of tires in under 50 000 km (got a little in trouble on that...lol).

So I push this truck hard.

Just came back from Calgary. The cruise set at 110km/h up and down the mountains.

I did not even once get the feeling that the engine is at its limits.

Ok let's see another 50 000km down the road. But until now...it is a good and strong engine.

so long

j-ten-ner

I'm not saying they they are horrible, light years ahead of the old designs...but they do have some issues. My dad has one too only been in the shop once for a sensor. Pulls a trailer too, the issues come from guys running big tunes. Turbo can't take it.

Back to topic...;-)

I really like the design of the Silverado HD more than the Sierra HD.

The Silverado is so sharp looking. Already asked my Boss to get me one the next time he's buying a new truck...lol (too bad he is a Ford guy).

As per the power numbers. I don't think they have to be always on top.

I rather have a proved and improved (reliability) engine than 5 HP more as the competition.

Nearly 400 HP and 800 Nm is plenty of power.

If one needs more the next step is a Semi-Truck.

so long

j-ten-ner

Why does everybody get stuck on HP numbers? Pickup trucks are only rated to pull so much weight so why would you need 4-500 hp? Just to say you have it?

Semi trucks are putting down 400-550 hp and once again hp numbers don't mean nothing its all about torque which is the strength of the motor and there pulling 60,000 lbs to a max of 80,000 lbs and that's all torque and gearing to pull that weight not hp.

Why does everybody get stuck on HP numbers? Pickup trucks are only rated to pull so much weight so why would you need 4-500 hp? Just to say you have it?

Semi trucks are putting down 400-550 hp and once again hp numbers don't mean nothing its all about torque which is the strength of the motor and there pulling 60,000 lbs to a max of 80,000 lbs and that's all torque and gearing to pull that weight not hp.

Right.

But look at the displacement of a semi truck engine.

To gain torque you'll have to get more displacement or charge the engine with a turbo, compressor or chemicals like nitrogen.

In any case the cylinder is filled with more air (oxygen for that matter) and that means it needs more fuel to keep the stoechiometric ratio.

If you choose to keep the displacement and charge the engine it will necessarily raise the HP numbers.

At the same time you have to keep an eye on a clean exhaust.

What I'm trying to say is if one wants to stay at 200HP but gain torque up to 1000Nm the engine is likely a 10L low rpm engine with the max torque at 900rpm.

The truck would run like a farm tractor.

so long

j-ten-ner

WTF is wrong with the new HD trucks??

I love the way the new Silverado HD looks. Knowing GM´s product policy it was so clear that they would only adopt the interior and exterior look of the new K2xx platform for this trucks. The HD chassis and engines just had a major overhaul in 2011...still best in class. And who the f*** needs this Corvette motor in an HD truck??

The Duramax is a beast as it is and the so called outdated 6.0l is one of the best workhorses out there...hands down

And who needs all of this fancy hp numbers??Just take a look at

HP doesn't matter, Duramax will still pull the best. Seat of the pants take off will feel the strongest as well, both other brands are much heavier trucks.

Which is funny because the GM frame is way stiffer.

I think a revamped 6.0 would do really well. With the DI I think something around a 7 liter would still deliver good economy and would be a torque monster.

I think it is more and more difficult to get more HP and torque out of the engines and at the same time reduce the fuel consumption and/or emissions.

There will be a point where the engines have to get bigger or smaller with additional breathing aids.

IMO it is now the point to concentrate on existing engine models and make them last longer and more reliable and cleaner.

I drive a Super Duty every day and never! raced another truck. And until now there was no other SD or HD driver trying to race me.

Does it really matter if a heavy truck makes it 5 seconds faster from 0-60 (0-100km/h) in the city?

Didn't think so.

What a nonsense.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edit

@'01LS1

Look at the axle ratios. They reflect exactly the differences in accelerating.

Ford-shortest ratio-fast; Ram with both in the middle; Silverado-longest ratio-slower.

I think it is more and more difficult to get more HP and torque out of the engines and at the same time reduce the fuel consumption and/or emissions.

There will be a point where the engines have to get bigger or smaller with additional breathing aids.

IMO it is now the point to concentrate on existing engine models and make them last longer and more reliable and cleaner.

I drive a Super Duty every day and never! raced another truck. And until now there was no other SD or HD driver trying to race me.

Does it really matter if a heavy truck makes it 5 seconds faster from 0-60 (0-100km/h) in the city?

Didn't think so.

What a nonsense.

so long

j-ten-ner

No it does not matter once one buys their truck. Never raced my dually nor was it ever a thought. Never tuned it either. BUT the point will be the marketing that brand A has 40 hp advantage over brand B or what ever the number turns out to be. It sells trucks obviously as Ford sold many eco boosts on HP torque & fuel mileage claims.

Archived