2014 gmc 1500 5.3 1st oil change

You will get all kinds of responses on when to change the factory fill oil. You pay $40k or over for a vehicle and you want to save money on an oil change? Doesn't make sense. I've done several used oil analysis on the factory fill and as would be expected and normal it has high metal. So getting it out as soon as possible makes sense to keep the abrasive particle filled oil causing more wear.

But then there are classic cases where vehicles are at 300k miles and their first oil change from new was at 5k miles. So I guess it just depends on what makes you sleep well at night.

My wife has myn some where she loves reading car things lol... I run 5 goodyear stores but all data is not on 14 yet just ordered new subscription update ...

Update: just finished oil change was very simple... 15mm drain plug, and filter nice and easy

Mobil 1 full syn 0w20 8.7 quarts to be exact

K&n oil filter part# 2011 ( IMHO i love them)

When I pulled the oil cap I noticed a yellow tint to the drop of oil up top so I drained it all out and the oil deff has almost a yellow/green look to it... Attached pics

image.jpg

Almost looks like the oil after a blown head gasket on my 68 GTO. Of course I'm sure these trucks are using Dexcool.

I changed mine(2013) at around 1000 miles to Mobil 1 synthetic. It had the 24 month free maintenance deal, but the oil life has to be down to 15%. No thanks, that is just cruel & unusual punishment to me.

I change mine around 50%, like I have said before its cheap insurance, oil costs $25 for 5 qts ($40 some total) and a filter about $5. Change it about 3-4X a year.

I'll probably do mine between 500-1000 miles and switch to synthetic. It's cheap insurance. All the vehicles I did this on before (honda engines) always stayed tight until it hit the 120k mile mark.

Archived