Oil catch can?

I run one from Elite Engineering on my sc'ed suburban, had one on my full bolt-on '07 Tahoe too. Not sure if the new engines have the same issues as the GMT-900 and earlier models, but it would be good insurance for a modded motor. IMO on a stock engine it is not necessary.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/pcv-oil-catch-can-and-standard-hardware-ls3-v8-camaro/

I run one from Elite Engineering on my sc'ed suburban, had one on my full bolt-on '07 Tahoe too. Not sure if the new engines have the same issues as the GMT-900 and earlier models, but it would be good insurance for a modded motor. IMO on a stock engine it is not necessary.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/pcv-oil-catch-can-and-standard-hardware-ls3-v8-camaro/

My issue is that in the case this engine is direct injection like how I suspect it is, there's no fuel being sprayed on the intake valve keeping it clean, so all the more reason to have one.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the Rx Catch Can on my 2014 Sierra V6 at 4,000 mi. I havent checked it for oil yet, as I have not driven far. I will say that it has paid for itself already just by giving me peace-of-mind.

IMG_2400dirtysidestockhose.jpg

The dirty-side pcv tube is on the drivers side. I removed this tube and hooked the included hose from the Rx can kit on to the factory hose fittings.

IMG_2401dirtysidestockcloseup.jpg

I removed the throttle body to clean it and inspect for oil deposits inside the intake.

IMG_2402behindthrottle-bodynovalleyventt

You can see some gunk starting to build up on around the butterfly. Easily cleaned

IMG_2408throttlebodygrime.jpg

Having a helper with small hands might be helpful in swabbing out the intake.

IMG_2403smallhands.jpg

I actually got more oil from wrapping a wire loop with a rag.

IMG_2407intakeoilswab.jpg

The hoses flow like this. I ran them up near the top edge of the firewall, then forward along the fender to the unused battery tray area.

IMG_2418installedhoses.jpg

I put a longer bolt in the small diagonal support so I could sandwich the Rx bracket. I chose this location for cooler temp than near or behind engine, to improve condensation.

IMG_2415canmount.jpg

I installed the Rx Catch Can on my 2014 Sierra V6 at 4,000 mi. I havent checked it for oil yet, as I have not driven far. I will say that it has paid for itself already just by giving me peace-of-mind.

IMG_2400dirtysidestockhose.jpg

The dirty-side pcv tube is on the drivers side. I removed this tube and hooked the included hose from the Rx can kit on to the factory hose fittings.

IMG_2401dirtysidestockcloseup.jpg

I removed the throttle body to clean it and inspect for oil deposits inside the intake.

IMG_2402behindthrottle-bodynovalleyventt

You can see some gunk starting to build up on around the butterfly. Easily cleaned

IMG_2408throttlebodygrime.jpg

Having a helper with small hands might be helpful in swabbing out the intake.

IMG_2403smallhands.jpg

I actually got more oil from wrapping a wire loop with a rag.

IMG_2407intakeoilswab.jpg

The hoses flow like this. I ran them up near the top edge of the firewall, then forward along the fender to the unused battery tray area.

IMG_2418installedhoses.jpg

I put a longer bolt in the small diagonal support so I could sandwich the Rx bracket. I chose this location for cooler temp than near or behind engine, to improve condensation.

IMG_2415canmount.jpg

Looks Good! Very nice write up. I had an RX catch can on my 2010 Camaro. Nice units. I'm gonna have to investigate the location of the PCV line on the 5.3. I would guess its close or at least similar.

The only thing I would say might be cautionary about the placement of the can is in the winter time, those cans have a valve, condensation left in it from when the motor is running can freeze shut if they are far enough away from the motor, and cause a blockage in the system. Not saying it's gonna happen, but maybe think about a spot closer to the motor so that inst an issue.

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 1

Nice write up and pics PickUPS. I have my RX can ordered and should be here next week. I agree it will give me peace of mind and make me sleep better. :)

Here is a video on an install on a 2014 Sierra

We use them on airplanes as well. Be sure to clean them out periodically. Maybe once a year. A friend had his plug up on an airplane. We found grease like build-up in it.

Nice write up and pics PickUPS. I have my RX can ordered and should be here next week. I agree it will give me peace of mind and make me sleep better. :)

Which RX can did you order? I was on their website and don't see 2014 pickup engines as an application option.

Thanks

Which RX can did you order? I was on their website and don't see 2014 pickup engines as an application option.

Thanks

I ended up calling them direct and ordering for that very reason. I should have the can in the next day or so and will update when I have it in my hands.

I ended up calling them direct and ordering for that very reason. I should have the can in the next day or so and will update when I have it in my hands.

Thanks for the info. Look forward to your update. If you would be willing to share price for everything you ordered that would be helpful too.

Same opinion here. A catch can is sometimes needed on a forced induction engine because under pressure, oil blow-by occurs. Or the same is true for an older engine with worn piston rings. Some new Dodge engines need them.

So they still haven't addressed how to handle the passenger side line? This is only a partial fix.

So they still haven't addressed how to handle the passenger side line? This is only a partial fix.

That is one of the the 2 clean air intakes correct? I didn't get the clean side separator kit.

Edited by Newm