2014+ Mud Guards / Flaps

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Huskies listed for 2014 are for the 2500's different body?

I went with Husky flaps, installation was very easy and no holes to drill, no wheels to remove. I'll admit the back ones took some work to get on without taking off the wheels, but I did it. http://www.huskyliners.com/product-detail/?category=3 I got mine from Anything Auto.

Mike

The no drill option is for the Silverado 1500 flaps, the Sierra 1500 does not have a no-drill option.There is some differences in the molding if you look at the pictures/installation manual for both.

I got them from gmpartsdirect.com and they were less than $40, minus shipping and tax. They can also be found at shopchevyparts.com for around $35. They are the same ones for Silverado/Sierra.

GMAccessorieszone is http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/GMC/en-US/All-New%202014%20Sierra/2014/Accessories/Exterior/Splash%20Guards%20-%20Front%20Molded/#

Not sure why the numbers are different, other than a Chevy/GMC thing or maybe slight differences in them.

How much were they shipped and tax?

How much were they shipped and tax?

I ordered both front and back from GMpartsdirect.com and the total was $54/front and $54/rear all taxes and shipping included. So, $108 total and about 1 hour of labor for all four.

Can someone post directions for installation for GMC OEM molded flap for sierra 1500 so I have idea how much drilling has to be done for both front and rear.....

Thanks,

Mike

The rear is easy and can be done with standard drill bits. You do have to remove the wheels.

For the front, you don't need to remove the wheels, but you need precise drill bits for the nutsert holes, plus the special nutsert tool. My dealer loaned me the tool, and one of my neighbors has a machine shop in his garage and let me borrow his drill bits. The front is a pain for a typical home mechanic like myself, so next time I'm just going to pay the dealer to do it.

Note to GM: why don't you just make these a factory option like Toyota does?

The rear is easy and can be done with standard drill bits. You do have to remove the wheels.

For the front, you don't need to remove the wheels, but you need precise drill bits for the nutsert holes, plus the special nutsert tool. My dealer loaned me the tool, and one of my neighbors has a machine shop in his garage and let me borrow his drill bits. The front is a pain for a typical home mechanic like myself, so next time I'm just going to pay the dealer to do it.

Note to GM: why don't you just make these a factory option like Toyota does?

Is there any way to do this without that special nutsert tool? My OEM mudflaps will be delivered tomorrow so I'd like to install them this weekend. I have drill bits and reamers already.

Is there any way to do this without that special nutsert tool? My OEM mudflaps will be delivered tomorrow so I'd like to install them this weekend. I have drill bits and reamers already.

You definitely need the nutsert tool if you want to use the hardware that comes with the flaps for the front; no nutserts on the back. Maybe your dealer will let you borrow theirs. It is also possible to buy the tool for about $20, but the challenge is finding a place that has one. Luckily for me there is a large fastener warehouse in my area, because I had to buy a replacement nutsert because I messed up my first attempt. Learn from my mistake: when doing the front, you have to pull back the carpet before installing the nutsert to ensure it blossoms out inside the metal fender. On my first attempt, I tried to install it through the carpet like the directions said. Unfortunately, the nutsert blossomed inside the carpet but outside the sheet metal, which made it useless.

I suppose it's also possible to trash the nutserts and just use sheet metal screws or another type of fastener. I chose to just follow the directions as advertised, with the exception you need to pull the carpet back in front to be sure the nutsert properly installs.

One other tool you'll need for the front is a plastic trim removal tool. While it is possible, I suppose, to remove the fasteners without the tool, it's a whole lot easier with it. I found mine at Sears for $9.

Like I said before, with all the special tools and time it took, next time I'll just have the dealer do it, assuming they have an experienced guy who deals with accessory installs. Even with the special tools and parts I had to buy, I probably saved about $60 over what I would have paid the dealer, but that doesn't consider all the time I spent. If you enjoy working on your truck and aren't concerned about the time, then go for it. But beware, if you mess up one of the holes you drill, there's no turning back, although I guess you could just drill an entirely new hole. Fortunately for me I batted 1000 on the holes and only messed up one nutsert. BTW, if you google nutsert there are a bunch of videos online that show how to do it. Good luck.

Archived